Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 09-11-2013, 12:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
2007 X3 with battery issues

Okay peeps, I am brand new to this forum and in desperate need of some assistance. I bought my X3 last July and in January (the coldest winter on record) the battery died. My dealer gave me the spiel about having to have the battery programmed to the computer and after having read a bunch of these forums, I found it was not true. They did not realize that it was not an AGM battery that was in it which apparently makes all the difference. So, I drove it a lot during the winter to make sure she charged back up and in April, I replaced it with an Exide SUV battery which I had to replace a few days ago. The battery keeps getting drained somehow and I'm fed up with the dealer. When I go to start it, it's super sluggish and sometimes takes a while to turn over. Does anyone know what the heck this is? Has this happened to anyone else? I'm about ready to trade her in if I can't resolve this. UGH!! HELP.
Ads by Google
Old 09-11-2013, 12:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Try a search for bluetooth module battery drain.

Sometimes the bluetooth module keeps trying to search/pair with a phone when the car is turned off and this drains the battery. I believe the bluetooth module can be unplugged to test to see if this is the culprit. But, you will find better information in those particular posts.

Good luck

BMW CCA #422951

Old 09-11-2013, 12:13 PM

Where can I locate that module? I'm not very BMW electronic savvy.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:44 PM

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittyGirl View Post
When I go to start it, it's super sluggish and sometimes takes a while to turn over. Does anyone know what the heck this is? Has this happened to anyone else?.
It's the starter motor, I have been down exactly the same path as you on my 2007, as have many others. It will leave you stranded within a few weeks. Mine finally died during a bout of 100F weather.

Replacing the starter cured my issues.

It's a very common problem on the N52 engine.

A refurbished BOSCH starter is $170 and the labour is about 4 hours because the intake manifold needs to come off. Total cost at an independent specials is around 500 clams.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:51 AM

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
My dealer gave me the spiel about having to have the battery programmed to the computer and after having read a bunch of these forums, I found it was not true. They did not realize that it was not an AGM battery that was in it which apparently makes all the difference.
AGM batteries don't have to be programed on our cars either. Another nice thing about our old school technology.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:11 AM

Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:
Where can I locate that module? I'm not very BMW electronic savvy.
Make sure you turn off everything before taking the key out.
If the AUX is live when key is out, unplug what is in it.
See if that solves the battery drain problem.
If I suspect a short somewhere, the easy thing is to pull the fuse for the bluetooth and see if that corrects it
Old 09-12-2013, 01:51 PM

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
The BT module issue is this. Only early cars (2004ish) the Assist module (called TCU - Telematics Control Unit) would wake up in the night to phone BMW and upload data via it's inbuilt data modem.

If the car was located close to a paired BT phone, the phone would connect to the BT through the house wall and the TCU would not go back to sleep, leading to a flat battery come morning.

PittyGirl's starter motor is going, like every other 100k mile N52.

EDIT: If it was turning over fine (fast) but took many many extra turns to start in the morning, that's a fuel pump issue.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joylove View Post
The BT module issue is this. Only early cars (2004ish) the Assist module (called TCU - Telematics Control Unit) would wake up in the night to phone BMW and upload data via it's inbuilt data modem.

If the car was located close to a paired BT phone, the phone would connect to the BT through the house wall and the TCU would not go back to sleep, leading to a flat battery come morning.

PittyGirl's starter motor is going, like every other 100k mile N52.

EDIT: If it was turning over fine (fast) but took many many extra turns to start in the morning, that's a fuel pump issue.
Great!! Thanks for the info. Not sure why all these cars have crap you can never get to. I hate having to shell out another $500.00 on this thing. I thought it might be starter related. I'll start with that!! You rock, many thanks!!!
Old 09-18-2013, 03:35 PM

Mein Auto: '91 E30 / '07 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by joylove View Post
It's the starter motor, I have been down exactly the same path as you on my 2007, as have many others. It will leave you stranded within a few weeks. Mine finally died during a bout of 100F weather.

Replacing the starter cured my issues.

It's a very common problem on the N52 engine.

A refurbished BOSCH starter is $170 and the labour is about 4 hours because the intake manifold needs to come off. Total cost at an independent specials is around 500 clams.
+1

Slow start ends up being the contacts in the starter motor beginning to wear down, making less and less current available to the motor. Eventually the contacts wear out and that's it, no start. Mine went at roughly 125K miles.

BMWCCA Member