Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:41 AM

Mein Auto: 550ix gt
Question winter tire set ???

Help!
I have a 2010 550i GT xdrive with sports package. The summer wheels in front are 245/40 20 and the back are 275/35 20. The dealer offered me 245/50 18 for all four wheels with model 238 mags. I'm not going to buy these from the dealer as the cost is much too expensive.
My tire shop suggested I put the same size tires with mags that have an offset of 20.
I'm worried once these are installed it may touch something/somewhere when I hit a bump. Does anyone have this type of size and offset on all four with the sports package without any problems? is it safe?
Thanks

Domenic
Ads by Google
Old 09-22-2013, 03:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
A taller/narrower tire is MUCH better to slice through snow, and because the snow and slush can hide potholes and bumps, to me, anyways, it's very foolish to opt for bigger tires and wheels for winter driving, unless you don't really expect any snow and are only looking for better traction verses summer tires in the colder weather. In fact, if you're looking at being more unstoppable, you down-size as much as possible to get a higher profile.

I have just the stock 18" wheels on mine, and opted for a full set of wheels/sensors/winter tires in the same size. I got them from TireRack ready to bolt on...don't actually remember what I paid for them. I chose Michelin PA2's, which was the only runflat that would fit from them at the time. PA3 and PA4 versions are out now, but I'm not sure about if they have them in RFT versions. I'd had PA2's on my last car, and found them to be reliable, quiet, and handle decently. The fuel mileage did drop off slightly, partly because of the tire squirm (can't really feel it, but I'm sure it's there with the softer compound) and the fact they aren't low rolling resistance. One you might look into is the Nokian brand. BMW tends to spec the Dunlops, but I think there may be a Pirelli on the OEM winter tire list as well. If you want road hazard insurance on them, shop carefully, some include it, on some, it's optional, so make sure to compare prices.