Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 09-15-2013, 05:43 AM

Mein Auto: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
Pics from today below. I was bored and decided to take a look at the TCU and compare the connections to the combox. My last connector for the tcu/combox retrofit wiring harness will be here on Wednesday--I almost just went forward without it, but then decided to just wait
Which cables are required for the retrofit?
Old 09-15-2013, 08:17 AM
DIY'er

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
I will be posting a complete DIY with pictures and part numbers once I have everything together.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:08 AM
DIY'er

And the magic connectors came in today from Kufatec from the plug and play combox retrofit harness. Will finish the harnesses tonight

Old 09-19-2013, 03:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 650i
wow so much progress while I was gone. I am very impress. @ schpenxel I still have the files on my work station in the garage but honest truth I have been so busy lately. I don't remember the last time I went in there.
I will be taking my car combox apart and takes pictures and video over the weekend possibly tomorrow with the new iPhone 5s because a lot of people are contacting me regarding the combox. stay tune. @dcjwardog I'm happy to hear that you have a working CIC!!!
Old 09-19-2013, 06:39 PM
DIY'er

Harnesses are ready for testing.. I made three. The second one came out best I think--was running out of wire on the last one so had to make it short, lol. Detailed DIY coming in the next few days..

Old 09-19-2013, 06:41 PM
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter650i View Post
wow so much progress while I was gone. I am very impress. @ schpenxel I still have the files on my work station in the garage but honest truth I have been so busy lately. I don't remember the last time I went in there.
I will be taking my car combox apart and takes pictures and video over the weekend possibly tomorrow with the new iPhone 5s because a lot of people are contacting me regarding the combox. stay tune. @dcjwardog I'm happy to hear that you have a working CIC!!!
Thanks! I am going to be trying to pick one of those up tomorrow as well!
Old 09-20-2013, 07:58 AM
DIY'er

Someone PM'd me earlier and pointed out a possible problem.. the combox I bought is listed as

Code:
S609A=No

S639A=Yes

S6VCA=Yes
on realoem--so I am not sure it will work my setup. Still worth a shot though!

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=84&fg=10&hl=1
Old 09-20-2013, 05:54 PM
V-8 Driver

Mein Auto: 2007 650i 6MT
Pin 14?

Here is where I am now:

CIC works with nav and voice grayed out. The numbers do not light up although the CCC had buttton lighting. My car is pre-LCI so I thought my harness would have a lead going to pin 14. It does not now... Of course, I replaced that big square ("quad") socket as mine had a crack on the side preventing my MOST connector from staying snapped in. I had to move all the wires over - middle, after pulling out the blue tab. Maybe I mis-connected? Here is a link to Schpenxel's best photo that shows OEM wires for his pre-LCI (as shown on Page 2 of this thread...)

EDITED TO POST SOLUTION - Seeing that my emulator had every terminal wired in - including pin 14 (wiring was standard car stereo orange - even had "illumination" printed on the side...), I just took one wire out of a different pin location where no OEM wire fed into that harness - and moved it over to pin 14 on my OEM harness. Then I followed the routine to splice into pin 2 wiring on the hazard/door lock switch - lighting now works fine.

Thanks to dbond, my old CCC "high" idrive controller works after I used Winkfp to downgrade ("dumb down"). Today, I tried my next "new" controller, p/n 65829231118. The last seven, 9231118 is all that shows on the label. Using all the software tools, I cannot establish communication from car to it. I checked and rechecked the 4 wires that get moved out of big harness into a 4-wire harness. Nothing, and you guys seem to indicate that the controller should power up, be read, and that ZBE2 (or zbeh60, tried both?) accept a default coding. Using some of my pin collection I made up an adapter harness so now I can just plug and unplug without having to pull wires out of the small sockets. Could I have a controller from the wrong family? Mine shows for E6x and E9x. Schpenxel's (see his photos) comes from a different family than mine. His family shows for E5x and E6x and has a 1116 while mine has a 1118 in it. I get that these may require coding to work, but that can't happen if the car can't even see that a controller is hooked up...

