Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 09-18-2013, 06:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 530i
2005 530 idrive upgrade

What do I need to do to upgrade my idrive so that I can play music from my android galaxy s4. The least expensive oem options.
Ads by Google
Old 09-18-2013, 07:58 PM
DIY'er

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Install aux port is really the only reasonably easy way

Basically connect 3 wires to the back of the radio that run to a 1/8" jack to plug the phone into.

BMW one is something like $95 I believe? They can be made for about $20 in parts and I can give you the list of parts you would need if you're interested

Dealer would need to make some programming changes to the car so it would know that the input is there. Or you can do that yourself also if you buy a OBD cable to connect your computer to the car
Old 09-19-2013, 05:33 AM

clueless

Rather not have random wires. What are my other options? I read your post on the CIC retrofit but seems really complicated. Will the CIC function properly with my 2005 menu knob? Would the CCC with navigation allow me to play music from my cell? I don't have navigation but want to upgrade to navi with streaming option without losing my house paying for parts, installation, and coding.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:35 AM
DIY'er

I'm not sure what you're looking for. If you want streaming over Bluetooth the only option is CIC + combox
Old 09-19-2013, 06:07 AM

I want navigation and to play music from cellphone. I have a 2005 530 without navigation so what do I need to purchase. I will be paying to have it installed and programmed. Thanks for your help, Lacey
Old 09-19-2013, 11:11 AM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
Paying to have it installed and programmed means you're adding the OEM AUX cable? Its the easiest way, and when installed properly it doesn't leave extra wires, those are hidden behind the dash. You just have a jack where you can plug a cable from your phone's headphone jack into your car's AUX port. How long that cable is is up to you.

[B]2008 550 - Carbon Black/Black - M-sport, Cold Weather, Premium, NAV, Comfort Access, Logic 7 (LOADED, every option except night vision)

Previous 3 cars (the 550 is my 38th car):
2005 530i - Prem, Sport, NAV
2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Old 09-19-2013, 02:57 PM
Propellers Up Front

Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceg2670 View Post
Rather not have random wires. What are my other options? I read your post on the CIC retrofit but seems really complicated. Will the CIC function properly with my 2005 menu knob? Would the CCC with navigation allow me to play music from my cell? I don't have navigation but want to upgrade to navi with streaming option without losing my house paying for parts, installation, and coding.
If you don't do the install yourself on the CIC retrofit it will be expensive...parts+install
Best not to do the job half way. The older knob can work, but not as good as the upgraded controller.
If you just want music streamed from the phone to the speakers, the simplest or cheapest option is an AUX install and a power outlet Bluetooth audio streaming device like the Griffin Bluetrip Audio plugged into the AUX jack you installed.
You won't get Navigation, but music is there wireless (from the phone at least) and navigation prompts from the phone can be streamed also.

The CIC retrofit is worth it though, I'm waiting for my CCC to die, but of course that won't happen...
Old 09-19-2013, 07:07 PM
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceg2670 View Post
CIC isn't as complicated if you buy the kits from one of the companies on here--they're just expensive as heck IMO.

Define "play music from my cell". Anything except CIC+Combox will require you plug the phone into something. If you want to stream music wirelessly, combox+CIC is the only factory option. The other option that is out there that I know of anyways is running an aux port to the center console, then using an aftermarket bluetooth adapter to make it wireless. Not sure how well it works, but others have done it and it worked.. but if you're against an aux port I doubt you'd want to do that

If you don't want "random wires" then I'm not sure how you'd want a full blown retrofit.. which is a ton of random wires, emulator, USB port, etc. CIC will work with your menu knob or any other options. What you have won't do what you want