Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > F10 M5 (2012 - Current)

F10 M5 (2012 - Current)
The count down is on. The BMW M5 F10 will be released on April 1st, 2011!

Old 08-22-2013, 01:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BART
M5 residual + trend

I've been reading forums and it looks like that the residual for M5 changes quite a bit based on season and model year end. Does anyone know how much it changes and when is the best time to get the highest residual? I'm obviously going for the lease.

Also, on another forum people were saying that for M5, residual increments in 2% i.e. 50% @ 15K miles, 52% @ 12K miles, 54% @ 10K miles. is that true?
Advertisement
Old 08-26-2013, 11:29 AM

Mein Auto: G37XS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorboat411 View Post
I've been reading forums and it looks like that the residual for M5 changes quite a bit based on season and model year end. Does anyone know how much it changes and when is the best time to get the highest residual? I'm obviously going for the lease.

Also, on another forum people were saying that for M5, residual increments in 2% i.e. 50% @ 15K miles, 52% @ 12K miles, 54% @ 10K miles. is that true?
The residuals started this time last year at 48% (****ty, yes I know) and worked there way up from there to 53% I believe. These numbers are for 15,000 miles. 12,000 miles is +2% and 10,000 miles would be +3%. Current 15,000 mile residual is 50% at 15,000 miles, so 52% at 12,000 miles and 53% at 10,000 miles.

The residuals didn't fluctuate per season per say, they worked their way up as the year progressed. At the end of the year, there was a lot of inventory on dealer lots so they probably boosted the residuals a little bit to help clear out inventory for the 2014s. We are starting out with a better residual for the 2014s than the 2013s had, so that's a good thing...
Old 09-18-2013, 09:36 PM

I'm gonna wait till May/June next year and if the 15K residual is around 53%, then I'll go for it. I'll also be eligible for BMWCCA Rebate and Loyalty
Old 09-18-2013, 10:42 PM

Mein Auto: -Jet Black e90 335-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorboat411 View Post
I'm gonna wait till May/June next year and if the 15K residual is around 53%, then I'll go for it. I'll also be eligible for BMWCCA Rebate and Loyalty

When I started paying attention (around March 2013), the peak was around May/June for the MY13 models, given the arrival of the MY14 models. A 3% difference, while not negligible, isn't going to make a huge difference in your monthly payments (at this price point). Unless you absolutely must have that killer deal (by waiting), I'd say that having it now to enjoy is worth the extra cost.

Finally, if you really want to crunch numbers, you'll probably find that you can actually save some money by doing the 10K/year lease (i.e. highest residual %) and doing the early, extra mile purchase (~15cents/mile). This only works because of the higher cost of the M5 (versus, say, a 3 series).

335i Sedan
Jet Black/ Terra Dakota / Burl Walnut Trim
STEPTRONIC, ZPP, ZCW, ZSP, Paddles
Nav, CA, iPod, PDC, Sunshade
Old 09-19-2013, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven11 View Post
When I started paying attention (around March 2013), the peak was around May/June for the MY13 models, given the arrival of the MY14 models. A 3% difference, while not negligible, isn't going to make a huge difference in your monthly payments (at this price point). Unless you absolutely must have that killer deal (by waiting), I'd say that having it now to enjoy is worth the extra cost.

Finally, if you really want to crunch numbers, you'll probably find that you can actually save some money by doing the 10K/year lease (i.e. highest residual %) and doing the early, extra mile purchase (~15cents/mile). This only works because of the higher cost of the M5 (versus, say, a 3 series).
Excellent point....didn't think of it this way. Just did some math, if I use the difference between 50% (15K) vs 53%(10K) residual to buy miles, then I get total 49500 miles - basically 4500 additional miles of fun

As of the payment difference with possible higher residual, the difference will be around $200/month, assuming I get the incentives and residual goes up 3%. You are right, it isn't a LOT, but that is a significant amount of money that can be used towards fuel

One of the biggest reasons that I'm willing to wait for June is because I'll be doing an ED and it's been a dream of mine to drive the car on Alpine passes. With winter approaching and summer tires on M5, most of the passes will be off-limits and on others, I'll have to baby the car (even with rented winter tires).