Today I really worked with DIS/GT1 to run the quick test and then do diagnostics. I had no idea about the detail you can extract about each module - and the tests you can run on them..Very neat and I was able to do a CIC reset, hoped that might change things, nope.

Oh, last night, I default coded kombi and that indeed gets rid of extraneous lines for Service info. Now it shows just what it did w CCC.

Finally it looks like I am being refunded by PayPal on my first CIC, saw an email to that effect just tonight, man they take their time leveraging interest with OPM....

djcwardog

2007 650i 0440/LCGE, 6MT, Sport, Nav, HUD, NiVi (w pin swap in CIC), L7, HD Radio (now from CIC), SiriusXM. Coding: lawyer screen (CIC), Halogen DRLs on with high beams (LMA), fan speed LED seen on "auto" (with an LCI-IHKA), turn signals in HUD (CIC), personalized car ID for BT etc... Complete: CIC retrofit>E90.SSD >E90-E60 merged CIC.trc >coded for Combox. To do: ICOM/WinKFP >CIC (63, 62, A0) >v41 >complete 6NR/6NF coding.

Last edited by djcwardog; 09-22-2013 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Solved Illumination Issue
Old 09-20-2013, 07:02 PM

Mein Auto: E60
Unless there is a problem with wiring your controller is dead. You should be able to read AIF (UIF) of any E-series controller. Your's E-series by p/n. The good thing you have your old controller working now, the new one can wait till a good deal comes around

Last edited by dbond; 09-20-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:54 PM
DIY'er

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=723325

Thread on how to make the combox plug and play harness..
Old 09-21-2013, 02:07 PM

Mein Auto: E91 330xd
Question

Wow, I'm glad that I have found that thread, thanks to all contrubutors

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcwardog View Post
I got my small iDrive plugs today and it is indeed the small one we both thought looked closest. Of course, moving pins into the existing plug out of the menu button removes the need for a new plug, but it was just a couple bucks... Some more info from another thread I found, includes a photo: " I saw in a thread somewhere that I need to transfer wires 1,2,4,5 from the 8 pin connector to 1,2,3,4 on the 4 pin connector (see attached pic)." When I do this I will like the extra buttons, however I will miss the feel of the present feedback controller.
I am also in the middle of CCC to CIC upgrade and I'm wondering if you have tried this already? Did it work? Because I have found original post which shows this wiring, but there they talked about using new CIC controller with old CCC unit, so I tought this wiring may be different when using a new CIC controller with existing CCC controller harness and with a new CIC unit ... Thanks for help! _sl_

Last edited by salko; 09-21-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 650i
Quote:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=723325

Thread on how to make the combox plug and play harness..
check your email
Old 09-21-2013, 05:13 PM
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter650i View Post
check your email
Thanks!! I got the CIC one buts didn't see anything in there for combox, can you re-send that one or let me know what the file name was? Also thanks for the .ssd files--will help for sure!
Old 09-22-2013, 07:36 AM
V-8 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbond View Post
Unless there is a problem with wiring your controller is dead. You should be able to read AIF (UIF) of any E-series controller. Your's E-series by p/n. The good thing you have your old controller working now, the new one can wait till a good deal comes around
I went out and checked the four wires that come out of the larger 8-pin socket and plug into the 4 pin socket and into the new controller. I actually got an extra 4 pin socket and made up a jumper wire harness so I can just unplug the old, pull jumper out of the new 4 pin, and those 4 wires plug in to my new controller. Pin 1 is orange kcan, the + lead I think... Pin 2, that wire looks red to me and it's the other kcan lead, minus? When I connect my multimeter red lead to pin 1 and black lead to pin 2, I see +17v on my voltmeter. Pin 3 is ground (black wire) and pin 4 is power (yellow wire). When I connect my multimeter across pins 4 and 3, I see about +5v.

