Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:41 PM

Mein Auto:
335i disapointing test drive

As a BMW fan I want to buy a 335i sport to replace my E46 .The dealership only had a 335iXdrive sport to test.
Like many other others I found the steering vague and mushey. The suspension was also bouncy and lacked good recovery performance.
I very much want to stay with BMW. Questions:
Would the non Xdrive have better steering and suspension feel ?
Would the M-sport have better steering and suspension feel ?
Would the 5 series be any better ?
Advertisement
Old 09-23-2013, 05:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 535i Sports Wagon
For xDrive, you want to test drive a model with DHP. 5 Series will be bigger and more of a boat.

2010 535i xDrive Sport Wagon (April 2009): Deep Sea Blue / Cream Beige / Sport, Premium, Cold Weather Packages
2011 335i xDrive Coupe (April 2011, European Delivery): Le Mans Blue / Oyster-Black / M Sport, Premium, Convenience Packages
Old 09-23-2013, 06:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp044 View Post
As a BMW fan I want to buy a 335i sport to replace my E46 .The dealership only had a 335iXdrive sport to test.
Like many other others I found the steering vague and mushey. The suspension was also bouncy and lacked good recovery performance.
There are too many suspension options (standard, sport, m-sport, x-drive, DHP). I've not seen anything that gets down to absolute details of every one of these options (e.g. are the stabilizer bars different between sport and m-sport, etc.). Then there are the steering options (standard, VSS), and finally wheel size (17" square, 18" square, 18" mixed, 19"...) and tire type (summer/all season). All of these have their differences.

Many folks here have commented they are reasonably happy with either the sport/m-sport (not xdrive) or DHP. There are others who do not even find those acceptable.

You will just have to spend a lot of time at the dealer test driving cars and seeing if you will like something. At least try a RWD m-sport, and another with DHP. 335s are hard to find and 335 in a specific configuration even more so. I had enough trouble finding a 328 with DHP.

2014 328i / Liquid Blue / Beige Leatherette / 4 DR / 6 MT / Moonroof / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 12K+ Miles / Bought 10-16-2013
2003 325i / Gray Green / Beige Leatherette / 4 DR / 5 MT / Moonroof / 219K+ Miles / Bought 12-21-2002 / Sold 10-21-2013
1998 Civic EX / Vogue Silver / Gray / 4 DR / 5 MT / 122K+ Miles / Bought 12-30-1997 / Totaled 08-2002
1988 Sentra / Gray / Gray / 2 DR / 4 MT / 190K+ Miles / Bought 06-1994 @ 120K+ Miles / Died 12-1997
Old 09-23-2013, 06:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 320i ZSP ZMT
The problem is that test drive F30's are often loaded up xDrive automatics. Underwhelming by a lot. I just trusted that a manual sport package F30 would be up to the level of my E36 and E46, and I was delighted with my May 2013 surprise!
Old 09-23-2013, 06:27 PM
328i xDrive Commuter

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive Sport
Quote:
xDrive: Softest Suspension 10 MM higher from standard
RWD - Base, Luxury, Modern: Standard Suspension
RWD - Sport M-Sport: Stiffer Suspension 10 MM lower from standard
DHP - Softest & Stiffest suspension on demand, better steering feel

Would the M-sport have better steering and suspension feel ? Only in RWD

Would the 5 series be any better ? Do not know, it has Electronic steering

4 series is suppose to be better...

2013 328i xDrive / 8-Speed / Imperial Blue / Everest Grey / Sport Package / Premium Package / Tech Package / Heated Seats
Old 09-23-2013, 06:54 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Quote:
No. The 5 series is going to be worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:24 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_clueless View Post
There are too many suspension options (standard, sport, m-sport, x-drive, DHP). I've not seen anything that gets down to absolute details of every one of these options (e.g. are the stabilizer bars different between sport and m-sport, etc.). Then there are the steering options (standard, VSS), and finally wheel size (17" square, 18" square, 18" mixed, 19"...) and tire type (summer/all season). All of these have their differences.

Many folks here have commented they are reasonably happy with either the sport/m-sport (not xdrive) or DHP. There are others who do not even find those acceptable.

