Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 08-23-2013, 09:37 AM

Mein Auto: Lexus
Also any tips on where I can look to find incentives and deals? I was told by the salesman they have non at the moment.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 325i manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by JhonnyBgood View Post
Also any tips on where I can look to find incentives and deals? I was told by the salesman they have non at the moment.
That could be the case, might be still too early in the year. I was buying in December 2013, back than all the cash rebates (holiday, loyalty, college, etc.) were clearly shown on the bmw web site and other auto sites.

But you are leasing, right? So you have more variables - residuals, money factor, etc. Can't really be of help with that since I never leased but I'm sure others will chime in.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:46 PM

Ok so it's been 19 days so far and this is the final day of production and it's currently going through a quality check. Next step they say the dealer takes over in delivering.

I asked about the production video and they tell me it's not until a few months after delivery is when they'll email it. Is this true? Kinda defeats the purpose if you ask me, that's something I would want to see right away.

Also when do you guys expect it's arrival time? This weekend?

Last edited by JhonnyBgood; 09-16-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3
Quote:
Ok so it's been 19 days so far and this is the final day of production and it's currently going through a quality check. Next step they say the dealer takes over in delivering.

I asked about the production video and they tell me it's not until a few months after delivery is when they'll email it. Is this true? Kinda defeats the purpose if you ask me, that's something I would want to see right away.

Also when do you guys expect it's arrival time? This weekend?
Production videos don't exist anymore.

My car made it to the dealer within 3 days of completion. Its really the luck of the draw on when a truck fills up with deliveries to your region. If you live in a heavily populated area, you're likely to receive it quicker.
Previous: '02 330i / MT / M-package / Premium -- will miss this near perfect car
Old 09-16-2013, 02:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 X5 M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwoz View Post
Production videos don't exist anymore.

My car made it to the dealer within 3 days of completion. Its really the luck of the draw on when a truck fills up with deliveries to your region. If you live in a heavily populated area, you're likely to receive it quicker.
They stopped those videos back in April 2013 due to supposed lack of demand.

My vehicle completed production last Thursday and arrived at my dealer this AM. Picking her up tomorrow!

Current Ride: 2015 X5 3.5 M Sport
Retired: 2014 X3 3.5 M Sport
Retired: 2011 X5 Sport
Retired: 2008 X5 3.0si
Retired: 2006 330 Xi
Retired: 2003 325 'Vert
Retired: 2000 323 Ci
Old 09-16-2013, 03:47 PM

Ok thanks, I called back and they confirmed it, no production video. Oh well.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 xDrive35i
Sorry, just have to chime in while respecting that everyone has different priorities, price ranges, etc.

The premium package is expensive and, like you, I am not a fan of the moon roof. We almost never use it and it adds weight to a part of the car that doesn't need it. However, I am a really big fan of the keyless entry system. Just put the FOB in your pocket and never have to deal with keys again. We also really enjoy the Sirius radio and my wife, with a bad back, loves the lumbar support, so we ended up with a moon roof. Wish they'd add a delete option on that.

And, I am also a big fan of the 3.0-liter engine. The N55 is arguably one of the best engines BMW offers. It is extremely smooth, very powerful, and very efficient. I just drove a 2014 28 (loaner) and have to say that the bigger engine is transformational, like two separate vehicles. The 2.0-liter engine provides a normal experience with adequate power and reasonable smoothness. No complaints at all, but not exciting. The 3.0-liter engine is exceptional. Power seems effortless and more is nearly always on tap. Astounding torque at low speed, nice muted growl if you put your foot in it, but otherwise very quiet and as smooth as they come. And, our average fuel economy over 30K or so miles is between 24 and 25 mpg (light city and congested local interstate at 6200 ft elevation, and 3 long road trips). we've seen highs between 29 and 31 mpg (all highway at < 70 mph) while the lowest has been something like 22 mpg (winter, local commutes only). Higher speeds and heavier right foot would undoubtedly lower these numbers.

One final suggestion. If you can, do the PCD (Performance Center Delivery). You're not that far away and it's a great experience.

Have a good time with your new car!
Old 09-19-2013, 02:02 PM

Mein Auto: Moto Guzzi
2014 X3 Purchase question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coder View Post
Sorry, just have to chime in while respecting that everyone has different priorities, price ranges, etc.

The premium package is expensive and, like you, I am not a fan of the moon roof. We almost never use it and it adds weight to a part of the car that doesn't need it. However, I am a really big fan of the keyless entry system. Just put the FOB in your pocket and never have to deal with keys again. We also really enjoy the Sirius radio and my wife, with a bad back, loves the lumbar support, so we ended up with a moon roof. Wish they'd add a delete option on that.

