Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-11-2013, 06:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding View Post
Great news. According to BMW NA my 550i was modified in Germany by BMW during the last week in August and the M Sport Suspension was installed. It is on its way here and will arrive stateside on September 18. I should have it around September 25. This is an unexpected outcome and is by far the best possible solution. I am a very happy camper.

My new 2014 her is very well optioned. My 550i M-Sport is jet black with most options including Mocha Leather, black leather dashboard, B+O Sound System, HUD, technology packages, etc. I will review my new 2014 550i with M Sport Suspension in comparison to my current 2011 550i with DHP.
Fantastic news and congrats!! Looks like BMW is starting to step up which I think all of us are very happy to see happen.
2014 550i M-Sport | Jet Black | Ivory White Nappa Leather w/ Black Dashboard | Anthracite Wood Trim | 19" 351M Performance Tires | Exec Package | Cold Weather Package | Lighting Package | Side and Top View Cameras | Parking Assistant

Delivered 8/13/13

Pictures:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1002962...7635113807040/
Old 09-11-2013, 07:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: LCI 550i Msport
Something interesting to add into this 704 suspension drama.

Someone in my M5 sway bar thread took pictures of the diameter of his 2013 passive msport suspension stock front sway bar which is supposedly upgraded as part of the 704 parts list and it was 24mm.

Now when I had my LCI up on the lift yesterday I used the same measuring tool and it was showing 24mm for my front sway bar as well. Granted I didn't take the measurement at the same spot he did because you have to remove some under tray panels to gain access but everywhere I could measure the front bar it showed high 23.5mm to 24.6mm in size. So it it possible that with the LCI's all of them already got part 704 front sway bar already? Judging by what my car came with the "base" suspension is already much more sporty than any base suspension that came on any pre lci cars going by the sway bar sizes alone.

My front sway bar

My rear sway bar

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R | M550d 16mm RSB |||More Photos of my car here|||

Last edited by Alan L.; 09-11-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:12 AM

Mein Auto: 11 550i
Great News Part 2 There was a lapse in communications within BMW. My car will be built anew. I am fine with that and happy to have this resolved. Right now I have a 2011 550i so waiting a little longer is not a big deal. I may have it built with black leather in lieu of Mocha.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired
Old 09-11-2013, 08:14 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Great News Part 2 There was a lapse in communications within BMW. My car will be built anew. I am fine with that and happy to have this resolved. Right now I have a 2011 550i so waiting a little longer is not a big deal. I may have it built with black leather in lieu of Mocha.
Calmer heads do prevail. Glad to hear it Paul. Assuming that you got to keep your Euro discount?

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 09-11-2013, 08:17 AM

Mein Auto: 11 550i
yes

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired
Old 09-11-2013, 09:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
Quote:
Go with black. If you like me have a preference for the sporty and relaxing ( little or no reflections day time and reduced in cabin light at night ) ambience of black interior nothing else will feel as good. I tried but am back to black, likely forever.

Last edited by solstice; 09-11-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:02 PM

Mein Auto:
As a natural progression from what Needsdecaf said, in Europe one can opt for the M Sport package purely for cosmetic reasons because they can delete the M Sport suspension and simultaneously not opt for the substitue DHP. So, intriguingly the Europeans are spoilt for choice. Three choices present themselves for the picking: 1) M Sport package including M Sport suspension. 2) M Sport package with DHP substituting for M Sport suspension. 3) M Sport package with neither M Sport suspension nor DHP but suspended by the standard set up.

The USA do not receive quite the same pampering. For 2013 and 2014 MY option 3 is not on the table. Needsdecaf has previously given us the history of M Sport in the F10 and it keeps on changing. Conversely the Europeans have always had the three aforementioned options. To me it seems as though BMW view the USA as a more experimental market in which nascent ideas can be tested.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:20 PM

Mein Auto:
Alan that is intriguing with the sway bars. If the 2014 LCI has identical ones, the part numbers should be the same. Have you checked realoem.com?
Old 09-11-2013, 10:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Go with black. If you like me have a preference for the sporty and relaxing ( little or no reflections day time and reduced in cabin light at night ) ambience of black interior nothing else will feel as good. I tried but am back to black, likely forever.
+1
Coded myself: Turn off power when opening door, ASS off by default, Enable turn signals in HUD, DVD in Motion, Transfer telephone ringtone to car, Enable tire pressure and temperature display in iDrive. Disable iDrive legal disclaimer, Disable Rear/Side camera disclaimers.
20/80 Highway/City
Old 09-12-2013, 01:35 AM

Mein Auto:
ATL550 I've just perused the wonderful pics of your car. The lighting package gives the car a more determined look. It has more presence and I would feel a chill in the spine if I was driving an Audi and saw it in my rearview mirror.

