Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 05-18-2004, 06:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: S54 Roadster, S54 Coupe
Exclamation Ack...Eisenmann and melting bumper!

Got the Eisenmann Race 4X83 on the car yesterday...looks great installed and sounds great on the S54 even without putting any real miles on it. It was a real pain to get those four 83mm tips to center on the openings enough to meet my anal standards.

One odd thing though was that after I took the car for a spirited test drive, the system moved back toward the rear of the car about 1/4-3/8" as the tips were protruding past the bumper further when a got back. All fasteners were cranked down so it is a is an automotive mystery but I'm not going to complain as it looks good!

Anyway, even with the exhaust centered on the openings, it is deflecting enough that it is starting to melt the bumper cover towards the outer most tip on both sides of the car. Not doing it at all on the inside tips and more so on the drivers side.

I was told not to bother having the bumper trimmed down as it looks best as a tight fit. Anyway, at this point, I would assume that the worst that happens is that I have to trim it to the melted point or just let it melt away the space it needs on its own!

Anyway, anyone with an Eisenmann got any suggestions?

On a side note, the system is not that impressive off the car and the welds are kinda crappy but it looks good from the back and seems to pull a tad harder then the B&B which was a polished work of art by comparison. I will write a mini review on both of these when I get some miles Eisenmann.

Ads by Google
Old 06-01-2004, 03:01 PM
Z colour guru

Mein Auto: M roadster
>the system moved back toward the rear of the car about 1/4-3/8" as the tips
>were protruding past the bumper further when a got back. All fasteners were
>cranked down so it is a is an automotive mystery

It's called heating up (grin).

I used a scalpel to remove the burnt plastic and produce a neat curve.

Tim
Old 06-01-2004, 03:07 PM
Imola Monster

Mein Auto: '06 Imola Red Z4M
Yup - after hearing the tales of melting valance from Tim & Giles - I decided to step down a size

The stock zorsts by my measurements were 67mm - so the 70mm seemed ideal for my needs

Although I wanted the volume, the size didn't worry me so much - as long as they were not smaller than stock

Put over 400 miles on it last weekend - the foul new exhaust smell is now well and truly burnt off - and I scared a few things too - including my Dad in his XKR Convertible

My post in full about them being fitted last week - is here - http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2037

Last edited by DavidM; 06-01-2004 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-01-2004, 03:21 PM

Mein Auto: S54 Roadster, S54 Coupe
I decided that I liked the look of the 4 granade launchers sticking out from under the car. As a solution, I had my bumper trimmed but the exhaust still seems to move around in the opening. I personally think that the two peice design with the clamps is at fault and will have them welded when I have time.

Mine still smell a bit after about 300 miles and are changing their tone a bit.

Anyway, the Eisenmann exhaust is the only way to fly on the S54!
Old 06-02-2004, 08:45 PM
Too much is never enough

Mein Auto: 01 M roadster
You are right, sir! Eisenmanns are the only way to fly.

Yeah, they expand out when they're hot; that's easily fixed with a Dremel and a sanding drum. I agree with you about the 2-piece set-up, but they had to do it that way to insure proper fit for everybody. I tack-welded mine after I had them adjusted, I can grind the welds off if I need to in the future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eisenmann.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	31380  

01 M roadster, F: GC/Koni short coilover struts, Eibach, Wilwood front brakes, GC tubular swaybar. R: TC Kline springs, short Bilsteins, IE sub & swingarm bushings & shock mounts, 3.23 gear, Rogue dual-ear cover, Eisenmann 4x83 pipes. MISC: Sport mode, Rogue pulleys, keyless, RG Motorsport intake, OZ Superleggera 18" 3 piece.
06 Hemi Durango
04 G35 Coupe
05 Scion xB
07 Scion tC
89 Reynard F2000
Old 06-05-2004, 03:57 PM

Mein Auto: ///M Roadster
Eisenmann

Yep, we have the same unit on our 2000 ///M Roadster. Melted the bumper around the edges. We took a wood rasp and trimmed away the melted part, then took it out a bit further to give clearance. The larger openings look fine since they are filled with exhaust tips. The untrained eye would not know the difference. We love the sound of the Eisenmann and the mean look of the 83 mm tips. We agree, the welding sucks but most of it is out of sight anyway.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:52 PM

Mein Auto: 87 325is/99 M3 on its way
I'd consider fabricating an aluminum bracket to replace the rubber unit used to connect the mufflers to the undercarriage. It COULD eliminate some of the sway. Can't do anything about the heat, though.

87 325is Track Project
2004.5 Jetta GLI 1.8T FOR SALE!
Hunting for a healthy E36 M3

My Ex-es:
2000 Cosmos M Coupe
2003 WRX
1998 328i
... and many more!