Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 06-15-2013, 11:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X5
IPOD/IPhone 4s Question

Hi, I recently bought a 2006 BMW X5 with navigation and DSP. I am looking for a way to be able to play music from my iPod touch and IPhone 4S (64gb) as well as the Iheartradio app off of my iPhone 4S. I am familiar with the Belkin CarAudio Connect FM as I have used this type of connector in previous cars in years passed. Before I purchase this belkin adapter, I wanted to see if it would be compatible with my car and if not, if there is another product anyone recommends.

Thank you in advance
Ads by Google
Old 06-15-2013, 04:49 PM
Prometheus

Mein Auto: X5 e53 3.0i 2006
IPOD/IPhone 4s Question

BMW makes an iPod interface kit for the e53 car radio equipment. The sound is wonderful. I have one, which also charges the phone. but it costs $1100 to instal, so it is an expensive integrated option. However, my current problem is that I have an iPhone 5 which comes with a new 8 pin connection, and most of the conversion adapters you can buy will charge the phone but will not connect to the interface kit! So I might have to stick with playing music through my old phone. So this is my story.

Don't know much about the Belkin solutions, but they make good coupling connectors, so worth pursuing. Good luck!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-16-2013, 10:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X5
Thank you so much for the info!
Old 06-16-2013, 12:51 PM
Besessen Deutsch Autos

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 3.0
IPOD/IPhone 4s Question

i installed factory aux. i had factory ipod on my 7 and it was a lot more involved to do the retrofit. either option is relatively easy and cheap to install in comparison.
if it is the same as my 745, it takes the spot of, or is installed in the place where; the cd changer would be.. (us driver side in the back behind the little compartment for the x5)hardest part is to run the wires. other than that its pretty easy. 745 needed A lot more involvement and coding than that.

factory aux i got from bavauto and literally installed it in my ashtray (i dont smoke) in about 15 minutes. i don't know if its as easy for you with dsp and nav though.. i chose that because i also have an iphone 5 and the stock plug is for the regular apple iphone/pad/pod. my apple lightning adapter works and worked with my 7 also. but it has to be the real apple one i don't know any aftermarkets that will work with bmws ipod integration.. either way i decided i would rather just use the aux it sounds great and i didnt really have to do much to avoid using cds.

06 X5 3.0 Toledo Blue Metallic/Light Beige 2:
Adaptive Xenon Headlamps, Panoramic Sunroof, Rear Sunshades,
+Factory Aux Input in Ashtray, Bluetooth, Rear PDC Sensors, Rear Electronic Adjustable Seat Backs,
+White Angel Eye LEDs, +5000k LED H11 Foglights, +Blacked Out Chrome Grill Surround, +Puddle Light Logo Projector
.. more updates to come

PREVIOUS 2002 745i
Old 08-30-2013, 02:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X5 4.4 Sport
745iguy , did you buy the ipod connector or the $38 aux input for your car ? Im considering getting the aux input ( 3.5mm input ) for my X5 but I was wondering if this is compatible with the DSP . Mine has no NAV but only DSP . I cant remember where but someone was talking about these not working with the DSP because of the input being analog and DSP will only recognize digital etc.
I dont think thats very accurate but i just wanted to ask.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2001E-53
Ipodcarprosdotcom everything you can imagine they have for your i-phone....

Last edited by RSimms; 09-18-2013 at 10:14 AM. Reason: bad link
Old 09-18-2013, 10:21 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
IPOD/IPhone 4s Question

I have a simple auxiliary input jack in my 2008 335 armrest. I got a $9 cord that looks like a headphone input jack on both ends. One end goes in my iPhone and iPods, the other in the auxiliary jack. Allows me to stream my music, itunes, Pandora, whatever, through my stereo. Have to control the music from the device, but for $9 I'll live with it.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:57 AM
Besessen Deutsch Autos

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 3.0
IPOD/IPhone 4s Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolgatt View Post
745iguy , did you buy the ipod connector or the $38 aux input for your car ? Im considering getting the aux input ( 3.5mm input ) for my X5 but I was wondering if this is compatible with the DSP . Mine has no NAV but only DSP . I cant remember where but someone was talking about these not working with the DSP because of the input being analog and DSP will only recognize digital etc.
I dont think thats very accurate but i just wanted to ask.
Stock Aux from bavauto, appears to only say with or without nav it does not state compatibility with dsp. I have read on xoutpost that somebody installed with no nav and dsp. You may be able to ask a dealer or somebody else may confirm first to be sure. But im pretty the wires and plugs i got from bavauto came with instructions, so you could confirm with who ever you purchase it from also.

06 X5 3.0 Toledo Blue Metallic/Light Beige 2:
Adaptive Xenon Headlamps, Panoramic Sunroof, Rear Sunshades,
+Factory Aux Input in Ashtray, Bluetooth, Rear PDC Sensors, Rear Electronic Adjustable Seat Backs,
+White Angel Eye LEDs, +5000k LED H11 Foglights, +Blacked Out Chrome Grill Surround, +Puddle Light Logo Projector
.. more updates to come

PREVIOUS 2002 745i
Old 09-18-2013, 12:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2001E-53
ADUO-100-BMW + DSP Kit
This kit is diy and you can still use your steering wheel controls to move through tracks, playlist and adjust volume. Song title and artist will scroll accross head unit up to 18 charactors All with charging for i-phone/pod3 and up. A bit over 100.00 well worth it!
Old 09-21-2013, 12:14 AM
Prometheus

Mein Auto: X5 e53 3.0i 2006
IPOD/IPhone 4s Question

The advantage however, of owning the interface kit is that you get much more dynamic and detailed sound nuances because it accepts only the digital music source from the phone then performs its digital to analogue conversion with its dedicated DAC (digital to analogue converter), which is much more superior than the iPhone DAC for playing music through earphone jack connections, but the kit costs $1100AU, but it beats hauling a dozen or more CDs with you to get the same sound!