Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 328i SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf328i View Post
Show me where you read/saw that. All I have seen has said the ATS is "almost" as good as the 3, never a mention of more fun to drive. In fact, most have said that the power delivery was unrefined and did not make a good sound. As for ride, most stated it was close, but the 3 still proved to be better in execution.

Don't get me wrong, the ATS is a serious contender for the class, but no one in the automotive press has put it over the 3.
Dynamically it is better.

"This chassis... Unbelievable. I'm just blown away by how well this car drives. Those two are luxury sport sedans. This is a luxury sports car." Indeed. When I was pushing the Caddy hard up in the mountains above Malibu, I was also overcome by the sensation that I was driving a sports car. Something very similar to a Nissan 370Z, in fact."

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz2fO5xQ7lT

"Our grave concern here is that, with each new car it introduces, BMW seems to wrap more padding around the sensations and feel that make them great-while its competitors only zero in more tightly on those same attributes. (We're convinced that the E90 would handily win a comparison test against the F30.) The ATS is unquestionably the more satisfying sports sedan of these two."

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...mw-328i-page-3
Old 09-19-2013, 07:08 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendsNeverDie View Post
Dynamically it is better.
Have you actually driven an ATS yet? I looked through your posts just now and I couldn't find one where you give a firsthand report. I didn't read every one, so I may have missed it.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 09-20-2013, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Have you actually driven an ATS yet? I looked through your posts just now and I couldn't find one where you give a firsthand report. I didn't read every one, so I may have missed it.
Nope. No 6 speed manuals in stock near me, but what does that have to do with my post? I will post a review as soon as I get some significant time behind the wheel of one and I don't mean a 15 minute test drive.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:32 AM
Novice driver

Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Have you actually driven an ATS yet?
Yes! Prior to ordering my F30 320i, I test drove an ATS 2.0T 6MT Performance Collection extensively. The ATS 2.0T Standard model is also available with a 6MT at a significantly lower price. The latter is my preferred configuration, but no such cars were available at Washington, D.C. and Baltimore area dealerships back then.

As LegendsNeverDie stated, ATS easily exceeds F30 from a driving dynamics perspective; the 2.0T, 6MT Cadillac exemplifies the sport component of "sport sedan" in high fidelity - more so than any comparable, unmodified F30 extant.

There were three factors that prompted me to choose the F30, despite the ATS' superiority in fun-to-drive characteristics:

1.) The Bimmerfest and BMW CCA communities, including driver training clinics and autocross events hosted by most CCA chapters.
2.) European Delivery.
3.) Lower purchase price due to ED discount and fewer unnecessary frills such as full power seat adjustments and satellite radio.

Here's the ATS I drove:

Last edited by gkr778; 09-20-2013 at 08:34 AM.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:46 AM
328i xDrive Commuter

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
WOW, a $1,200 credit for the manual and only $795 for Navigation?!?

2013 328i xDrive / 8-Speed / Imperial Blue / Everest Grey / Sport Package / Premium Package / Tech Package / Heated Seats
Old 09-20-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgray View Post
WOW, a $1,200 credit for the manual and only $795 for Navigation?!?
They are a really good deal. Right now you can get $3,000 cash back and $1,200 credit if you go for the manual. In my area, you can get a very well equipped Performance pack ATS for well under $40K. It does not include the MRC but includes such goodies as the Brembo brakes, mechanical LSD, leather, HID lights and BOSE stereo system with CUE.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:49 AM

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'06 Saab 9-5
Quote:
They are a really good deal. Right now you can get $3,000 cash back and $1,200 credit if you go for the manual. In my area, you can get a very well equipped Performance pack ATS for well under $40K. It does not include the MRC but includes such goodies as the Brembo brakes, mechanical LSD, leather, HID lights and BOSE stereo system with CUE.
Had I not gotten my MSport for the price I did, I would have walked to Caddy and taken a similar car to what you describe.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@11-16lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: 6mt, SOLD

'06 Saab 9-5 wagon 5mt AERO+ TUNED
Old 09-20-2013, 10:59 AM
xDriver

Mein Auto: 2013 328xi Sport Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post
Had I not gotten my MSport for the price I did, I would have walked to Caddy and taken a similar car to what you describe.
I wish I could be this open minded about Cadillac.

It's not a prestige issue, as other than the 328 and the A4/allroad, I VERY seriously considered a Ford Fusion Titanium (actually had started some paperwork on a special order with Ford before choosing the F30) when I was car shopping this spring, and no one is getting into the blue oval to impress anyone (outside of the truck world anyway).

