Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 08-31-2013, 03:47 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 3 series
'88 535is, DD material?

I found a 1998 535is on CL... Wondering if these cars are daily driver material, or if I'm just wasting my time looking at it. Also any common problems with these cars and what not

Here is the ad description:

hi, I'm selling my 1988 BMW 535iS. it's in fantastic shape inside and out, it's difficult to find these cars at all, let alone in decent shape. it has an inline 6 cylinder engine, 3.5L and a 5 speed manual transmission. it runs perfectly, and shifts smoothly through every gear- no clicks or grinds or whines.
the body is in pretty good shape, with paint fading only on the roof and trunk. some dents and minor rust is present, although it had some rust on the bottom of the doors/rockers that was repaired by me, so most is gone. I recently installed a 15 gallon fuel cell and walbro 255lph high flow fuel pump and it really improved the feel of the acceleration and cruising, but I have the original gas tank and fuel pump if you'd like to return it to stock. everything electronic works perfectly (aside from the fuel gauge unless you'd like to reinstall the old fuel tank), and all dash lights have been replaced with LEDs.
it has new-
fuel filter
fuel cell
fuel lines
fuel pump
oil pump
water pump
plugs wires
oil
thermostat
rear shocks
relatively new tires
battery
several other things I'm sure I'm forgetting.
I also have a folder packed full of receipts from myself and the previous owner. this BMW is extremely uncommon and has been well maintained. it currently sits a bit lower than stock with shorter springs, but still rides nice and smooth.
Ads by Google
Old 09-01-2013, 10:41 AM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltznation View Post
I found a 1998 535is on CL... Wondering if these cars are daily driver material, or if I'm just wasting my time looking at it. Also any common problems with these cars and what not

Here is the ad description:

hi, I'm selling my 1988 BMW 535iS. it's in fantastic shape inside and out, it's difficult to find these cars at all, let alone in decent shape. it has an inline 6 cylinder engine, 3.5L and a 5 speed manual transmission. it runs perfectly, and shifts smoothly through every gear- no clicks or grinds or whines.
the body is in pretty good shape, with paint fading only on the roof and trunk. some dents and minor rust is present, although it had some rust on the bottom of the doors/rockers that was repaired by me, so most is gone. I recently installed a 15 gallon fuel cell and walbro 255lph high flow fuel pump and it really improved the feel of the acceleration and cruising, but I have the original gas tank and fuel pump if you'd like to return it to stock. everything electronic works perfectly (aside from the fuel gauge unless you'd like to reinstall the old fuel tank), and all dash lights have been replaced with LEDs.
it has new-
fuel filter
fuel cell
fuel lines
fuel pump
oil pump
water pump
plugs wires
oil
thermostat
rear shocks
relatively new tires
battery
several other things I'm sure I'm forgetting.
I also have a folder packed full of receipts from myself and the previous owner. this BMW is extremely uncommon and has been well maintained. it currently sits a bit lower than stock with shorter springs, but still rides nice and smooth.
It could be a nice car, but you need to look it over and evaluate its condition. Lots of E28's are still on the road. Any 25 year old car you buy will be needing maintenance and repairs; suspension, electrical, brake, and rubber issues being very common, so don't buy it unless you are prepared to do alot of the work yourself, otherwise it can get very costly. How much was the asking price and how many miles are on the car?
Old 09-01-2013, 11:03 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 3 series
I contacted the seller, and it appears that the car has already been sold
Oh well, on to the next find!
Old 09-01-2013, 11:26 AM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltznation View Post
I contacted the seller, and it appears that the car has already been sold
Oh well, on to the next find!
Keep looking, there's still alot of nice E28's available. You can also check out the www.mye28.com forum.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e39 530i/5, e28 535i
You can absolutely DD an e28. The hard part is finding one without rust. I drive my '88 535i every day, though it was recently imported from Florida so it's in great shape.