Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:51 PM
BMWCCA MEMBER

Mein Auto: 2005 Z4
Z4 antenna

I purchased a car cover for my 2005 Z4. Fits perfectly. Except for one thing. The antenna. I have the long antenna. It is flexible but I am afraid of actually breaking it. After perusing the forums most just say unscrew it. Being new to this car and BMW's in general. Can I literally just start turning the antenna and it will screw off or is there a safe way to do it without breaking it. Pictures would be appreciated on how to do this. Thanks.
Ads by Google
Old 09-21-2013, 11:13 PM
BMWCCA MEMBER

Well duh. That was easy. Just screwed off. So. Now that that is solved. I see different theories on the short antenna's. Which is the best for reception. What make?
Old 09-21-2013, 11:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 Z4
Z4 antenna

Turn counter clockwise.... I put a stubby antenna on in its place... When I put my cover on I out a tennis ball that I drilled a hole in over the stubby. It provides enough surface area to prevent tearing cover.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-22-2013, 09:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 3.0si
You'll find that the stubby antenna replacement is one of the more popular mods, primarily for looks rather than fitting under a cover - I did it for both. After installing it, I have no problems in the city with reception, outside the city about 30 miles once I get into the hills that block the signal it loses reception faster. Not a problem, as about the only time I listen to the radio instead of my own music is when I'm testing antenna reception ....
Old 09-22-2013, 10:03 PM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 2009, Roadster
I would not want to change the antenna it is all part of the look, in addition to reception. A hole can be created in the cover with a grommet installed where the hole was made for the antenna to stick thru. It is a pain screwing the antenna on and off, good luck with your project but it certainly is worth the extra effort. Arnie
Old 09-22-2013, 10:56 PM
BMWCCA MEMBER

Thanks to everyone for the input. I found one on ebay. It is an extendable one. Goes from 5 inches all the way to 10 inches. This way I dont have to unscrew anything. I will let you know whether it is good or not.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:03 AM

Mein Auto: '06 M Roadster Imola/Blk
Quote:
Originally Posted by myz913 View Post
Thanks to everyone for the input. I found one on ebay. It is an extendable one. Goes from 5 inches all the way to 10 inches. This way I dont have to unscrew anything. I will let you know whether it is good or not.
Pretty cool. Didn't know that existed. I have found my 3" stubby antenna picks up radio stations fine when I need it.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:58 AM
Hat's On, Tops Down!

Mein Auto: 2008 Z4MR
I got my stubby from "Stubby Antenna" and it works ok, but I subscribe to Pandora and seldom listen to the radio anymore. My car cover came with a punch out hole for the antenna and both the stock and stubby stuck through with no issues. I did get rid of the car cover after I discovered scratches on the fenders from the elastic. It was a "Budget" cover, I have a premium one coming, if it ever gets here.

Regards

2008 Z4M Roadster
BMWCCA/ZSCCA Member
Old 09-24-2013, 08:45 PM
BMWCCA MEMBER

I got the car cover from ebay. It is super soft and thick. It was around 139.00 free shipping. Very happy with it. The antenna I ordered is coming from canada instead of what they stated as Blaine, Washington. Might take a while to get here.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:49 PM

Mein Auto: '03 Z4 2.5i Silver/Black
I have the BMW cover and have never used it...I bought from a forum member...lol Never gave the antena any consideration. Maybe I'll make the hole on the cover. I also like to have as much of the car as it came off the production line as possible.

MYZ913, do you mind if I ask milleage and $ on your 05 purchase?
I love white cars... I hope to upgrade to an 06(due to sticky steering fix) with less miles than mine in a year or less.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:08 AM
BMWCCA MEMBER

I purchased the car for 18,500 with 48,000 miles on it. Pristine condition in and out. It is automatic. Would have preferred the six speed. The stock radio is blah. No ipod/aux jack. Will upgrade at some point. The BMW brakes are super dusty. Looking to put Akebono ceramics on soon. Just replaced miserable bridgestone run flats with some great pirelli tires. Love this car. It is an absolutely joy to drive. Will be running it up to NY this weekend. She was born to run. Thanks for asking.

Ran the data for it. It came with the following features.

