Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328xi
iPhone connected by cable

When I picked up my car I inquired about a Y cable but was told that I didn't need one as my iPhone 4S would connect by Bluetooth.

So far I have been using the Bluetooth connection for songs and phone. I am under the impression that the phone needs to be connected by cable if I want to use BMW connected apps or to connect with the ECO Pro "program"

When I attach my phone to the armrest USB using the supplied iPhone cord, all I get is a horrendous buzzing sound (sounds bad).

Am I doing something wrong, or missing something (setup) that I should do.

I am happy continuing with the Bluetooth connection, but am I missing out on anything by not attaching my phone by the cord ?

2014 BMW 328xi Sport Line

Orion Silver
Premium Package
Lighting Package
Dynamic Handling Package
Tech Package
Cold Weather Package

Love it!!!!
Ads by Google
Old 09-18-2013, 08:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328d
Since you have the tech package, you do not need the old Y cable anymore. iPhone USB cable is good enough to play the audio from your phone. In the idrive go to Multimedia->External Devices->(your iPhone).

Also remember that the playback is not possible if the iPhone is connected via Bluetooth audio and via the USB port or the snap-in adapter at the same time. You have to disconnect one of the two connections (unpair your iPhone and give it a try).

Last edited by kubera; 09-18-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:25 PM

Mein Auto: 750 LI
Hey I was having trouble with my I Phone playing audio in my 750 LI. so I went to the dealer.........***** the dealer didn't know how to work the I phone connection in the car. Well after going back a few times and trying to figure it out we inserted the white phone cable in the bottom of phone and it shows (Not Supported), so while I was walking out I was checking out a used 2012 750LI and I happen to see a cable in the console, so I said to the salesman "Hey what is this for"? and he said to operate the I Phone audio. "what the ----" Holly cow........... after all this time the service writer didn't even know. BMW owners There is a special cable called "Music Adapter" the dealer sells the part is for $80.00 and the part number is #61 12 2 338 491 however online it's only $16.00 enjoy your I phone clean audio :-)
Old 09-18-2013, 09:26 PM

Mein Auto: 750 LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNye45 View Post
When I picked up my car I inquired about a Y cable but was told that I didn't need one as my iPhone 4S would connect by Bluetooth.

So far I have been using the Bluetooth connection for songs and phone. I am under the impression that the phone needs to be connected by cable if I want to use BMW connected apps or to connect with the ECO Pro "program"

When I attach my phone to the armrest USB using the supplied iPhone cord, all I get is a horrendous buzzing sound (sounds bad).

Am I doing something wrong, or missing something (setup) that I should do.

I am happy continuing with the Bluetooth connection, but am I missing out on anything by not attaching my phone by the cord ?
Hey I was having trouble with my I Phone playing audio in my 750 LI. so I went to the dealer.........***** the dealer didn't know how to work the I phone connection in the car. Well after going back a few times and trying to figure it out we inserted the white phone cable in the bottom of phone and it shows (Not Supported), so while I was walking out I was checking out a used 2012 750LI and I happen to see a cable in the console, so I said to the salesman "Hey what is this for"? and he said to operate the I Phone audio. "what the ----" Holly cow........... after all this time the service writer didn't even know. BMW owners There is a special cable called "Music Adapter" the dealer sells the part is for $80.00 and the part number is #61 12 2 338 491 however online it's only $16.00 enjoy your I phone clean audio :-)
Old 09-18-2013, 11:14 PM
10k Miles down!

Mein Auto: 435i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracyp View Post
This sounds like the Y cable to me, is that what you're referring to?
Old 09-19-2013, 02:50 PM
BMW New Guy

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracyp View Post
I take it the white phone cable, is the USB charging/docking cable for your iPhone. Unless your car has Enhanced USB, you cannot playback music thru USB. The Y-Cable referred to in the post above, is designed for you to be able to do this.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

The op stated they have tech package. So they have enhanced USB.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E92 BMW 335i
Two things to try.

1. Go to www.BMW.com/update and see if you have the latest software. I picked up my car a few weeks ago, and my software revision was 8 months old. My iphone did not work properly until I installed that. (Instructions are in your manual.)

2. Bluetooth audio requires a few menus to be found and turned on. It's not obvious nor easy to get to IMHP. Again check the manual.

If you turn on bluetooth audio, and later use the USB cable at all (even for charging), the car may turn off bluetooth audio on you. This is true of most 2013 and older cars. I think this is fixed in 2014 models (iDrive 4.2).
Old 09-21-2013, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E82 & 2012 E93
I noticed if the audio sounds much better if you connected the Y cable to phone when playing audio, some how BT lost some audio quality when you are streaming music.
2006 E90 ( Sold )
2001 E46 ( Sold )

My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Old 09-21-2013, 09:56 AM

Mein Auto: 328i RWD SportLine F30

BT audio will definitely be lower fidelity than direct connection, though if you really want an improvement and you happen to have a H&K and a USB DAC I'd be curious to see how much of an improvement that would be over the straight USB connection.

I'm a bit miffed that my iPod Classic skips horribly via USB at the start of every song on my f30 when it was perfectly fine in my '01 Honda. I'll probably load onto the hard drive to resolve the issue.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-21-2013, 10:55 AM
BMW New Guy

Re: iPhone connected by cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clepto View Post
BT audio will definitely be lower fidelity than direct connection, though if you really want an improvement and you happen to have a H&K and a USB DAC I'd be curious to see how much of an improvement that would be over the straight USB connection.

I'm a bit miffed that my iPod Classic skips horribly via USB at the start of every song on my f30 when it was perfectly fine in my '01 Honda. I'll probably load onto the hard drive to resolve the issue.

Never had any skipping or audio quality problems with my ipod touch. What size are you using and how much space used? Guess it could be an indexing problem.

Last edited by greywolf328i; 09-21-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:15 PM

Mein Auto: 328i RWD SportLine F30

I'm running an 80gb classic, I hear flash based iPods are fine, just seems odd that the hard drive models have issues with BMWs head unit.