Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 08-25-2013, 08:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 BMW X3, '04 330xi
Anyone else's reverse lights suck?

My 2004 has the absolute worst reverse lights. I actually had to have the wife put it in reverse and check to make sure they were on. Bright as hell when you are looking at them, but they barely light anything up on the ground. Wife is driving the car now, and this might explain why there are tire tracks through the yard!

Anyone upgrade? Suggestions?
Advertisement
Old 08-26-2013, 08:08 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Long a pet peeve of mine! I added some 50w halogen bulbs to my Tahoe and that improved those b/u lights -- but not enough, so I added a couple of halogen lights under the bumper -- mainly for trailer hookups in the dark. None of this would work on the X3 without looking tacky (on a truck, who cares what it looks like -- if it works!) or out of place. I am convinced the b/u lights are just there to indicate to someone behind you that you are in reverse and about to back up. A signal light really, not a serious illuminator and that is sad.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 2.5i
i wish it was easy to replace the stock bulbs, but from what i understand, its a PITA to get to them
Old 08-26-2013, 10:12 AM

Mein Auto: '04 BMW X3, '04 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince217 View Post
i wish it was easy to replace the stock bulbs, but from what i understand, its a PITA to get to them
I'll take a look tonight, but from what I've read online and other bmw forums, the LED bulbs are a lot brighter, but don't actually provide useful light. Another bulb in there would cause obvious issues. I'll figure this out eventually and share back with others.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 3.0i, 6 Speed MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by can0n4 View Post
I'll take a look tonight, but from what I've read online and other bmw forums, the LED bulbs are a lot brighter, but don't actually provide useful light. Another bulb in there would cause obvious issues. I'll figure this out eventually and share back with others.
Let us know what you find for sure... Mine too are worthless as is almost!

BMWCCA Member - New Jersey Chapter
Old 08-27-2013, 06:03 AM

Mein Auto: '04 X3 3.0i
We need a combo center brake/back-up light. If there were two strips of LEDs in the top brake light with one being a white set activated by the back-up lights it might throw good area light.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:40 PM
Sanity is over rated

Mein Auto: Silver 2006 BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince217 View Post
I have new bulbs, high output LEDs but after looking at the rear it looked like a big job to change them out, any diy on changing the bulbs?

Silverstar upgraded headlights
Velocity motoring vb3 19" 9.5 wheels
Yokahama S drive tires
Upgraded stereo system
Dice Mediabridge
Hitch install
Old 09-12-2013, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by elevatorguy925 View Post
... any diy on changing the bulbs?
There are 9 plastic clips/plugs that retain the interior panel of the tailgate.

Knowing where those clips are located helps you in levering them loose.

Pictures show the inside of the panel, and the outside with the spots marked in blue:

Use an appropriate non-marring tool to start pulling the panel free at one corner.
If you are pulling at right angles to the plugs you should not break them.
Once started with one or two, you should be able to use hand force for the rest.

It may be possible to create just enough space in one lower corner to do a bulb change by feel without having to take the panel completely off.

But once a few clips are free, the panel is ready to come off quite easily if moved around.

If the panel is to be taken off completely, you have to carefully disconnect the little red warning light.
On re-assembly, that can be fiddly to reconnect while simultaneously lining the panel up to the plug holes. (A second person as a helper is needed here.)

The thin plastic trim piece that covers the striker plate will fall off when the panel is removed.
It is reattached just by pressing into place.

Not too difficult at all if you approach it methodically, and have that helper on hand.
If you attack it with too much gusto I can see clips getting broken and frustration on getting it reinstalled without introducing rattles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hatch2.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	396439   Click image for larger version

Name:	hatch.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	396440