And, I am also a big fan of the 3.0-liter engine. The N55 is arguably one of the best engines BMW offers. It is extremely smooth, very powerful, and very efficient. I just drove a 2014 28 (loaner) and have to say that the bigger engine is transformational, like two separate vehicles. The 2.0-liter engine provides a normal experience with adequate power and reasonable smoothness. No complaints at all, but not exciting. The 3.0-liter engine is exceptional. Power seems effortless and more is nearly always on tap. Astounding torque at low speed, nice muted growl if you put your foot in it, but otherwise very quiet and as smooth as they come. And, our average fuel economy over 30K or so miles is between 24 and 25 mpg (light city and congested local interstate at 6200 ft elevation, and 3 long road trips). we've seen highs between 29 and 31 mpg (all highway at < 70 mph) while the lowest has been something like 22 mpg (winter, local commutes only). Higher speeds and heavier right foot would undoubtedly lower these numbers.

One final suggestion. If you can, do the PCD (Performance Center Delivery). You're not that far away and it's a great experience.

I happen to like the roof but really agree with your comments. My biggest surprise is the number of folks that get the 28i but also pay $3K for the M package. I would think most would opt for the engine first and then if they had even more cash would then get the M.

Different likes for everybody for sure.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 09-19-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coder View Post

Yea the 3.0 is a good engine but for me to get it I would have to cough up about another $100 a month on the lease payments. My main reason of getting this vehicle is that we need more space, my son just turned one plus my wife drives a lexus IS and it's just as small as mine and she loves her car so she wasn't willing to give it up and I ain't giving up my GTO that's for sure. lol We're going to strap him up in the X3 instead and take him to daycare and all that stuff it's just far more safer and practical. We had to get the M sport which is like night and day compared to base on looks. But back to the engine choice it just wouldn't be smart for us to get it given our intentions of use. If I ever decide to purchase an SUV after the lease is up it'll be an SRT Jeep that's for sure.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Yea the 3.0 is a good engine but for me to get it I would have to cough up about another $100 a month on the lease payments. My main reason of getting this vehicle is that we need more space, my son just turned one plus my wife drives a lexus IS and it's just as small as mine and she loves her car so she wasn't willing to give it up and I ain't giving up my GTO that's for sure. lol We're going to strap him up in the X3 instead and take him to daycare and all that stuff it's just far more safer and practical. We had to get the M sport which is like night and day compared to base on looks. But back to the engine choice it just wouldn't be smart for us to get it given our intentions of use. If I ever decide to purchase an SUV after the lease is up it'll be an SRT Jeep that's for sure.
I agree with others. getting a strip down X3 28i with M-sport makes no sense to me at all, but different stroke for different folks I guess. The M-sport in white almost look too white, the black molding of the non-Msport gives the car a nice contrast in my opinion. The Msport rims does looks a bit better, but you are missing the signature BMW LED angel eyes which makes the X3 look 10 times better from the front. If space is the main reason you need another car, why not just get a minivan? You keep saying the N55 is not a smart choice but your next car is going to be a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT?

Last edited by The X Men; 09-19-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
I agree with others. getting a strip down X3 28i with M-sport makes no sense to me at all, but different stroke for different folks I guess. The M-sport in white almost look too white, the black molding of the non-Msport gives the car a nice contrast in my opinion. The Msport rims does looks a bit better,
+1. In fact, my wife thought she wanted the M sport until she saw it in person and she really wanted white. She said too white and she also liked the lines better on the non M. Everyone us different. But for resale, I am confident in my 35i decision and not sure the M sport will get you anything

Old 09-19-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
but you are missing the signature BMW LED angel eyes which makes the X3 look 10 times better from the front.
I added the lighting package.

Quote:
You keep saying the N55 is not a smart choice but your next car is going to be a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT?
Because Adding the 3.0 engine puts me over budget. I rather have the M sport look than Base with 3.0.

The new SRT Jeep I like very much and is something I'm pondering about if I get rid of my GTO in the future or when this lease is up. I get 14 mpg in my car and work is less than 8 miles away. Me and wife each drive less than 8500 miles a year.

Again we're just leasing, this is our first BMW and we like the car very much.

We love the all white X3 M Sport, they actually had one at the dealer but it was loaded with Nav, Moonroof and all that jazz, even the other dealers around were all loaded over $49k so that was a no go. We just couldn't stand all that plastic wrapping around the base car so M sport was a must.

Last edited by JhonnyBgood; 09-19-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:09 PM

I forgot to mention the other things we like a lot that the M sport gives you, the sport seats which feel way more supportive than base and is something we're both used to. The M Steering wheel is fantastic the way it feels in your hands. The Wheels are much better looking and I love the the way the rear bumper looks with the darker painted surface, (diffuser look). Also love the front with its aggressive low stance appearance.

Tomorrow is the big day.