Hard to imagine that I would have 4 wires screwed up, and the car is working fine whenever I go back to the old controller. Basically, the orange-looking kcan wire is at one side, the yellow power wire is at the other...so the black ground and other kcan wire are in play? Help?

Here's a photo of a wiring schematic for the Controller. You can see the wire 1,2,4, and 5 and why those would be used in the newer controller as well. Question to figure is is all of those but the ground actually carry a signal. CAN H and CAN L for example...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	398211  

djcwardog

2007 650i 0440/LCGE, 6MT, Sport, Nav, HUD, NiVi (w pin swap in CIC), L7, HD Radio (now from CIC), SiriusXM. Coding: lawyer screen (CIC), Halogen DRLs on with high beams (LMA), fan speed LED seen on "auto" (with an LCI-IHKA), turn signals in HUD (CIC), personalized car ID for BT etc... Complete: CIC retrofit>E90.SSD >E90-E60 merged CIC.trc >coded for Combox. To do: ICOM/WinKFP >CIC (63, 62, A0) >v41 >complete 6NR/6NF coding.

Last edited by djcwardog; 09-22-2013 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Added Wiring Diagram
Old 09-22-2013, 04:27 PM
DIY'er

have any luck figuring it out today? I seem to have bigger fish to fry at the moment (i.e. head gasket blown, at best) so haven't had a chance to do mine yet
Old 09-22-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
I went out and checked the four wires that come out of the larger 8-pin socket and plug into the 4 pin socket and into the new controller. I actually got an extra 4 pin socket and made up a jumper wire harness so I can just unplug the old, pull jumper out of the new 4 pin, and those 4 wires plug in to my new controller. Pin 1 is orange kcan, the + lead I think... Pin 2, that wire looks red to me and it's the other kcan lead, minus? When I connect my multimeter red lead to pin 1 and black lead to pin 2, I see +17v on my voltmeter. Pin 3 is ground (black wire) and pin 4 is power (yellow wire). When I connect my multimeter across pins 4 and 3, I see about +5v.

Hard to imagine that I would have 4 wires screwed up, and the car is working fine whenever I go back to the old controller. Basically, the orange-looking kcan wire is at one side, the yellow power wire is at the other...so the black ground and other kcan wire are in play? Help?

Here's a photo of a wiring schematic for the Controller. You can see the wire 1,2,4, and 5 and why those would be used in the newer controller as well. Question to figure is is all of those but the ground actually carry a signal. CAN H and CAN L for example...
From your description you got the wire assignments wrong but pinout seems to be OK. Yellow (GElb) is CAN_Low and black (SWartz) is CAN_High. These wires are are K-CAN bus! RT/GE stand for Rot/Gelb - red/yellow. This is your positive. BR is Brown, it's you negative power. Your measurements confirms this assignment. Here is how it supposed to be:

iDrive controller
Old - New - Function
1 ---- 1 ---- 12V (RT/GE)
2 ---- 2 ---- GND (BR)
4 ---- 3 ---- CAN_H (SW)
5 ---- 4 ---- CAN_L (GE)

Last edited by dbond; 09-23-2013 at 08:07 AM. Reason: german translations
Old 09-24-2013, 12:17 PM
V-8 Driver

Updated Situation: Today...

I spent a very interesting hour with Vlad of BimmerRetrofit - swapping IM's on Skype with myiPad (and checking emails on my Blackberry) while he had remote control of my laptop - connected to my car with my USB cable....My nav and voice are running through the CIC. No more grayed out options. While everyone's situation will likely be unique as to what CIC they got and what was in it, here's mine by summary:

I bought an Exchange CIC from an online vender (BMW Dealer) who gave great service.

The p/n ends in 9916 - but that is just a sticker they apply over the original p/n when they do the refurb before sending back to BMW.

I installed the unit and did a quick default code update after changing VO to #0909 and adding $6VA - per these threads.

After sorting out the old CCC controller issue (dbond posting up that I needed to dumb it down from 6963051 using WinKFP...see a few pages back in this thread), I had good function except that Nav and Voice were grayed out - whether or not I used my PnP emulator.

