Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Subaru STi
BMW Jack Pad Adapter

As all Bimmerfest members know, a jack pad adapter is necessary for jacking a BMW up. Without it, the plastic (!) lift point receiver will break.

My question is, is there any reason not to permanently attach the four jack pad adapters to the plastic receivers? Will the adapter pads be visible?

acme
Old 09-23-2013, 08:49 PM

Mein Auto: '13 320i, occ. use of X3
Really? I thought a block of wood was good enough to distribute the weight along the entire bottom edge of the rectangular piece of plastic?
Old 09-23-2013, 09:17 PM

The edge of the jack pocket, or receiver, is pretty thin, and appears not to be intended to support weight. I think it is just there for steadying the OEM jack or maybe keeping metal jack away from painted surfaces. The whole plastic pocket is rather weakly attached to the frame, with a single fast clip. The actual lift point is up inside the pocket, at the far wall of the pocket.

The little jack adapters look like they support the car at both the top of the block and at the flat, circular surface below. But that is not the case: there is a 1/16 inch space between the plastic pocket and the adapter lower surface (the circular part) when the raised rectangle presses against the rear of the pocket.

acme
Old 09-24-2013, 06:44 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
You would be able to see them for sure. And from the ones I've seen they are just held in with a friction fit. You would have to attach them to the jack point some how, which, with the extra weight of the adapter could break off.

All of that being said I've jacked my car plenty of times on just the plastic. It is also where BMW will put the 2 post lift pads when servicing your car. I don't think you have any real concerns. I have a jack pad adapter I use for small floor jacks, etc. and it is great, but isn't 100% needed with the right jack.

Tim
Old 09-24-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
You would be able to see them for sure. And from the ones I've seen they are just held in with a friction fit. You would have to attach them to the jack point some how, which, with the extra weight of the adapter could break off.

All of that being said I've jacked my car plenty of times on just the plastic. It is also where BMW will put the 2 post lift pads when servicing your car. I don't think you have any real concerns. I have a jack pad adapter I use for small floor jacks, etc. and it is great, but isn't 100% needed with the right jack.

Tim
Thanks!

acme
Old 09-24-2013, 08:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i
I would use the special BMW adapter, this is available at third parties for like $10.