Last edited by JhonnyBgood; 09-19-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:03 PM

Yep, everybody has different priorities. We had 40k (plus tax) budget, so 35i would be difficult, except with no options at all. But I would not buy a 40k car without leather or auto-dimming mirrors anyway. And I strongly preferred sports seats (luckily in 2013 there was the so called "sports activity package"). My wife didn't like white with black, but liked a lot silver with black. In the end of the day we paid slightly more for our 28i but got everything we wanted (and more, I could not care less about the sunroof, but it came with the premium package).

As far as resale, I don't worry, we keep our cars long time.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:06 AM

Please know, I am not judging anyone and everyones likes and needs are different. I am just simply surprised by the number of folks choosing looks over performance in what "was" traditionally a performance brand. I think that shows that BMW has succeeded in attracting buyers away from the US/Jap market who may place a higher emphasis on appearance. This strategy will possibly keep BMW a viable company longer than if they stood firm on performance.

This is my first BMW like many here. I said okay to my wife due to the fact of the 4 year maintenance free program. She liked the way it drove and handled and why she wanted a BMW. I have read 100's of posts prior to purchasing. I see where long term owners state that BMW's performance/handling has been diminished over the years, yet to me it is light years away from Acura/Honda/Toyota/Lexus (where I came from). Still, I have read literally dozens of posts where 28i owners wished/regrets not opting for the bigger engine and although there may be some, I have not read a post stating the opposite.

As one can see from my signature, I am more of a purest and appreciate a brand's heritage. I do not ride a Harley as they have become more about the merchandizing than the bike, yet I understand that and may be exactly what has kept them in business over the past 30 years. Most folks have never heard of brand bike I ride yet it has been in continuous production since 1921. You'd be hard pressed to find a t-shirt their name on it too. :>

Last edited by ponti33609; 09-20-2013 at 07:33 AM.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:54 AM

Well, I don't think the performance has decreased, you do get more power nowadays on the corresponding models, but the handling is a mixed bag. I just don't like much the new softer, lighter, detached feeling. I also don't like taking away manual transmission on more and more models. However, as I said before, I find the handling fine for an SUV. But I did drive the F30 sedan and was disappointed. Even though it obviously has quite more power than my 12 year old 325i.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
I added the lighting package.
Because Adding the 3.0 engine puts me over budget. I rather have the M sport look than Base with 3.0.
The new SRT Jeep I like very much and is something I'm pondering about if I get rid of my GTO in the future or when this lease is up. I get 14 mpg in my car and work is less than 8 miles away. Me and wife each drive less than 8500 miles a year.
Again we're just leasing, this is our first BMW and we like the car very much.
We love the all white X3 M Sport, they actually had one at the dealer but it was loaded with Nav, Moonroof and all that jazz, even the other dealers around were all loaded over $49k so that was a no go. We just couldn't stand all that plastic wrapping around the base car so M sport was a must.
Smart move on the lighting package, its a must in my opinion. Just wondering, do you test drive the 35i at all?
Old 09-20-2013, 10:15 AM

Mein Auto: 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_again View Post
...... I also don't like taking away manual transmission on more and more models.......
I miss manual transmissions too. Everything is getting automated around us, point-and-shot cameras, auto-focus lenses, smartphones, and now the upcoming driverless cars. Hope BMW is not going to work on this idea - The reason I buy BMW is because it's fun to drive.
'96 318 Ti - Sold @ 157,000 miles
'95 318 Ti - Retired @ 265,000 miles
'84 633 CSi - Sold @ 250,000 kilometers
'74 3.0 CSL - Sold @ 225,000 kilometers
'70 2002 Tii - Sold @ 175,000 kilometers
Old 09-20-2013, 11:59 AM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponti33609 View Post
Please know, I am not judging anyone and everyones likes and needs are different. I am just simply surprised by the number of folks choosing looks over performance in what "was" traditionally a performance brand. I think that shows that BMW has succeeded in attracting buyers away from the US/Jap market who may place a higher emphasis on appearance. This strategy will possibly keep BMW a viable company longer than if they stood firm on performance.
Yep - it's a brave new world. Within BMW's Big Tent there is something for almost everyone. Yes I suspect this "dilution" is the price of independence. If you want a sporty ride you cannot assume because a particular car is a BMW that the "ultimate Driving Machine" comes as standard equipment. All is not lost - enthusiasts occupy a smaller portion of the tent but BMW still recognizes our existence - if for no other reason than marketing. If you check the right boxes - and pay the related fare - a BMW can still be very sporty. I truly marvel at my X3 3.5 M Sport DHP - it is a fast fun ride - just the perfect combination of utility, comfort and bad-ass nastiness.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
Yep - it's a brave new world. Within BMW's Big Tent there is something for almost everyone. Yes I suspect this "dilution" is the price of independence. If you want a sporty ride you cannot assume because a particular car is a BMW that the "ultimate Driving Machine" comes as standard equipment. All is not lost - enthusiasts occupy a smaller portion of the tent but BMW still recognizes our existence - if for no other reason than marketing. If you check the right boxes - and pay the related fare - a BMW can still be very sporty. I truly marvel at my X3 3.5 M Sport DHP - it is a fast fun ride - just the perfect combination of utility, comfort and bad-ass nastiness.
Very well stated.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
Y If you want a sporty ride you cannot assume because a particular car is a BMW that the "ultimate Driving Machine" comes as standard equipment. .
It used to be, that's all I'm saying. And that was a good justification for the high base price compared to many of the competitors. Now you need to add bunch of options (that usually don't exist on dealer's lot, so you don't know what exactly you would get) and still you can do only so much. The transmission or steering example comes back to mind.