I tried two different iDive controllers, p/n ending in 1118 - neither was recognized by my CIC, so no updating or coding of them was possible. Both returned.

I set up an appointment for remote coding (a week out, just had it this morning).

Here is what Vlad found - no VIN in my HU, but CAS had my VIN. North America Premium Maps, 2011 were on the hard drive. While the certificates were present, no FSC's were there. My CIC's current software was strange (this is the way it came to me, honest!)

Addr 63 ZB_NR ID: 9253421

Addr 62 ZB_NR ID: 9239243

Addr A0 ZB_NR ID: 9239246- three different pieces for which the ISTA levels should be the same. Not so here as these ZB_NR's represent that: addr63 is at ISTA 45, and Addr 62 and A0 are both at ISTA 42. I recognize these module numbers from my "Lesen" efforts in Tool32 and WinKFP, but I have no clue how they correspond to an ISTA level. I assume that the rest of my car is at level 49 with ZB_NR's to correlate...

Now for the really cool part - after he along with many others let me know that importing FSC's was impossible over my USB (slow) connection, he must have tried it to see what effect the differing s/w levels might have...because:

He was able to insert a VIN and FSC's into my CIC and get nav and voice up and running. All with my cable - No ICOM A+B+C or anything. He said my cable somehow allowed him to do this...? Once he imported the VIN and FSC's, I saw my screen reboot and nav stayed white. He said try it and it worked great.

Looking foward, my upgrade path to combox, etc. would require that my software be updated and more coding - Vlad said I would need to ship the CIC to him for that as you need to ensure that you have a reliable 10-15MB bandwidth capability to avoid serious issues in the attempt to update. He went on to explain that although he didn't like the different sofware levels in it, my CIC seemed to be working fine for me as is, until I was ready to go for a combox. [UPDATE] Others have reported success with 9253419 (nearly identical) # for 63 and the same exact #'s for 62 and A0 as I have, so try it out first...

They use a really cool sofware interface with many tabs including eFSC, FSC Codes, Tool32, etc...

I will check my wires once more for the controller, but I think it is wired properly - or my existing one would not work either. I run a 4-pin adapter harness I made to connect the old one. No more pin swapping for me!

djcwardog

Last edited by djcwardog; 10-18-2013 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Update as to CIC software levels
Old 09-24-2013, 07:42 PM

This is indeed an interesting combination of software across CIC modules! Addr62 and A0 are at ISTA V40 and Addr. 63 is at V41. The later is where you want to be for no FSC for BMW Apps. FSCs are between 188 and 512 bytes. Inserting them with a D-CAN cable and the right knowledge is not a problem. Upgrading CIC software for Combox support is. A fiberoptics connection via MOST bus is required.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:22 PM
V-8 Driver

Quote:
have any luck figuring it out today? I seem to have bigger fish to fry at the moment (i.e. head gasket blown, at best) so haven't had a chance to do mine yet
Was it indeed a blown head gasket? What happened - gradual deal or all at once? Pull both heads? There's a place out in LA with an eBay store - selling the motor out of a 750i Alpina for 4 grand. Wonder if those are souped up versions of the 4.8 V-8?

djcwardog

Old 09-25-2013, 04:33 PM
DIY'er

Quote:
Was it indeed a blown head gasket? What happened - gradual deal or all at once? Pull both heads? There's a place out in LA with an eBay store - selling the motor out of a 750i Alpina for 4 grand. Wonder if those are souped up versions of the 4.8 V-8?
Not 100% sure yet, but all signs point to head gasket

Long story, but basically I was trying to clear secondary air ports to get rid of an emissions code and when I started it up after getting done, head gasket was blown.

