Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:59 AM

Mein Auto: 13' 335
Downshifting doesn't feel right

This is the second thread I have started on this topic the last one really didn't provide and answer and turned into a discussion about gas mileage. I am a first time BMW owner I received delivery of a new 335i Xdrive sports line with the sport 8 speed AT transmission I have driven the car for a little over 200 miles now and I'm starting to get more comfortable with the way the car drives now the only issue I have is that when you let off the gas and allow the car to cruise and come to a rolling stop I noticed that when the car shifts from 3rd to 2nd the car noticeably slows down and then from 2nd to 1st the car kind of kicks you feel a bit of a jolt or a jerk as the car shifts I was just curious if this is a normal trait and others have experienced this or if I should be concerned and making an appointment to get checked out.
Advertisement
Old 09-23-2013, 07:06 AM

Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianC86 View Post
This is the second thread I have started on this topic the last one really didn't provide and answer and turned into a discussion about gas mileage. I am a first time BMW owner I received delivery of a new 335i Xdrive sports line with the sport 8 speed AT transmission I have driven the car for a little over 200 miles now and I'm starting to get more comfortable with the way the car drives now the only issue I have is that when you let off the gas and allow the car to cruise and come to a rolling stop I noticed that when the car shifts from 3rd to 2nd the car noticeably slows down and then from 2nd to 1st the car kind of kicks you feel a bit of a jolt or a jerk as the car shifts I was just curious if this is a normal trait and others have experienced this or if I should be concerned and making an appointment to get checked out.
As I said in the previous thread, normal for not only my own 328i, but the loaner 328i I had. This characteristic worked itself out at around 3,000 miles. I also believe the car learns your habits and will adjust accordingly.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:22 AM

Thanks SanDiegoBMW328i I'm hoping that this is the case with mine I've only had it for a week so I still have a way to go to finish breaking it in I was just concerned because I have driven many different automatic cars none of them have ever felt that way while rolling to a stop and downshifting thru the lower gears
Old 09-23-2013, 07:28 AM

Yep - those we're my same thoughts.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i
My 328i did exactly them same thing when I got it a 1 1/2 ago, especially when downshifting into first, at maybe 5 MPH. I had forgotten about it. Now I don't notice it at all. Thought I had just gotten use to it, but others think it kind of learns after a while or "breaks-in".
Old 09-23-2013, 07:51 AM

SanDiegoBMW328i did you by any chance ever bring this up to BMW services if so what was their answer? Cause I have done some research and some people have mentioned that they have a transmission software update that BMW services can update or that you can try resetting the transmission by turning the car on not the engine just all the components and holding the gas pedal down for 30 seconds then shutting the car off releasing the gas pedal waiting a min then fully turning the car on I tried the resetting process but I did not feel any difference.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:54 AM

blonyskin yes you feel it this most when the car shifts from 2nd to 1st did you ever bring this up to the dealer if so what was there answer to you? Cause I'm not sure if I should be making a big deal out if it or if it's just a normal trait that BMW has.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i
I did not bring it up to service. By the time the first service was due at one year, I had completely forgotten about it.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
SanDiegoBMW328i did you by any chance ever bring this up to BMW services if so what was their answer? Cause I have done some research and some people have mentioned that they have a transmission software update that BMW services can update or that you can try resetting the transmission by turning the car on not the engine just all the components and holding the gas pedal down for 30 seconds then shutting the car off releasing the gas pedal waiting a min then fully turning the car on I tried the resetting process but I did not feel any difference.
I did. They said it was normal. Also confirmed by the loaner car. I did reset the learning system but that didn't really help immediately. What has worked is simply driving the car. I originally thought it was the breaks needing to be broken in. Give it a few more months and you should be ok.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 535i.F30 335i
Had the same issue with my car around 1000 miles (335i), took it in, they said nothing was wrong. It has since stopped doing it.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i, 2002 330i
Still waiting for my F30, but I can comment with regards to my E70 which has the same 8sp auto and 3.0 turbo engine. For the first few weeks it did sometimes downshift abruptly when slowing to a stop, but that behavior eventually stopped on its own.

One thing to note is that if you're in sport mode you'll start off in 1st gear, so the tranny will downshift all the way to first when stopping. With the E70 at least (dunno about the F30), if you're in regular mode it normally only downshifts to 2nd, and starts off in 2nd. You can easily confirm this behavior by coming to a complete stop then shifting the tranny lever to the "S" side. If you were in 2nd you'll feel a clunk as it shifts to 1st.

Also in sports mode the car will downshift at higher rpms when coming to stop, causing more engine braking. Coming to a stop in regular mode is much smoother.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:22 AM

Cheikh82 did they do any sort of transmission update or reset on your car or have you tried doing the reset yourself by any chance cause it seems like a lot of people have this issue but there has not been a sure way of fixing it beside just waiting and seeing if it goes away after a few thousand miles
Old 09-23-2013, 09:29 AM

Cheikh82 so I have tested it on all modes Eco is the smooths if you let off the gas and let the car roll to a stop you feel the downshifting but smoother in comfort the default mode you definitely feel the engine breaking when it shifts from 3rd to 2nd and when it shifts from 2nd to 1st is when you feel that little jolt or jerk in sport like you said is where it's the most noticeable of all modes
Old 09-23-2013, 10:21 AM

Mein Auto: BMW F30 330d M Sport

Normal. Torque Convertor unlocks at sub 10mph.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-23-2013, 10:27 AM

Bratters123 what do you drive? Does it get better as you break the car in more or is this something that will alway perform this way?
Old 09-23-2013, 12:22 PM

Mein Auto: BMW F30 330d M Sport

F30 330d M Sport. 3500 miles and it performs the same as new.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-23-2013, 01:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i.F30 335i
Quote:
Cheikh82 did they do any sort of transmission update or reset on your car or have you tried doing the reset yourself by any chance cause it seems like a lot of people have this issue but there has not been a sure way of fixing it beside just waiting and seeing if it goes away after a few thousand miles
No sort of any update or reset. They just took it for a drive and said it was normal, and that it will get smother in a few miles. Now I do not feel it anymore.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i
I also posted in the other thread started by the OP.

I've had this issue since day one (now with 8000 miles). It has never gotten better. For what it's worth, I've also had it in every other 2012/13 328i I've driven (my test drives, a weekend rental and a recent loaner).

I do find it annoying, but it hasn't really diminished my overall appreciation for the car (in part because I'm leasing, so I know I'll be changing out in a couple of years).

Last edited by gweeta; 09-24-2013 at 05:43 AM.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:59 AM

gweeta yeah I did somewhat notice this when I first test drove the 335i xdrive at the dealer but since most of the test drive was on the highway I really didn't get a chance to really get comfortable and feel it out since it was during the ultimate drive event and they already had a mapped out area where to test drive I love the car this is the only thing that had been bothering me about the car and since I did not lease I purchased it's a bit disappointing but I can deal with it I was just worried that something was wrong with my transmission but now that you say that you have experienced this in every 3 series that you have driven I am not as worried. By any chance have you ever mentioned this to you BMW services if so what was their answer to you? I also hope that this doesn't bring me any long term issues like 7 or 8 years down the line.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i
I did mention it, but more in the form of a question. "Has anyone complained about the transmission being rough on downshifting." The response was just what you'd expect. "No. Everyone says it's like butter."

I'm no expert, but my guess is that this is not the kind of thing that would lead to long-term mechanical issues. It just seems like the nature of the beast, rather than a problem. There was another thread on this subject and someone else (who also had the issue) made the point that some of us are just more aware of these things than others.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:26 AM

gweeta yea makes since some of us just pay more attention to little details as I do