Now, to be fair my old car does have the 'sports" package but the ride without it was not that much different.

Another example - X1 had in my mind the perfect steering almost made me forget the lack of manual transmission. However suddenly (if my info is correct) the "servotronic" option becomes part of the base.

Sorry to vent.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:01 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_again View Post
It used to be, that's all I'm saying. And that was a good justification for the high base price compared to many of the competitors. Now you need to add bunch of options (that usually don't exist on dealer's lot, so you don't know what exactly you would get) and still you can do only so much. The transmission or steering example comes back to mind.

Now, to be fair my old car does have the 'sports" package but the ride without it was not that much different.

Another example - X1 had in my mind the perfect steering almost made me forget the lack of manual transmission. However suddenly (if my info is correct) the "servotronic" option becomes part of the base.

Sorry to vent.
Yep - I can relate - try to find a DHP equipped X3 on a dealer's lot - doesn't exist. I added DHP after I placed my order after reading the many recommendations here on Bimmerfest - and yes it was a $1000 well spent!. No DHP on any dealer cars - why - well dealers are reflecting their customer base - this reinforces the notion that the customer for BMW has changed. Like I said it's a brave new world - new electric BMWs???? - On one hand I shake my head in disbelief, but on the other, I understand BMW's need to redefine itself as the high tech - uber efficient Ultimate Driving Machine as opposed to more traditional performance definition. The world is changing - M cars do not have the same appeal to 18 year olds as a generation ago. I guess, more or less that I am happy as long as BMW continues to provide the performance boxes to check.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 35i
Dealer orders are priority 2. AFAIK BMW does not permit DHP on Priority 2 orders.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:10 AM

Mein Auto: Volvo XC90 & BMW R1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponti33609 View Post
As one can see from my signature, I am more of a purest and appreciate a brand's heritage. I do not ride a Harley as they have become more about the merchandizing than the bike, yet I understand that and may be exactly what has kept them in business over the past 30 years. Most folks have never heard of brand bike I ride yet it has been in continuous production since 1921. You'd be hard pressed to find a t-shirt their name on it too. :>
Your bike looks like a Moto Guzzi? Anyone who is into bikes knows the brand I myself am on my third BMW bike, I currently have a 2012 R1200R naked bike. I love the boxer engine heritage and this latest iteration with twin spark and overhead cams is smooth and torque.

I'm considering the X3 3.5i myself. I have two Greyhounds and need the space. I'm looking at:

X3 3.5i
White with Chestnut Brown leather
Prem Pkg
Driver Assitance Pkg
Style 309 (19") Wheels
Nav

Anything else that is a must have? I'd like the M Pkg but at $3K its a little pricy.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleuger99 View Post
Your bike looks like a Moto Guzzi? Anyone who is into bikes knows the brand I myself am on my third BMW bike, I currently have a 2012 R1200R naked bike. I love the boxer engine heritage and this latest iteration with twin spark and overhead cams is smooth and torque.

I'm considering the X3 3.5i myself. I have two Greyhounds and need the space. I'm looking at:

X3 3.5i
White with Chestnut Brown leather
Prem Pkg
Driver Assitance Pkg
Style 309 (19") Wheels
Nav

Anything else that is a must have? I'd like the M Pkg but at $3K its a little pricy.
Roof rails are just a few hundred bucks and might be worth it for resale alone if you don't ever use yourself.

If you are a radio guy, the stock radio isn't great. We aren't so saved a grand there.

If you plan on keeping your vehicle I got a extended warranty (Fidelity 7/70) which covers seals and gaskets (BMW's plan doesn't) for less than $1,300 bucks. A few grand under what my dealer wanted to sell me. First BMW so worth the peace if mind although I do not usually keep cars that long.

I think you will be very happy with your engine choice. This is my wife's car and we only have one currently. This has been by far the most fun I have ever had with a car despite it being an SUV.

Yes. My bike is a 2000 Guzzi V11 Sport. Your R1200R is a great bike.

Best of luck!