The best theory I've heard right now is I got carb cleaner in the combustion chamber and it ate into the head gasket. bmwoem1 (BMW master tech) was saying that BMW's head gaskets for this engine have a blue coating on them that all but falls apart when carb cleaner hits it. I was using carb cleaner to clean the ports out and either cylinder 1 or 2 exhaust valves were open when I was doing it, so I think that's what did it. Others have used this successfully (although bmwoem1 mentioned he knows of one other case where they did the same thing I did and had the same results)

Right now looks like only on passenger side bank

So, that should be fun to fix!

if you want to read some more, there's a thread that starts "end user tries aga pipe" or somethign like that that is all about it

Last edited by schpenxel; 09-25-2013 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:54 AM
V-8 Driver

0956 - yes! 0958 (1118), not so much...

From my earlier post:
I tried two different iDive controllers, p/n ending in 1118 - neither was recognized by my CIC, so no updating or coding of them was possible. Both returned.
Ok, so today I received my third "new" controller to try. Its part number is 65829240956 - and it worked the instant I plugged it in. No coding, nothing, just saw the buttons light up and all the extra buttons work, scroll rate is good, all fine!

The lesson for me is that not all E series controllers will work. If you have a CIC, like I do, for which you have no clue regarding from what model of BMW it originated, using those only specified for our model may not work for you... Better to select one from each US family, sort of...

Making this more complicated is that I saw a controller listed for an Fxx car, ran the part # on RealOEM, and it traced back to being a follow on part number to one of our Exx numbers. Would that work in someone's Exx? For me, the current US part number of .....0956 worked fine, and likely an earlier number (now "ENDED") in that family would work for me as well. I do know that neither of the ...1118 (current US part #...0958) controllers worked for me, same wiring, etc...

The photo is to illustrate the joy of extra buttons - and the joy of trying to fit a 2-D object (the 999 cover that everyone uses) into a 3-D hole. You can see the relative widths of my OEM vs. the new. Even worse, the OEM is widest at a different point than the new. For now I cut some edges off of my OEM switch cover and slid them in to fill in the air gaps in my console. Not perfect, but it is secure and works great. I came up with a range of other plastic parts (from a 5er and I think a base from a 3 series - was snapped on my latest controller) thinking that I may be able to shape something that looks tidier. The custom car stereo crowd loves this step of the process and I have done some nice installs myself...

The 6er begs for a top-notch "sano" install and some folks cut more out of their console to allow the entire cover to rest down in the opening with uniform trimming around that. Then they have the console recovered - black leather...

For me, I wanted to try (for this first fitting anyway) to get the switch plate to flush mount. Perhaps if I heated it up, it might bend enough to take up some more contour? Too bad we don't have a choice that provides a wider band around the edges.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	398933  

djcwardog

Last edited by djcwardog; 09-26-2013 at 09:07 AM. Reason: added photos
Old 09-26-2013, 11:37 AM
Loving my car.

Send a message via Skype™ to lib
Mein Auto: 2007 530xi
Awesome thread... I have been keen to do this for a while since I decided against getting a new car any time soon.

Any tips on buying the CIC? Based on features supported, I would prefer the european version.. how does one identify the version or do you have to trust the eBay seller?

Old 09-26-2013, 06:45 PM

Euro version has buttons 1 through 8. US is only 1 through 6 + 2 labeled mode and am/fm. But keep in mind front panel can be swapped between the US and Euro headunits. What makes you prefer Euro CIC for US use?
Old 09-26-2013, 07:32 PM
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by lib View Post
Awesome thread... I have been keen to do this for a while since I decided against getting a new car any time soon.

Any tips on buying the CIC? Based on features supported, I would prefer the european version.. how does one identify the version or do you have to trust the eBay seller?
You do realize the Euro version has LESS features, right? US version has HD radio and Sirius built in (on later units at least)

Euro versions do not

Last edited by schpenxel; 09-27-2013 at 07:16 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:02 AM
Loving my car.

Send a message via Skype™ to lib
Mein Auto: 2007 530xi
Quote:
You do realize the US version has many LESS features, right? US version has HD radio and Sirius built in (on later units at least)

Euro versions do not
Oh? I thought the euro supported more internet related stuff. I have no interest in HD radio or Sirius.

Or can the US version + combox do everything?