How far is your case with the missing M Sport suspension or are you OK with the standard LCI?
Old 09-12-2013, 01:35 AM

Mein Auto:
Duplicitous!
Old 09-12-2013, 05:31 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve J View Post
As a natural progression from what Needsdecaf said, in Europe one can opt for the M Sport package purely for cosmetic reasons because they can delete the M Sport suspension and simultaneously not opt for the substitue DHP. So, intriguingly the Europeans are spoilt for choice. Three choices present themselves for the picking: 1) M Sport package including M Sport suspension. 2) M Sport package with DHP substituting for M Sport suspension. 3) M Sport package with neither M Sport suspension nor DHP but suspended by the standard set up.

The USA do not receive quite the same pampering. For 2013 and 2014 MY option 3 is not on the table. Needsdecaf has previously given us the history of M Sport in the F10 and it keeps on changing. Conversely the Europeans have always had the three aforementioned options. To me it seems as though BMW view the USA as a more experimental market in which nascent ideas can be tested.
BMW views the American market as buying these cars more cheaply than almost anywhere else. Hence our relative lack of options choices.

Personally, I like it with less choices and cheap. Compare it to, say, a Lexus, and they have far fewer choices. Compared to say a Honda, and there you're only choosing trim and color.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 09-12-2013, 05:44 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Personally, I like it with less choices and cheap.
Personally with BMW, I like it with USA choices and cheap and with German "pick and choose" choices at extra cost but at least available.

If the factory is doing it anyways and it is USA certified then make it available in the USA. I do not see the reason of why an USA customer cannot have a 528i with the M-Sport suspension if it will be paid for.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto:
Technic, even the Europeans don't get M Sport suspension with the humble 528i. I would have thought that any car that can charge from 0-60mph in under 8.0secs is quite fast. However it seems to me that BMW sees the 528i owner as an economical driver concerned about mpg who would not want to risk economy with sporty driving, hence no need for the sport suspension.

The less choice syndrome often causes problems. I would much prefer the M Sport package with chrome door trim rather than Shadowline especially on dark colours. It seems in the 2014 MY there may be hope.

Last edited by Steve J; 09-12-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-Sport
Quote:
I'm glad I got one of the last Nappa black in the F10

It also looks so good with the ambient lighting at night.

2013 535i M-Sport, Jet Black/Black Nappa Leather-Premium-Technology-Driver's Assistance-Luxury Seat-Soft Close Doors-Premium Sound-Sport Auto Transmission-35% Ceramic Tint.

Last edited by jagu; 09-12-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:09 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Technic, even the Europeans don't get M Sport suspension with the humble 528i. I would have thought that any car that can charge from 0-60mph in under 8.0secs is quite fast. However it seems to me that BMW sees the 528i owner as an economical driver concerned about mpg who would not want to risk economy with sporty driving, hence no need for the sport suspension.

The less choice syndrome often causes problems. I would much prefer the M Sport package with chrome door trim rather than Shadowline especially on dark colours. It seems in the 2014 MY there may be hope.
Actually, the Germans can get the M Suspension in the 528i as well as the Sports Automatic -regardless of M Sport Package. In all, Germans can get all the parts of the M-Sport Package in the 528i (including the not-for-USA Sport Seats) except the bumpers.