You will just have to spend a lot of time at the dealer test driving cars and seeing if you will like something. At least try a RWD m-sport, and another with DHP. 335s are hard to find and 335 in a specific configuration even more so. I had enough trouble finding a 328 with DHP.
We can clarify one thing - the M Sport suspension that is standard on Sport line and M Sport line RWD models is identical on both.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 09-23-2013, 08:03 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
The optional M-Sport suspension is what you want if you want the BMW hunkered down, clings on to every corner type feel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328d
Re: 335i disapointing test drive

Adaptive M-suspension (comes with Dynamic Handling Package) is what you need for your xdrive.

You can configure the chassis for sporty or relaxed comfort drives. The adaptive dampeners that come with DHP ensure optimum road holding in all driving modes.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:37 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
As a BMW fan I want to buy a 335i sport to replace my E46 .The dealership only had a 335i Xdrive sport to test.
Folks! The OP is not looking for an xDrive. He drove that because it's all that was available. He's looking for rwd.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 09-23-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:58 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Folks! The OP is not looking for an xDrive. He drove that because it's all that was available. He's looking for rwd.
Are you all saying that the RWD sport or msport (NO X drive ) will handle better as to steering and suspension feel ?
Old 09-24-2013, 07:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
Are you all saying that the RWD sport or msport (NO X drive ) will handle better as to steering and suspension feel ?
It depend on your expectations. If you expect the same tightness in steering and suspension as a sport E90 you may be disappointed. The Sport Line RWD F30 is nicely controlled but all have the electric power steering which is lacking in feel even in sport mode which increases the effort. I urge you to seek one out for a test drive. If you can't find one at a dealer, perhaps a local member of this forum would let you test their car.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:20 AM

Mein Auto: Acura TSX, 2010, 6MT
Quote:
For suspension feel, definitely. The RWD Sport models are lower and tighter. For steering, not sure. I've driven two F30 328i models, a RWD Sport Line and an X-drive with M-Sport, and thought the steering felt similar, but I didn't try them back-to-back and they were both 2012 models, so I hesitate to draw any conclusions about it.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:30 AM

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
Quote:
Fact is, Xdrive without DHP is the softest setup and has the increased ride height.

Your best F30 experience will come from:

RWD 704 Sports or M Sport
RWD any line with DHP
RWD with optional MPerformance suspension, but this will be impossible to find at a dealer

If Xdrive is a must, then so is DHP.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: 6mt, for sale 9/14

'06 Saab 9-5 wagon 5mt TUNED

Last edited by Jamesonsviggen; 09-24-2013 at 07:35 AM.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i X
Quote:

I've been trying to test drive a car with DHP just to see the difference. Very hard to come by. I'm mostly happy with how our 335X drives without the DHP particularly after driving a 535i X that also didn't have DHP. *That* was a boat, ours, not so much.

ok, delete this whole thing because as was said earlier, he doesn't really want X drive. (But the 535iX without DHP still felt boat`ish).

Last edited by Quinn Lasser; 09-24-2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535Xi, 2006 X3 (wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgray View Post
..... xDrive: Softest Suspension 10 MM higher from standard .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post
Fact is, Xdrive without DHP is the softest setup and has the increased ride height .....
Do you have a reference for stating the xDrive is 10mm higher than standard? I understand that xDrive is not lowered 10mm like a RWD with sport suspension, but I do not recall seeing any information from BMW that an F30 xDrive's ride height is any different from standard / RWD without sport suspension. IIRC the ride height of an E90 xDrive was higher than standard, but that is a different car.

Thanks
Bruce
Old 09-24-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOmega View Post
Do you have a reference for stating the xDrive is 10mm higher than standard? I understand that xDrive is not lowered 10mm like a RWD with sport suspension, but I do not recall seeing any information from BMW that an F30 xDrive's ride height is any different from standard / RWD without sport suspension. IIRC the ride height of an E90 xDrive was higher than standard, but that is a different car.

Thanks
Bruce
Xdrive Sport/MSport is 10mm higher than RWD Sport/MSport. Source is BMW. Basically you are paying for lines which include the sport suspension but it gets deleted for Xdrive without a credit/reduction in the cost of the two lines. Kind of getting screwed there.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list

Old 09-24-2013, 09:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i and 2014 X3 35i
Quote:
I can't say how bad or good the 335 x-drive is because never test drove one. But from what many owners have been saying in here that didn't get the adaptive suspension, its a dog compared to previous 3-series BMWs when it comes to handling and road feel.