Type code BT33
Type Z4 2.5I (USA)
E series E85 ()
Series Z
Type ROADST
Steering LL
Doors 2
Engine M54
Displacement 2.50
Power 141
Drive HECK
Transmission AUT
Colour ALPINWEISS 3 (300)
Upholstery LEDER OREGON/SCHWARZ (LASW)
Prod.date 2005-10-27

Options

Code Description (interface) Description (EPC)
S1CAA SELEKTION COP RELEVANTER FAHRZEUGE Selection of COP-relevant vehicles
S205A AUTOMATIC GETRIEBE Automatic transmission
S224A FAHRDYNAMIK CONTROL Driving dynamic control
S249A MULTIFUNKTION FUER LENKRAD Multifunction f steering wheel
S332A LM RAEDER TURBINENSTYLING 106 BMW LA wheel turbine styling 106
S354A GRUENKEIL-FRONTSCHEIBE Windscreen, green-tinted upper strip
S380A HARDTOP-VORBEREITUNG Hardtop-preparation
S399A VERDECKBETAETIGUNG VOLLAUTOMATISCH Softtop, electromech. all-autom.
S430A INNEN-/AUSSENSPIEGEL AUT.ABBLENDEND Interior/outside mirror with auto dip
S437A EDELHOLZAUSFUEHRUNG Fine wood trim
S441A RAUCHERPAKET Smoker package
S459A SITZVERSTELLUNG, ELEKTR.MIT MEMORY Seat adjustment, electric, with memory
S493A ABLAGENPAKET Storage compartment package
S494A SITZHEIZUNG FUER FAHRER/BEIFAHRER Seat heating driver/passenger
S520A NEBELSCHEINWERFER Fog lights
Code Description (interface) Description (EPC)
S521A REGENSENSOR Rain sensor
S522A XENON-LICHT Xenon Light
S534A KLIMAAUTOMATIK Automatic air conditioning
S540A GESCHWINDIGKEITSREGELUNG Cruise control
S550A BORDCOMPUTER On-board computer
S5GAA ALARMANLAGENVORBEREITUNG Preparation alarm system
S639A KOMPLETTVORB. HANDY USA/CDN Preparation f mobile phone cpl. USA/CDN
S645A RADIO-STEUERUNG US BMW US Radio
S662A RADIO BMW BUSINESS CD Radio BMW Business CD
S677A HIFI SYSTEM PROFESSIONAL HiFi system Professional DSP
S692A CD WECHSLER I-BUS VORBEREITUNG Preparation, BMW 6-CD changer I-bus
S704A M SPORTFAHRWERK M Sports suspension
S785A WEISSE BLINKLEUCHTEN White direction indicator lights
S8SPA COP STEUERUNG Control unit COP
Old 09-26-2013, 12:31 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
When it comes to radio reception, the optimum length of the antenna is determined by exactly what frequency is being received. Too short is as detrimental as too long. Low frequencies like AM require very long antennas for optimum performance so significantly shortening an already too short antenna will significantly degrade performance. Optimum FM band antennas are much shorter than AM but optimum lengths (so called 1/4 wave) are still much longer than the stubbies referred to above. A stubby will work but with much less sensitivity and unless the station has a strong signal it will not be received well. Generally, in urban areas, there are plenty of strong signals but stations immediately outside the area your in will not be received well. In my area the nearest NPR station is about 30 miles away so I would probably lose it completely making my already much too short Z3 antenna shorter.

In other words, by using a stubby you are compromising performance for appearance. That is not something I will ever tolerate with my cars be it the antenna, headlight/taillight mods, etc.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:35 AM
BMWCCA MEMBER

The one I purchased is expandable from 5 inches all the way up to 10. So I think I am good.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:36 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by myz913 View Post
The BMW brakes are super dusty. Looking to put Akebono ceramics on soon.
Been using Akebono pads and Brembo rotors on my Z3 for a number of years. My Z3 (2002 3.0i) came with really incredible brakes and that performance appears unchanged. I was very reluctant to change from the factory pads but did so after a number of people I respect indicated I would not be sorry. They were right. In another thread somewhere some guys had issues with the Akebono ceramic pads but it was nothing I ever observed.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:39 AM
BMWCCA MEMBER

Thanks RhoXS for the info. Really getting tired of the dust. It is all over the wheels and the back end of the car.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:10 AM
petehuse

Mein Auto: 2011 335ix coupe
Antenna and cover

I have been using the BMW cover over the original antenna for a couple years without a problem...I just bends over a bit!