They can even get the M5 Alcantara headliner in the 528i...
Old 09-12-2013, 04:06 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuySF View Post
I came to a favorable outcome (at least for me) in working directly with BMWNA. The issue is now closed and I will enjoy my new car.
Give us an idea of the outcome. Was it anything to do with extended warranty because from what people have posted BMW refuse to retrofit M Sport suspension on cars that have been already built.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:18 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Actually, the Germans can get the M Suspension in the 528i as well as the Sports Automatic -regardless of M Sport Package. In all, Germans can get all the parts of the M-Sport Package in the 528i (including the not-for-USA Sport Seats) except the bumpers.

They can even get the M5 Alcantara headliner in the 528i...
Technic, if that is the case then even the German's aren't making sense. If you can mix and match to attain M Sport suspension on a non-M Sport package, they may as well stick the M Sport suspension onto the M Sport package for the 528i in the first place. It is ridiculous that mixing and matching does not get you the bumpers and let's face it; those front bumpers house the terrific air intakes that give the M Sport so much presence.

The fact that even the Germans cannot come out and give a straightforward M Sport suspension to the M Sport package for the 528i ab initio shows that the German view is the same as the American ie 528i drivers are stingier with fuel and therefore will not drive the car sportily, so no need for M Sport suspension.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:59 PM

Mein Auto: '13 335i M-Sport 6sp
Quote:
go with black. If you like me have a preference for the sporty and relaxing ( little or no reflections day time and reduced in cabin light at night ) ambience of black interior nothing else will feel as good. I tried but am back to black, likely forever.
+1
Old 09-12-2013, 06:18 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Technic, if that is the case then even the German's aren't making sense. If you can mix and match to attain M Sport suspension on a non-M Sport package, they may as well stick the M Sport suspension onto the M Sport package for the 528i in the first place. It is ridiculous that mixing and matching does not get you the bumpers and let's face it; those front bumpers house the terrific air intakes that give the M Sport so much presence.

The fact that even the Germans cannot come out and give a straightforward M Sport suspension to the M Sport package for the 528i ab initio shows that the German view is the same as the American ie 528i drivers are stingier with fuel and therefore will not drive the car sportily, so no need for M Sport suspension.
BMWNA is the one not allowing the 704 in any 528i, not BMWAG. In Germany, 704 is the default suspension of the M Sport, with a delete option. Then 704 and DDC are optional in all 528i regardless of Lines or no-Lines.

And by the way, I do not like the M Sport bumpers but everything else...
Old 09-13-2013, 05:52 AM

Mein Auto:
Technic you haven't explained your point well. Are you saying that in Germany the M Sport package for the 528i is the same as the 535i....they both come with M Sport suspension by default; or are you saying that in Germany the 528i M Sport package comes with everything the others have except the bumpers or....phew!....are you saying that the individual parts of the M Sport package can be mixed and matched including the M Sport suspension but excluding M Sport bumpers?
Old 09-13-2013, 07:01 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Technic you haven't explained your point well. Are you saying that in Germany the M Sport package for the 528i is the same as the 535i....they both come with M Sport suspension by default; or are you saying that in Germany the 528i M Sport package comes with everything the others have except the bumpers or....phew!....are you saying that the individual parts of the M Sport package can be mixed and matched including the M Sport suspension but excluding M Sport bumpers?
It is easier if you configure it by yourself... www.bmw.de
Old 09-19-2013, 12:53 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Any more updates from CAs with official information or 'festers who have non-704 cars and have complained to BMW?

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 09-19-2013, 01:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i
The official response is you will get a $390 credit. If you are unhappy with this, call BMWNA customer support and continue to complain until they give you what you want (but they wont install the 704 on your car)

Pictures from September 2, 2013 ED
Video from September 2, 2013 ED
Old 10-21-2013, 07:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i
I posted this to facebook Friday "What are you going to do for 535 Msport owners who did not get Msport 704 suspension they expected because they were loyal customers and took early delivery before September when BMW decided to put 704 back in the build? My 535 msport will be worthless compared to the rest coming out after Sep 2013"

I was contacted by email within an hour and received a call that evening from Jodi at BMW customer relations, I didnt hear the call so it went to voicemail. I also called the manager at my dealership Friday evening but he didnt know anything and said he needed to call his contacts on Monday, today.

I am waiting to hear back from Jodi and the manager to see what they plan on doing. I have an almost fully optioned 2014 535 msport with a July build date and not happy with the plain jane suspension.