If you don't care about AWD then do yourself a favor and just look at my build. That is exactly what you should get. Maybe throw premium if you want the leather seats (I opted our because i like to take my dog).

Every other options you put on it will be for looks or in the case of the HUD for the wow factor. As for the M-sport suspension, I notice people have been praising it to high heaven but honestly I find myself asking how many of those people have it since its not something that is well advertised or from what I understand installed at the factory.

And why would you need it (unless you track the car), because the DHP does a great job in all other instances.

2013 335i Sportline | M-adaptive | HK | NAV | PDC | Heated Front seats |6-speed MT.

2011 X5 35d Great SUV gone

2009 C350 Mercedes Gone 7-31-2012, good car but boooooooooring.

2008 X5 4.8i - Turned in 1/24/11 They created the Lemon law because of this SUV.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsor027 View Post
I can't say how bad or good the 335 x-drive is because never test drove one. But from what many owners have been saying in here that didn't get the adaptive suspension, its a dog compared to previous 3-series BMWs when it comes to handling and road feel.

If you don't care about AWD then do yourself a favor and just look at my build. That is exactly what you should get. Maybe throw premium if you want the leather seats (I opted our because i like to take my dog).

Every other options you put on it will be for looks or in the case of the HUD for the wow factor. As for the M-sport suspension, I notice people have been praising it to high heaven but honestly I find myself asking how many of those people have it since its not something that is well advertised or from what I understand installed at the factory.

And why would you need it (unless you track the car), because the DHP does a great job in all other instances.
Careful not to cause confusion, the MPerformance suspension is what I think you mean. The Msport suspension is the standard 704 setup on RWD Sport/MSport. The MPerformance is the dealer/port installed option that is the stiffest mechanical offering.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:37 AM
Donkeybike?

Mein Auto: HP2Sport - R1200GS - F30
Quote:
Quote:
You never stated which E46 you are currently driving. Suspension and steering 'feel' is subjective and of course, subject to different interpretations based on what you are used to. What one person says is better may be worse for someone else.

Based on my experience my F30 feels smoother, softer and more refined than my E46 but performance is markedly improved. Which is better?
Old 09-24-2013, 09:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport - 6MT
I have a 2013 335 RWD Sport w/DHP and 6MT.

The car performs very well in all conditions. The 6MT is my favorite feature.

The steering could be tighter, but other than that, a very nice driving machine.

As a comparison, the wife drives an E92 328 M-Sport with 6 speed auto. The steering is noticeably tighter on the E92 and the M Sport wheel is better than the F30 sport wheel.

However, I will always drive the F30 when I have the choice between the two cars.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i and 2014 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post
Careful not to cause confusion, the MPerformance suspension is what I think you mean. The Msport suspension is the standard 704 setup on RWD Sport/MSport. The MPerformance is the dealer/port installed option that is the stiffest mechanical offering.
Thank you I stand corrected. And like you said this is not factory installed but dealer/port installed.

2013 335i Sportline | M-adaptive | HK | NAV | PDC | Heated Front seats |6-speed MT.

2011 X5 35d Great SUV gone

2009 C350 Mercedes Gone 7-31-2012, good car but boooooooooring.

2008 X5 4.8i - Turned in 1/24/11 They created the Lemon law because of this SUV.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:20 AM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Drive an F30 and F10 back to back - betcha your takeaway will focus on the sense of weight of each. The F30 is endowed with a lissome quality while a pervasive sense of heaviness defines the F10 experience. At times I feel that my 328xi Sport-line embodies the spirit of my retired but memorable E39 525.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:02 AM
328i xDrive Commuter

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOmega View Post

Thanks
Bruce
Go to the BMW website, 3-series specifications page:

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...fications.aspx

Height of vehicle is 56.3" with footnote #4: xDrive models: 56.5 inches , 0.2" or about 10 mm.
Did not find the Sport or M-sport lowering specs but it is referred to as a 704 Sport Suspension.

2013 328i xDrive / 8-Speed / Imperial Blue / Everest Grey / Sport Package / Premium Package / Tech Package / Heated Seats
Old 09-24-2013, 12:14 PM
Novice driver

Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
The F30 is endowed with a lissome quality...
Excellent application of the adjective lissome! This is precisely the characteristic exuded by the F30 320i I drove for the first time last month as part of European Delivery.

The car is equipped with RWD, staggered width summer UHP tires (Bridgestone Potenza S001) and the 704 Sport Suspension.