Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 09-08-2013, 01:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 740i
Quote:
Originally Posted by US&Germany View Post
I'm absolutely sure I don't know what I'm talking about. I did say it was a guess on my part, that CitizenofDreams was invoking some self-deprecating humor and was referring to himself as he himself must be the "redneck mechanic", him apparently being from Orlando Fla.
Let me clarify a few things...

I use the term "redneck" to describe more of a state of mind than a geographical location.

And I'd like to consider my mechanical skills at least one step above "redneck".

Here is an illustration. My way to fix a broken wire...

And the "redneck" way to fix a broken wire:

Old 09-08-2013, 01:11 PM

Mein Auto: 740il
Re: 1998 740i misfires

I think what you are looking for is uneducated? I agree wrong and right. Bad wording none the less.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-09-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by First740il View Post
I think what you are looking for is uneducated? I agree wrong and right. Bad wording none the less.
I can't think of a better word to describe such a mechanic. Uneducated, unskilled, ignorant... that's not quite the same.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:30 PM

Now, back to my poor car.

The new radiator came in today. I installed it, pressure tested the system, found a couple of leaks (loose clamps) and fixed them. Filled the system with coolant, got the air out and checked the circulation. Alles ist gut, my bimmer is self-propelled again!

Next on the list: find the cause of those elusive misfires in cylinders 1 and 6...
Old 09-11-2013, 03:26 PM

Mission status update, for those who still care.

I haven't had time to raise the car and physically look at the flywheel. But I hooked an "oscilloscope" to the crankshaft sensor (well, not a real scope, just a laptop with an audio card):

It looks like a few teeth are noticeably worse than others. Tooth #19 looks really weak; I wouldn't be surprised if it's broken. I don't know whether it's the problem I was looking for, but it's definitely a problem.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:22 PM

Haven't done any mechanical work yet, just analyzed my waveforms and confirmed that cylinder 1 and 6 misfire detection does indeed include the "bad" tooth #19. Those cylinders fire around tooth #9 (at idle):

Old 09-24-2013, 06:27 PM

I'm back...

I'm having a busy month at work, so my bimmer has to wait on the backburner. Meanwhile I am ordering parts, reading the service manual and making notes. Here is my game plan:

- Change the flywheel (found one in good shape for $60 shipped);
- Inspect and possibly change the rear crankshaft seal;
- Change the transmission fluid and filter (since I will have to disconnect the cooler lines and drain it anyway);
- Change the driveshaft center bearing (it's definitely gone bad);
- Change the driveshaft rubber donut, AKA "giubo", AKA "guibo" (don't know if it's bad but it would be stupid not to change it at this point).

I also ordered some hardware that you are supposed to replace if you do it by the book - flywheel bolts, torque converter bolts, transmission cooler O-rings, CV joint gasket etc.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:17 PM

Another mission status update for those who still care...

Found more nasty surprises from the Redneck Mechanic.
- Two bolts on the transmission housing were missing; the rest were loose.
- The shaft where the shifter lever goes had stripped thread.
- One of the torque converter bolts was broken off.
- The rear crankshaft cover was installed with an inch thick layer of RTV and is leaking oil.
- The flywheel teeth were mangled just as I expected:

Here is my forensic reconstruction of the events that caused the demise of the flywheel...

The Redneck Mechanic needed to change the torque converter.

He started with opening a can of Icehouse. Then he looked for a 24mm socket and hasn't found one. So he turned the flywheel with a big screwdriver, just like he used to do on his 1984 Chevy. Bent and gouged sensor teeth? No big deal. Ain't gonna hurt nutting.

Then he tightened the torque converter bolts with an air ratchet. One of the bolts broke. Again, no big deal, it still has three bolts left.

Then he put 10 out of 12 bolts back in the transmission housing. Then he tightened 5 out of 10 bolts and opened another Icehouse. Good job buddy!

Last edited by CitizenOfDreams; 09-29-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:58 PM

Mein Auto: 740il
Re: 1998 740i misfires

I now see you are not to smart for buying this car.....

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by First740il; 09-29-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by First740il View Post
I know think you are not to smart for buying this car.....
If I knew in advance what Redneck Mechanics have done to this car, I would not have bought it.

On the other hand, if I could know things in advance I would just buy a winning lottery ticket and used the money to get a brand new car.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 740I SPORT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
Another mission status update for those who still care...

