Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 12-26-2011, 07:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35d
2006 530i - i-drive keeps rebooting

Hi all,
I have a friend who has a 2006 BMW 530i, and her i-drive with NAV just keep rebooting over and over. The car drives fine, but the i-drive keeps rebooting. It shows BMW screen, then comes up, then black, and the cycle starts over again.

I have been a long time member here. People have been a big help to me, and I have helped others as well. I searched a bunch about this issue, and never found an exact match to what is occurring. I found others that had a completely black screen, which some said was the CCC, but none with this issue that I could find. Some also had the CCC replaced, but the issue remained.

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Old 12-26-2011, 11:31 PM
U of Dawgs

Mein Auto: 08 535iA Spt/11 X5 35i
Search for SI B 65 06 09 - it will tell you there is an error on the software and it needs to be reprogrammed. Or you can go to this one... http://www.google.com/url?q=http://w...sq7Qw_UFNbFasA

-----------------------------------
Nube1Kenobi
2011 X5 35i Sport Activity|Plat Gray/Beige/Dk Poplar|Conv Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Tech Pkg|Prem Sound|Comfort Seats|Hitch|
2008 535i Mon Blue/Dakota Blk/Dk Poplar|Sports Pkg|Prem Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Nav|RTTI|PDC|L7|HD|I-Pod/USB|PWR Rr shade|Sports Auto - paddles|Active Stg|Comfort Access|F/D R/seats|Rr DMS Airbags|Adaptive Xenons

Do not argue with an idiot else he lowers you to his level and beat you down with experience..

Last edited by Nube1kenobi; 12-26-2011 at 11:32 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:34 AM

Thanks. So this would apply to an '06 as well, and even if the system is rebooting, not just a blank screen?

The vehicle is out of warranty. Do you think the dealer will proceed with this? I was looking to get a third-party warranty. Do you have any recommendations. My friend is beyond the mileage for a BMW one. She's at around 106,000 and wants to keep the car for a few more years. I know the I6 is a reliable engine, but the electronics worry her, and the trans. maybe worries me a little bit.

Last edited by aiwapro; 12-27-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:28 PM
U of Dawgs

Mein Auto: 08 535iA Spt/11 X5 35i
It would be prudent to check with the dealership before she starts throwing money at it for parts replacement that may not be needed.

One thing I forgot to ask... with the DVD ejected, does the iDrive exhibit the same anomaly?

-----------------------------------
Nube1Kenobi
2011 X5 35i Sport Activity|Plat Gray/Beige/Dk Poplar|Conv Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Tech Pkg|Prem Sound|Comfort Seats|Hitch|
2008 535i Mon Blue/Dakota Blk/Dk Poplar|Sports Pkg|Prem Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Nav|RTTI|PDC|L7|HD|I-Pod/USB|PWR Rr shade|Sports Auto - paddles|Active Stg|Comfort Access|F/D R/seats|Rr DMS Airbags|Adaptive Xenons

Do not argue with an idiot else he lowers you to his level and beat you down with experience..
Old 12-27-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nube1kenobi View Post
It would be prudent to check with the dealership before she starts throwing money at it for parts replacement that may not be needed.

One thing I forgot to ask... with the DVD ejected, does the iDrive exhibit the same anomaly?
I will have her eject the dvd and see what happens.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 E60 530i
You know what this sounds like,

It sounds like the MPM module in your trunk is fried.

I'd check the MPM module, in cars manufactured before 09/2005 it's located under the spare wheel well. After that, I believe it's located in one of the side panels.

The reboots are a common symptom of the MPM module being fried, and I've seen some people have their MPM's completely melt down.

Has it rained recently? Your sunroof drain pipe might be clogged which is flooding the trunk compartment (With water pooling at the spare wheel well and inundating the MPM module).

Check your spare tire wheel well first, and if it's not visually broken, I'd keep searching.

The MPM module is a little white box which has a multi-strand(color) cable running to it.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:16 PM

Thanks, I will check that also. It's an '06, so it could have been manufactured 09/2005 or slightly before.

It's gotta be something strange, because in searching this forum and online in general, I did not find much, and it's usually quite the opposite on the vehicles, in that, if one person had the problem, everyone else did too.

Last edited by aiwapro; 12-27-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 E60 530i
Any luck?

I've also heard that the iDrives fail too, mine hasn't (knock on wood).
Old 09-19-2013, 06:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535 xi
Bumping this thread just to see if there are any additional insights:

Having the same issue. When I start the car, the BMW Logo comes up, no audio, then the car resets itself and everything is fine after like 30 seconds to a minute. This had happened in the past once every 6 months, but now, for the last week, it has been happening every time I start the car off a cold start (cold referring to time, not temperature). Once it reboots, it's fine for the rest of the drive, and if you stop the car and restart within say 30 minutes.

I suppose the only solution is to take it to the dealer for a software reboot and/or CCC replacement?

Thanks.

2008 535xi
Old 10-14-2013, 06:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to bkrable Send a message via Skype™ to bkrable
Mein Auto: 2006 530i
This has happened to my 2006 530i this weekend....however, I got "High Battery Drain" code this morning too(Cold start)? Could this issue be affecting the car to go into "Sleep mode"? However after I drove to work and it went off.

I take my car in to a local BMW mechanic to check it out......I will keep everyone posted.....on the issue and cost.....Wish me luck, I am expecting $2000......
Old 01-05-2014, 12:14 PM

Mein Auto: 530i
Same Problem

This has happened to my 2006 530i too. It has reset on two occasions after a while, but on this occasion is being stubborn.

In essence, it displays the BMW logo and tries to boot, fails and then resets and starts over again and again. It matters not whether DVD is in drive or not. I have also tried to reboot using two eject buttons and on/off (volume) button.

Did anyone find a fix?

Thanks

Gramac
Old 01-05-2014, 01:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to bkrable Send a message via Skype™ to bkrable
Mein Auto: 2006 530i
Same problem

Hey Gramac........

Well, I don't have good news for you......I had to replace my CCC (Radio/DVD).....the part was about $700 and then installation and computer programming was another $300.....However, if it is your CID (the screen) this is a $1700 part....

Let me know if you have any further questions.

BRIAN