However, I just can't get past the image of Cadillac being a retirement car. I get that the CTS-V is a performance monster, and they're trying really hard to change their image and attract younger buyers...but...I just...can't.

| 2013 BMW xDrive | Sport Line | Sapphire Black | Dakota Black/Red Leather |
Old 09-20-2013, 11:12 AM
BMW New Guy

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
Re: 328i, the every day normal car

The economy of the ats is what talked me out of it. I checked several forums and fuelly for averages. Most people were lucky to get 24 with highway driving. That an the AT did not have the same glowing reviews as the 8AT in the 3. Both were deal breakers for me. My car is a daily commuter, not a weekend cruiser.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 09-20-2013, 12:27 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. 328xi View Post

It's not a prestige issue, as other than the 328 and the A4/allroad, I VERY seriously considered a Ford Fusion Titanium (actually had started some paperwork on a special order with Ford before choosing the F30) when I was car shopping this spring, and no one is getting into the blue oval to impress anyone (outside of the truck world anyway).

However, I just can't get past the image of Cadillac being a retirement car. I get that the CTS-V is a performance monster, and they're trying really hard to change their image and attract younger buyers...but...I just...can't.
BMW is my go to brand not only for the cars themselves but also for the entire sales, finance, and service experience. BMW feels like home while Cadillac just feels like a very strange land - dominated by a culture that is at odds with my life experience....this is probably all in my head, but despite the big bucks spent by Cadillac to lure me, I'm not going there....Furthermore, my experience - BMW does what it takes to keep its frequent flyers in the BMW fold.

Last edited by Capobranco; 09-20-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:42 PM
Novice driver

Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
BMW does what it takes to keep its frequent flyers in the BMW fold.
Frequent flyer, huh? Do I need to get a BMW airborne to qualify? jk

Anyway, after my superb European Delivery experience at BMW Welt, I don't wish to acquire future automobiles any other way. Similarly, BMW is my preferred brand of motorcycle/maxi-scooter when I'm ready to purchase one of those.

And while it's true that neither Bimmerfest nor BMW CCA require members to drive or ride BMW products, I think the overall experience with both is enhanced by having one (or more).
Old 09-20-2013, 12:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Wagon
Quote:

I totally agree. Besides the image, I can't get passed how they actually look. The lines just do not appeal to me!
Old 09-20-2013, 01:17 PM
xDriver

Quote:
BMW is my go to brand not only for the cars themselves but also for the entire sales, finance, and service experience. BMW feels like home while Cadillac just feels like a very strange land - dominated by a culture that is at odds with my life experience....this is probably all in my head, but despite the big bucks spent by Cadillac to lure me, I'm not going there....Furthermore, my experience - BMW does what it takes to keep its frequent flyers in the BMW fold.
I agree with you there - in fact, I just started a thread (mostly for my own catharsis) about my experience with BMW vs Audi in my most recent purchase, and the "BMW experience" was what sealed the deal. Prior to my experience with my BMW dealer, I was convinced I would drive Audis til I died.

Old 09-20-2013, 01:21 PM
328i xDrive Commuter

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive Sport
Quote:
The old Cadillac image of big cars and sub-par reliability will be hard to overcome. I am from Michigan and had many relatives work in the auto industry over the decades. Back in the 60s, the motors were assembled by hand. For example, at one time, the pistons were hand fitted into bores by 0.0005 sizes to ensure as close to blueprinted assembly as possible. The Cadillac transmissions were assembled with the more expensive premium gaskets, seals vs. the other GM brands. At one time Cadillac was even offered by executives to build a mid-sized car to compete with the Chevelles and GTO's. That would have been quite the car, a mid-size Cadillac with a 472 CI motor. Sadly, that separation of quality disappeared with cost saving "Platforms" that dictated all domestic vehicles were built from the same frame, engines, etc. to save costs. The brand never even bothered with the European and Asian sport sedan segment until they were outsold a few years back by another premium brand. Arrogance can be expensive! It is completely understandable to feel at odds. But you must give credit where credit is due. Even ten years ago, the thought of a Cadillac that performs on par with a BMW, I donít think so? The attractive price of the Cadillac will keep pressure on BMW to provide a great product at a good price! We are living in interesting times!

Quote:

I bought my Wife an SRX. She drove a X3, RX300, Q7, etc. She preferred the Cadillac look, feel, price. The vehicle has been trouble free for 4 years, she is still happy with it so I cannot complain. I drove the new ATS last fall but just liked the look and feel of the BMW better. My Daughters both drive BMWs, an X1 & X3.

