Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-13-2013, 10:33 PM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L. View Post
The steering wheel is noticeably thinner than the last version. Its still thick but not as thick. The one thing that I do like more about this new wheel is that it has a more simplistic design which allows you to see the paddles behind it and dash cluster much more clearly than before. On the old wheel the paddles were pretty much 90% covered up where as now its being showcased as being part of the steering wheel.

As for the LED headlights I def. can't say they are brighter than my CBI Xenons that i had in my 535. If anything they are about the same or has slightly less light output. Not a huge difference but or maybe the color of the light output is whats tricking my eyes. The color is very unique to LEDs and look nothing like my old setup. I will need to spend more time behind the wheel to really comment about their performance. Either way to me they are a must have on the LCI. They look AMAZING and really makes the front end look so much more aggressive when they are on.

When more 704 cars start to arrive I am going to go test drive one at my dealer just to see how it compares to my ACS'ed/m550d RSB car. As of right now I am extremely happy with the way the car rides and handles. My goal isn't to have the stiffest riding F10 because the roads here are just horrendous but I want something that has both comfort and good handling. Right now my car feels exactly as I would expect it to. Once my m550d 16mm sway bar shows up it should bring it one more notch closer to the sport side.

Alan
Grr, the steering wheel being thinner can be a big issue to me. I have big hands (6'4) and might not be able to get around that. Though I'm sure I could find a new or new-ish pre-LCI M Sport wheel to switch with if it bothered me enough.

What I'm most curious of is how the 704 LCI compares to the 704 pre-LCI. I.e were there any changes to the suspension or truly any "chassis enhancements" as noted by BMW that will make it feel even better. Judging by the pre-LCI base cars VS the LCI base cars, the LCI's drive much better, but I have a feeling the 704 cars might drive identically as BMW will presumedly do little if anything to the suspension in regards to changes.

Either way, congrats and it looks like you've circumvented any "non 704" issues you may have had anyway by attaining a customized ride height and ride. I'm interested to hear how you'll find the LCI 704 cars compared to your final setup.

Last edited by K-A; 09-13-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:03 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Took delivery of my LCI 550i today =) *Mini Review*

Quote:
Lucky you. As much as I love my 550 my heart is with the F80 M (manual please!)

My daughter closed the door on that one when she was born. There isn't a need for two cars in the family just yet so one car needs to act as daddy's toy and family mobile

Alan
Haha, I hear you. The benefits of having a two car family with kids. The F30 chassis is big enough for the family as long as you don't take too many trips.

I am really looking forward to that car, but an LCI 550 would be no poor relation, with likely much bigger discounts! But like you, I am craving something more involving after my first F10.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 09-14-2013, 07:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Grr, the steering wheel being thinner can be a big issue to me. I have big hands (6'4) and might not be able to get around that. Though I'm sure I could find a new or new-ish pre-LCI M Sport wheel to switch with if it bothered me enough.

What I'm most curious of is how the 704 LCI compares to the 704 pre-LCI. I.e were there any changes to the suspension or truly any "chassis enhancements" as noted by BMW that will make it feel even better. Judging by the pre-LCI base cars VS the LCI base cars, the LCI's drive much better, but I have a feeling the 704 cars might drive identically as BMW will presumedly do little if anything to the suspension in regards to changes.

Either way, congrats and it looks like you've circumvented any "non 704" issues you may have had anyway by attaining a customized ride height and ride. I'm interested to hear how you'll find the LCI 704 cars compared to your final setup.
I believe Alan had previously stated that the Pre LCI 704 and have different part numbers for the struts than the new 704 LCI. I haven't read anywhere why this is.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i xDrive M Sport
Thanks for the review!

2014 550i xDrive, M Sport, Carbon Black, Mocha Nappa Leather/Anthracite, DHP, Executive Pkg , CWP, Lighting, Luxury seating, Side and Top View camera, Sunshades (11/2013 build)

--------------------
2012 X5 xDrive50i (wife)
2011 550i xDrive M Sport (retired)
2008 X5 4.8 (retired)
2008 550i M Sport (retired)
2005 545i (retired)
Old 09-14-2013, 05:54 PM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Alan, the black grilles you used, are they the "old" style with the extra slats? If so I wonder if they'll release "Performance" grilles in the newer less-slat style if one wanted it or cared.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:45 PM

Mein Auto: LCI 550i Msport
Yeah mine are the "old" style ones. I have a feeling they won't even come out with the newer style ones since they look so similar.

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R | M550d 16mm RSB |||More Photos of my car here|||
Old 09-15-2013, 03:59 AM

Mein Auto: 5
Quote:
I am glad its not just me that felt this way about the LCI. At first I thought i would be bored getting the LCI since its essentially the same car as my 13 but it actually feels like a completely different car. Much more enjoyable to drive. One thing I've noticed that always bugged me about my 535xi was the steering felt artificially heavy in sport mode and the turning ratio was very slow. I had to move the wheel quite a bit for the car to turn the amount I would expect it to and that made spirited driving less enjoyable for me. Now with the LCI i find the steering very good and on point. Its not as stiff as my old car and the turning ratio is def. quicker. I would make some tight turns expecting to really crank the wheel but surprised that i didn't have to turn it as much to make the same turn! The car just feels sharper all around compared to my old car.

Any chance we will be pulling you back into a BMW in a near future?

Alan
Yes! Turning ratio. That's what's "missing" in my 11. Really kills the sportiness on top of the lack of feedback from the road.

