Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 09-22-2013, 02:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 530i
Everyone aware a 4 series is a F30 coupe?

It's a bit hard to find credible info on the differences between the 4 and 3 series (except of course 2-4doors). But that's my point, what is really the difference underneath the bodies?? Id imagine there is very few if any differences as far a suspension, drivetrain, EPS is concerned.

It seems to me many people think this is a new vehicle coming out of Munich and many are going crazy over it. Excuse me for saying it sure looks an awful lot like a damn F30 coupe. I'd even go so far as to say the 3 and the 4 will have identical performance numbers and even driving feel. Its not like all the E90 haters problems with the F30 are fixed with the 4er. quite the contrary actually, its the exact same car a far as dynamics and weight distro is concerned. Im certain it also has the dreaded EPS steering so many seem to hate these days (I like it actually call me crazy).

Im actually happy for those who will deliver their new 4 soon. shout out to mwm1166, gorgeous car man. It is a great car and has BIG TIME road presence. I've seen them in Germany here and there....

One other thing about it though. This seriously makes me laugh out loud. IF BMW actually builds a 4 Gran Coupe, I will raise the white flag and surrender to ingenious marketing on BMWW's part, and shear stupidity of the consumers whom would buy it thinking its anything different than a F30. I'd lose it if I saw what a 328i and a 428i GC looked like parked next to one-another. wait... then again they already kinds did this with the 5-6 series. but dare I say that actually made sense, then again the difference between a M6-GC and a M5 are ZERO except for the body... many actually call the M6-GC the best M5 ever built.... to each their own though. I'm just curious about others opinions on this subject.
Ads by Google
Old 09-22-2013, 08:09 PM

Mein Auto: 325 xi
I'm not sure why they're calling it a 4 series. We were going to order a 3 series coupe and discovered that it was now a 4 series. They're saying that it is a wider and lower stance redesign. Probably calling it a 4 series brings better attention to the redesign. I think it looks nice, I don't think we would have cared if it was called a 3 series coupe, but no doubt calling it a 4 has created some buzz. There's a lot of competition out there and marketing is part of the response for sure.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:23 PM

Mein Auto: 1990 BMW 525i M20B25
Well they made the 4 series because that is just how BMW wants to identify their cars from now on. All coupes are even numbers and all sedans are odd. Also they are making a 4 series Gran Coupe. Who would pay the premium over a normal F30..IDK (People that don't care about money). And the difference between a Gran Coupe is its stance, it's longer, a little lower and has a roof like a coupe. It also is a little more elegant. Here are some spy shots of the 4 Series GC http://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/04/b...upe-spy-shots/
Old 09-23-2013, 05:47 AM
328i xDrive Commuter

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckfever View Post
... We were going to order a 3 series coupe and discovered that it was now a 4 series. They're saying that it is a wider and lower stance redesign...
I believe the 4 has the following items different than the 3:

Lower center of gravity
Extra frame braces for front suspension (more ridgid than the 3er)
Wider rear track
Electronic steering more sensitive than 3

There may be more, but this is what I have seen...

2013 328i xDrive / 8-Speed / Imperial Blue / Everest Grey / Sport Package / Premium Package / Tech Package / Heated Seats
Old 09-23-2013, 06:09 AM
Enthusiast

Mein Auto: E92 335i Coupe
I spent thousands of miles in an F30 328i and just reviewed my time in the new 428i where I put roughly 500 miles on the car. I definitely saw a difference between the two and thought the 428i was easily more fun to drive. The cars also do not look as similar they do in photos.

They did a great job with the F32 IMO.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:21 AM

Mein Auto: F30 328i, AP1 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgray View Post
I believe the 4 has the following items different than the 3:

Lower center of gravity
Extra frame braces for front suspension (more ridgid than the 3er)
Wider rear track
Electronic steering more sensitive than 3

There may be more, but this is what I have seen...
IIRC, the marketing also said something about a more aggressive suspension tune.

To the OP, I suspect we'd see the same enthusiasm from coupe purchasers even if BMW called it the 3-Series Coupe. IOW, I don't think the name change is what's driving the interest.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:08 AM
I probably dislike you...

Mein Auto: 2013 328i Sport
Why so upset? What is in a name? Who cares what they call it, or how many variants there are. YOU are not the entire market, and marketing is just as important as engineering.
2002 325xi (Retired, very much missed)
Old 09-23-2013, 08:10 AM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by samualcc View Post
Why so upset? What is in a name? Who cares what they call it, or how many variants there are. YOU are not the entire market, and marketing is just as important as engineering.

Is this the new BMW motto? Sadly it seems to be. N4S
Old 09-23-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed View Post
[/B]

Is this the new BMW motto? Sadly it seems to be. N4S
Please. Marketing is important and has been for decades with BMW. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean the market doesn't.

If I took away all the badges and numbers from every BMW and told you just to choose the one you like, would there be one for you? If so, then BMW has succeeded and you are upset for no logical reason. If you can't find one for you, then it is time for another brand.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Please. Marketing is important and has been for decades with BMW. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean the market doesn't.

