Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > F10 M5 (2012 - Current)

F10 M5 (2012 - Current)
The count down is on. The BMW M5 F10 will be released on April 1st, 2011!

Old 09-15-2013, 08:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BART
Anyone driven a M5 with Competition Package?

I just test drove an M5 and just before I was getting in I noticed that it had Competition Package - which is not something I'm interested in because of the added cost. From the moment sales guy started the car, I noticed the exhaust was notably loud - too much rumbling sound for my taste. Sounded like the typical aftermarket mods people do to their civics. Even after the engine was warmed up, the rumbling sound didn't go away. The reason I was surprised by this was because I didn't notice this kind of sound in any of the M5 videos I've seen on youtube.

Can anyone confirm if this is specific to Competition package or is regular M5 this loud on idle as well?
Ads by Google
Old 09-15-2013, 08:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i Blk/Blk MSport
Anyone driven a M5 with Competition Package?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorboat411 View Post
I just test drove an M5 and just before I was getting in I noticed that it had Competition Package - which is not something I'm interested in because of the added cost. From the moment sales guy started the car, I noticed the exhaust was notably loud - too much rumbling sound for my taste. Sounded like the typical aftermarket mods people do to their civics. Even after the engine was warmed up, the rumbling sound didn't go away. The reason I was surprised by this was because I didn't notice this kind of sound in any of the M5 videos I've seen on youtube.

Can anyone confirm if this is specific to Competition package or is regular M5 this loud on idle as well?
By design - the Comp package is louder than the M5 w/out the Comp package. The Comp package is exhuast/wheels/brakes/bump in HP.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-16-2013, 05:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 M6 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFTW8SNOW View Post
The Comp package is exhuast/wheels/brakes/bump in HP.
and stiffer springs, new programs on suspension, new steering programs.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:30 PM

Mein Auto: -Jet Black e90 335-
I have an M5 with the Competition Package in production, but haven't heard one in person yet. Aside from the change in exhaust tips to black, the ONLY change in the actual exhaust (that I'm aware of) is removal of the baffle. Most (not all) M5 owners have been a little underwhelmed with the stock exhaust note (especially with the artificial speaker note piped in). The ZCP option is there to give it a throatier, more aggressive sound. Again, I haven't heard one in person, but that louder cold-engine start sound should still subside/lessen after a short-while (when the exhaust valves close). Even still, some enthusiasts (many who are basing this on video alone) don't feel the ZCP exhaust note goes far enough (they seek the stock AMG C63 type sound). Personally, I want my M5 to have a fairly aggressive sound. The M5 is a special beast, though, as it walks a fine line between comfortable luxury and intense power. Therefore, it's hard to please all buyers, but I think BMW does a rather good job.

335i Sedan
Jet Black/ Terra Dakota / Burl Walnut Trim
STEPTRONIC, ZPP, ZCW, ZSP, Paddles
Nav, CA, iPod, PDC, Sunshade
Old 09-18-2013, 08:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10
For the M5 without the comp package, the rumbling quietens down after one has put miles on it. Also, the rumbling is significantly louder in a (partially) closed environment.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:33 PM

Mein Auto: BART
I think it was down to cold start and competition pkg exhaust tips....the car was in an open space though.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 M6 GC CP
It sounds just like my LCI, I have wired open the exhaust valves, and that does the same job.
Sounds very loud on start up cold but OK for the rest of the time.
I have the CYBA tips also, so just looks and sounds the same.
Driven the Comp Pack car and frankly NO real everyday difference at all, the steering has been enhanced on the None Comp pack LCI's as well so my steering is great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_side_veiw_cyba.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	397837  
Old 09-20-2013, 12:00 PM

Mein Auto: MB
Do you have the video sound clip I can hear while the valve is opened? Did you mean the flap from inside of the exhaust? If you leave the valvue open all the time.... does it generate any warning on the computer or else?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
It sounds just like my LCI, I have wired open the exhaust valves, and that does the same job.
Sounds very loud on start up cold but OK for the rest of the time.
I have the CYBA tips also, so just looks and sounds the same.
Driven the Comp Pack car and frankly NO real everyday difference at all, the steering has been enhanced on the None Comp pack LCI's as well so my steering is great.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by us_matrix View Post
Do you have the video sound clip I can hear while the valve is opened? Did you mean the flap from inside of the exhaust? If you leave the valvue open all the time.... does it generate any warning on the computer or else?

Thanks.
No warnings just good sound, no videos sorry, it does sound good though.
Easy to do too.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:40 PM

Mein Auto: MB
Is there any instruction I can find to wire open the exhaust valve? Did you need to jack the car up to do it?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
No warnings just good sound, no videos sorry, it does sound good though.
Easy to do too.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by us_matrix View Post
Is there any instruction I can find to wire open the exhaust valve? Did you need to jack the car up to do it?

Thanks.
Look Here:
http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthr...Exhaust+valves