I do hope that they do come up with a software update to improve the turning ratio.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:13 PM

Mein Auto:
What would be interesting would be to compare a LCI 535i xDrive to your old car. The question is whether the steering improvement was made on all trims or just on LCI RWD 550s.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve J View Post
What would be interesting would be to compare a LCI 535i xDrive to your old car. The question is whether the steering improvement was made on all trims or just on LCI RWD 550s.
My understanding is that the steering and suspension updates were done to the entire line. I know for sure my 535i RWD LCI has both.
Coded myself: Turn off power when opening door, ASS off by default, Enable turn signals in HUD, DVD in Motion, Transfer telephone ringtone to car, Enable tire pressure and temperature display in iDrive. Disable iDrive legal disclaimer, Disable Rear/Side camera disclaimers.
20/80 Highway/City
Old 09-15-2013, 07:45 PM
Festaholic

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Sport
Quote:
Yeah mine are the "old" style ones. I have a feeling they won't even come out with the newer style ones since they look so similar.
Wait, so the pre-LCI grilles and the MY14 Grilles are interchangeable? Interesting.

2011 535i Sport (Prem 1, 2)
Old 09-15-2013, 11:50 PM

Mein Auto: I'm still dreaming....
Quote:
First off let me make this clear. This thread is about MY car and MY review of it. Nobody has to agree with my review which is perfectly fine. I am basing my review against my 2013 535xi with Dynamic Damper Control and ACS springs/M5 FSB.

Ok now that I got that out of the way here's my review of my 2014 550i Msport without the 704 suspension It has been a long day of modding since I took delivery this morning and I put about 100 miles on the car so far. Exhaust, front lip, trunk spoiler, rear diffuser, black grills, painted reflectors all done already... ACS springs going in tomorrow...

Here are the major differences between the two cars

535xi vs 550i
300hp vs 445hp
AWD vs RWD
Hydraulic Steering vs Electric Steering
GY All Season Tire RFTs vs Dunlop Summer Tire RFTs

First up....

Handling

So how does the LCI Msport handle without the Msport suspension? Way better than my DDC 535xi stock vs stock. The instant I swapped cars I noticed how the LCI has more road feel than my old car pulling out from the dealership. It feels sportier than my 535xi even in Sport mode but some how it soaks up the bumps better! I don't know how they did it but all i know is that the ride feels sportier but at the same time more comfortable when going over bumps. My 535xi would exhibit much more understeer at the limit while the LCI 550 feels very neutral to me. It has more oversteering tendency than my old car for sure which I like. For those of you who live in NY should be familiar with the Southern State Parkway where the road has lots of long winding curves and it is the perfect road to test out the suspension. I was able to maneuver the 550 into and out of those curves without any issues. Not once did i felt like the car was bouncing around being too soft etc... No question that the new car out handles the old one stock for stock. Much more enjoyable to drive imo.

What I don't like? Wheel gap. In person the gap doesn't look any larger than other Msports i've seen around and on par with my stock 535xi ddc suspension. During high speed bumps I did feel like the suspension could have been a little more firm because I felt it float just a bit when going over consecutive dips/bumps going at a high rate of speed. I am hoping that after I get the ACS springs installed it will improve the handling even further as well as eliminating that horrible wheel gap.

After taking delivery of my car it really makes me wonder if all this fuss about the 704 suspension is even worth all the headache. While it might not be as firm as it could have been but at the same time this car handles quite well and takes bumps like nothing. Like KA's review.....the leader in raving about the 704 suspension even said in his LCI test drive that the difference isn't all that noticeable. Not like some guys here make it sound like the LCI with the base suspension feels like a 1988 caddy riding on air and how it is the worst handling BMW ever created.

Power

One word - Amazing. Even with the JB tune on my 535xi it doesn't even come close to the power the new N63TU motor is putting down. Tons of power anywhere. 7th and 8th gear is actually useful for me now since the car has enough power to accelerate even in those high gears. 445hp is plenty for this car!

Interior

Not a fan of the new steering wheel compared to the old Msport one. Yes it does look sportier but doesn't flow as well as the old wheel design wise. Buttons are harder to reach as well as the horn due to the smaller contact area. Build quality seems about the same as the old one so no complaints there. I'm sure I will get use to the new wheel but initial response was why did they have to mess with an already great steering wheel?

Ivory white interior. My old car had black nappa and now the new car has Ivory white nappa. Huge difference for sure and it took me awhile to get use to it. Its growing on me the more I drive the car. I'm thinking I should have went with Mocha instead but we'll see. Ivory combo gives the interior a different upscale look. Its not as white as i thought it would be. In reality it looks more like Lemon / cream color. The lighter interior color def. makes the cabin feel more open and airy. Wife seems to love it and I'm sure my baby girl would prefer it over the cave like look of the old car.

iDrive knob. That thing is a big boy compared to the old one. Takes some getting use to rotating such a big knob. I tested out the hand writing thing and it seems pretty quick and accurate. Will need to mess around with it more to really judge how the new system is.

Exterior

The biggest change here were my LED headlights. This is a must have IMO. The car looks so much more aggressive with the squared halos and blacked out headlights. The rear lights looks so similar you don't even notice that its different unless you had the two next to each other.

Thats about it for now. I will update this thread once I have a chance to take a few pictures of the car and get the ACS springs installed as well as tint. I am pretty exhausted right now driving around all day plus installing all of my mods in this nasty hot and humid weather.

Alan

Updated with a crappy iphone pic from this morning...

Did you consider/test drive the 650GC? Why did you stay within the 5-series vs the 6-series GC?