If I took away all the badges and numbers from every BMW and told you just to choose the one you like, would there be one for you? If so, then BMW has succeeded and you are upset for no logical reason. If you can't find one for you, then it is time for another brand.
^^^ yup

One thing though, just my opinion. A lot of people on this and even other forums get tunnel vision on forums like this and actually think THEY are the market. When in fact THEY are not even a measurable fraction of the market. This forum has beat this subject to death too but it rings true. BMW is a buisness which exists to make MONEY, and by the way they make cars.... not the other way around. i think alot of so called enthusiasts mix those 2 up. most wont agree with me but call it what you will. If BMW could lease/sell you a $40 Pb&J sandwich they would. Case in point, at a dealer in the states a few years back i saw -no ****t- BMW bottled water. is was $3 a F'n bottle lol. whats funnier was it was selling.... just a bottle of water with a "BMW" wrapper on it. Trust me if the market was upset about the steering they wouldnt be selling at record breaking paces... To all you actual F30 owners, Congrats enjoy your car, i do. To those who dont won a F30, and you know who you are, stop writing reviews based on what youve read or had very very limited experience with....
Old 09-23-2013, 10:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335I x-drive m-sport
I am a BMW loyalist, but can't help thinking much of it pure marketing, and maybe a bit of copying Audi!
BMW seems to have followed Audi into marketing using the various lines (Luxury, Sport, M-Sport), and now in the numbering of coupes different than sedans...

Gone 2011 535I X-Drive - Space Grey / Black Dakota / M-Sport / Sport Automatic with Paddles / Premium I / Premium II/ Cold Weather

Gone 2010 535I - Alpine Wht / Blck Dakota - Sprt, Premium, Cold Weather, Sport auto, Anthracite Liner, Nav, Satellite, HD & I-Pod

Gone - 2006 530XI -
Old 09-23-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrich1353 View Post
I am a BMW loyalist, but can't help thinking much of it pure marketing, and maybe a bit of copying Audi!
BMW seems to have followed Audi into marketing using the various lines (Luxury, Sport, M-Sport), and now in the numbering of coupes different than sedans...
yeah, BMW has def changed thier ways, especialy since the early 2000's. They have to kinda keep up with the times to stay competitive. that being said, i think BMW is still the best at what they do. audi,MB, VW, try as they might, cant replicate BMW. even if BMW is 3/4 fun as it used to be.

joe
Old 09-23-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30jojo View Post
^^^ yup

One thing though, just my opinion. A lot of people on this and even other forums get tunnel vision on forums like this and actually think THEY are the market. When in fact THEY are not even a measurable fraction of the market. This forum has beat this subject to death too but it rings true. BMW is a buisness which exists to make MONEY, and by the way they make cars.... not the other way around. i think alot of so called enthusiasts mix those 2 up. most wont agree with me but call it what you will. If BMW could lease/sell you a $40 Pb&J sandwich they would. Case in point, at a dealer in the states a few years back i saw -no ****t- BMW bottled water. is was $3 a F'n bottle lol. whats funnier was it was selling.... just a bottle of water with a "BMW" wrapper on it. Trust me if the market was upset about the steering they wouldnt be selling at record breaking paces... To all you actual F30 owners, Congrats enjoy your car, i do. To those who dont won a F30, and you know who you are, stop writing reviews based on what youve read or had very very limited experience with....
If you agree with me, why did you make this thread? And why are you needlessly trashing a Grand Coupe 4 series? I think it is a fantastic idea and it will probably look amazing (if the 6 GC is any indication). These are not Toyota's we are buying. If I am going to drop 40, 50, 60k on a car well damn it better be awesome. For some people, a GC 4 series will be awesome regardless of its practical limitations or how insane you think a 4 door coupe is.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:26 PM

Mein Auto: a car
Quote:
if you agree with me, why did you make this thread? And why are you needlessly trashing a grand coupe 4 series? I think it is a fantastic idea and it will probably look amazing (if the 6 gc is any indication). These are not toyota's we are buying. If i am going to drop 40, 50, 60k on a car well damn it better be awesome. For some people, a gc 4 series will be awesome regardless of its practical limitations or how insane you think a 4 door coupe is.
+1

2013 328i Sedan | ULEV N20 | M Sport Line | Estoril Blue II | Black Dakota Leather | Premium Package |
Technology Package | Driver Assistance Package | Dynamic Handling Package | Lighting Package |
Harmon Kardon Surround Sound | Sport Automatic Transmission with Shift Paddles | Anti Theft Alarm |
Port install: BMW M Performance Exhaust |
Old 09-23-2013, 05:56 PM
Woodswatchco

Mein Auto: 2013 328i 6sp manual
My two cents on a 428i t test drive.

My sales guy offered me a test drive of the 428i they just got in on Saturday. Of course I headed straight to the dealership. It was a white, 428i Sportline with the 8 speed auto. My 328i M Sport is a six speed manual and I swear the auto is so good in these cars, it may be my last manual. We did an in town/curvy interstate loop. I drove it as hard and fast as possible given the traffic. Here are the biggest differences in my opinion over the 4 door. The black, plastic side vents looked terrible and cheap. They need to be brushed aluminum. The 428i looks really long in person. It looks great just way longer than I expected. They retuned the exhaust in this car to sound amazing. It's nothing like my
328i. It sounds like a six cylinder and just loud enough. I'd say they will sell a ton of them.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:04 PM

Mein Auto: Saphire Black 2012 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by f30jojo View Post
^^^ yup

Totally agree with f30jojo .. this is all about money and marketing ... What's the old saying ? "Build it and they will come" ... or more closely "build it and they will buy it!!"

Apple have made this an art form ... 10 years ago what major company would have said we will bring out new models of product every six months?

With this sort of cycle it means that the iPhone "6" must be well advanced on the design\manufacturing cycle with the "5S" only been out for a week!!!

And if this business model was not working Apple would certainly not be using it ... Buyer Lines on product release day still go for miles.

BMW are just following their successful branding\marketing model to make money for the shareholders ...

f30jojo .. to answer your question ... got one - F30 Sportline .. love it!!!

GW