Found more nasty surprises from the Redneck Mechanic.
- Two bolts on the transmission housing were missing; the rest were loose.
- The shaft where the shifter lever goes had stripped thread.
- One of the torque converter bolts was broken off.
- The rear crankshaft cover was installed with an inch thick layer of RTV and is leaking oil.
- The flywheel teeth were mangled just as I expected:

Here is my forensic reconstruction of the events that caused the demise of the flywheel...

The Redneck Mechanic needed to change the torque converter.

He started with opening a can of Icehouse. Then he looked for a 24mm socket and hasn't found one. So he turned the flywheel with a big screwdriver, just like he used to do on his 1984 Chevy. Bent and gouged sensor teeth? No big deal. Ain't gonna hurt nutting.

Then he tightened the torque converter bolts with an air ratchet. One of the bolts broke. Again, no big deal, it still has three bolts left.

Then he put 10 out of 12 bolts back in the transmission housing. Then he tightened 5 out of 10 bolts and opened another Icehouse. Good job buddy!
Some impressive work you did leading up to the discovery of the redneck`s bad work..
Seems you should of done the work from the begining no? Why trust others when ur smarter than the avg mechanic....Im still a Holiday Inn Mechanic but I pat myself on the back for doing a lot of things to my 7 but using an audio Frq to expose the weak and missing teeth? wow!
2000 740i Sport , Alpina 21`, Alpina Lip, Alpina Deco Stripe kit,Dinan 7,Dinan TB, DINAN CAI, DINAN Exhaust, Dinan Software Stage 5, Dinan manifold, Highline individual interior,Eibach/Bilstein,Zimmerman Timing guides done
Old 09-29-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FABOCH View Post
Some impressive work you did leading up to the discovery of the redneck`s bad work..
Seems you should of done the work from the begining no? Why trust others when ur smarter than the avg mechanic....
Thanks for the kind words!

It was the previous owner who trusted the car to Mr Redneck. Or maybe the previous owner was that Mr Redneck himself. Either way, it happened long before I got the car in my hands.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:58 PM

Here is my car being worked on. The guy in the green shirt is an authentic German mechanic who is helping me (I'm not strong enough to handle the gearbox all by myself). He is the only person I would allow near my car with a wrench (and only under my supervision).

Old 09-29-2013, 05:06 PM

Oh, that reminds me about another redneck surprise I forgot to tell about.

You know how the front and the rear oxygen sensors use the opposite gender connectors so you wouldn't mix them up?

wiring harness ------> >------- front oxygen sensor
wiring harness ------< <------- back oxygen sensor

Well, when I got the car, the sensors were "connected" like this:

wiring harness ------> >------ wiring harness
front oxyygen sensor ------< <------ back oxygen sensor
Old 11-02-2013, 02:31 PM

Sorry for the lack of updates, having some bad personal problems.

Just want to tell you all that the car is running fine now; the new flywheel fixed it.

To the redneck mechanic who broke the original flywheel: may the fleas of a thousand camels infest your toolbox. To everyone else: thank you for your support and drive safe.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:55 AM
Playing Mechanic At Home

Send a message via AIM to ou18 Send a message via Yahoo to ou18
Mein Auto: 1997 740 IL
I have a question for you citizen, when the guy in the green shirt replaced the flywheel. he pulled the tranny off obviously. did you get it out from under the car, or just slide it back to make room to work once uncoupled from from the engine?

Im curious if there is enough space to slide the tranny out from under the car, or at least how high the car had to be in order to do it..

1997 Black 740IL (w\ badass Phone in console)
Old 11-04-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ou18 View Post
I have a question for you citizen, when the guy in the green shirt replaced the flywheel. he pulled the tranny off obviously. did you get it out from under the car, or just slide it back to make room to work once uncoupled from from the engine?

Im curious if there is enough space to slide the tranny out from under the car, or at least how high the car had to be in order to do it..
We supported the transmission with a floor jack and rolled it away from the engine about 1ft. Just enough to get the flywheel and the torque converter out. (The torque converter needed to come out to drill out the broken bolt I mentioned earlier.)

I'm not sure if we had enough room under the car to pull the transmission all the way out. Maybe if you use something smaller than a floor jack you could do it.