2013 328i xDrive / 8-Speed / Imperial Blue / Everest Grey / Sport Package / Premium Package / Tech Package / Heated Seats
Old 09-20-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post
Yeap. IMO M sport 328/320 or turbo ATS is the best bang for the buck in this segment.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:

It is the opposite for me. I really enjoy BMW service experience and community but I can't get past the image of BMW brand.... I would much, much rather be associated with a retirement brand than this:
https://www.bimmerfest.com/news/7153...find-by-yahoo/

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=715251
Old 09-20-2013, 05:17 PM
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)

Mein Auto: F30 335i MSpt- Mus GT 5.0
When I sold my E60 5er I was ready to jump into an F10. That was until a few test drives totally turned me off the car. I never liked the E90 for a lot of reasons, so it was not a suitable replacement for me. After various test drives in a variety of cars I ended up with a Cadillac CTS equipped with the FE3 sport package, LSD, and Recaro seats. The car was the closest thing in driving feel to my E60 that I cold find. The Cadillac dealer experience was top notch too. My dealer, who also carried Rolls-Royce, Bentley, Aston Martin, McLaren and Land Rover, were no slackers when it came to customer service.

But, when we sold the Cadillac I was happy to find that the F30 provided everything I needed. We really wanted to do another ED, so that was a big factor in the new car decision. And although the ATS is a great handling car, it has some of the same problems for me that the E90 had. It's too small in the back seat, and the trunk is too small.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if 1) I didn't want to do an ED, and 2) the ATS had more room in the back, and 3) it had a larger trunk.....I'd have no qualms in buying the ATS. Cadillac is building really great cars these days.

I'm really interested in seeing how the new CTS will perform when it hits the market. My guess is that it will give the F10 a run for the money.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

2013 335i M Sport- EBII / BLACK / Dk Walnut
Pkgs-Prem/ DHP/ Tech/ DA/DA+ Opts- 8Sprt AT/ Htd FS/ HK/ Hi Bm Asst/ 403 19" w/perf

ED#2-04/23/13-
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mdsbuc/...eat=directlink
ED#1-10/10/05-
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mdsbuc/...eat=directlink
Old 09-20-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsbuc View Post
When I sold my E60 5er I was ready to jump into an F10. That was until a few test drives totally turned me off the car. I never liked the E90 for a lot of reasons, so it was not a suitable replacement for me. After various test drives in a variety of cars I ended up with a Cadillac CTS equipped with the FE3 sport package, LSD, and Recaro seats. The car was the closest thing in driving feel to my E60 that I cold find. The Cadillac dealer experience was top notch too. My dealer, who also carried Rolls-Royce, Bentley, Aston Martin, McLaren and Land Rover, were no slackers when it came to customer service.

But, when we sold the Cadillac I was happy to find that the F30 provided everything I needed. We really wanted to do another ED, so that was a big factor in the new car decision. And although the ATS is a great handling car, it has some of the same problems for me that the E90 had. It's too small in the back seat, and the trunk is too small.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if 1) I didn't want to do an ED, and 2) the ATS had more room in the back, and 3) it had a larger trunk.....I'd have no qualms in buying the ATS. Cadillac is building really great cars these days.

I'm really interested in seeing how the new CTS will perform when it hits the market. My guess is that it will give the F10 a run for the money.
I completely understand. I am not a fan of the F10 . I currently drive an E90 but I find the F30 size wise to be pretty much perfect. I think it strikes a perfect balance for everyday use. Also Cadillac has been on a roll lately. The upcoming CTS V sport is nothing short of astonishing and the current ATS really leads its segment where it matters most.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:12 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:

Nothing wrong with retirement cars. My "retirement" cars include a Porsche 911 GTS convertible and a BMW 335is convertible. It's called retiring in style!

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
Old 09-20-2013, 10:11 PM
xDriver

328i, the every day normal car

Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
Nothing wrong with retirement cars. My "retirement" cars include a Porsche 911 GTS convertible and a BMW 335is convertible. It's called retiring in style!
Agreed, that IS retiring in style. The caddie is just retiring :-)

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 09-21-2013, 04:31 AM

Mein Auto: 5
Quote:
I completely understand. I am not a fan of the F10 .
The key is to try the xdrive, which still has hydraulic power steering. It is a pinch tighter in the steering.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
Yes! Prior to ordering my F30 320i, I test drove an ATS 2.0T 6MT Performance Collection extensively. The ATS 2.0T Standard model is also available with a 6MT at a significantly lower price. The latter is my preferred configuration, but no such cars were available at Washington, D.C. and Baltimore area dealerships back then.

As LegendsNeverDie stated, ATS easily exceeds F30 from a driving dynamics perspective; the 2.0T, 6MT Cadillac exemplifies the sport component of "sport sedan" in high fidelity - more so than any comparable, unmodified F30 extant.

There were three factors that prompted me to choose the F30, despite the ATS' superiority in fun-to-drive characteristics:

1.) The Bimmerfest and BMW CCA communities, including driver training clinics and autocross events hosted by most CCA chapters.
2.) European Delivery.
3.) Lower purchase price due to ED discount and fewer unnecessary frills such as full power seat adjustments and satellite radio.

Here's the ATS I drove:

my loaded 320i sport, was 10k less than the sticker on this ATS...