Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:36 AM

Mein Auto: 13' 335
Sport 8 speed AT transmission reset

The transmission reset procedure that says to
1. Turn car on not engine just so all components in the car are on
2. Press and HOLD gas pedal for 30 seconds
3. WITHOUT RELEASING THE GAS PEDAL, push the START Button to turn car off
4. Release gas pedal
5. Wait full 2 minutes
6. Start car

Is this something that will actually work on a 2013 f30 model and what exactly is it doing
Ads by Google
Old 09-23-2013, 10:28 AM

Does this actually rest your transmission or is it a myth?
Old 09-23-2013, 12:44 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Sounds like a viable process to reset throttle adaptations but probably doesn't mess too much with tranny. If anything, it might reset the factory shifting to default to begin adaptation again. In my previous MB, I used a similar procedure to reset the throttle every few weeks but it was a 6MT so it didnt affect the shifting. Try it out and see if it works. Doubt it will hurt anything .
Old 09-23-2013, 07:00 PM
BMW New Guy

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
I know this was the exact same procedure on my '09 Jetta to reset the throttle calibrations. So I doubt it directly affects the AT.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:10 PM

Greywolf328i how do you like your car? Is it your first BMW? Reason I ask is because I just got my first one 13 335i Xdrive sport line with the sport 8 speed AT transmission and I don't know if every BMW has this trait but when you let off the gas and allow the car to come to a rolling stop while downshifting when it goes from 3rd to 2nd the car slows down noticeably and when it goes from 2nd to 1st you kind of feel a little bit if a jolt or slight jerk I just got the car it has about 250 miles on it
Old 09-23-2013, 09:52 PM
BMW New Guy

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianC86 View Post
Greywolf328i how do you like your car? Is it your first BMW? Reason I ask is because I just got my first one 13 335i Xdrive sport line with the sport 8 speed AT transmission and I don't know if every BMW has this trait but when you let off the gas and allow the car to come to a rolling stop while downshifting when it goes from 3rd to 2nd the car slows down noticeably and when it goes from 2nd to 1st you kind of feel a little bit if a jolt or slight jerk I just got the car it has about 250 miles on it
I love mine, but of course it's not a perfect car. I do know the issue your describing. The converter unlocking is the most likely cause of the sudden jerk. I stay in comfort mode most of the time, and it definitely is milder in that mode. It seems the Sport or Sport+ modes make this somewhat harsher. However, knowing the advantages of this hybrid type transmission, it is well worth it. My car has 750 miles on it now, and it seems the jolt has become more subtle than when I first got it. This is my first BMW, but I can honestly say this is one of the best automatics out there.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:00 AM
328i xDrive Commuter

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianC86 View Post
One of the things I like about the BMW 8-speed is the way it shifts down quickly to keep the RPMs up. You never know when you will need to hit the accelerator, the quick downshifts give you power available quicker because it keeps the engine in power range! It feels closer to a manual transmission. I also believe that the F30 has brake regeneration that charges the battery during braking process and this contributes to the braking effect. My last car, an Acura TL, when you let off the gas, it felt as the trans disconnected and you would coast like you were detached. That being said, it should not be a harsh downshift.

2013 328i xDrive / 8-Speed / Imperial Blue / Everest Grey / Sport Package / Premium Package / Tech Package / Heated Seats
Old 09-24-2013, 07:10 AM

Kpgray I love the transmission in all modes the car feels amazing the only issues I was having is that when you let off the gas and allow the car to come to a rolling stop as the car downshifts from 3rd to 2nd you get some engine breaking you feel the car slow down noticeably and when it shifts from 2nd to 1st you feel it again I don't know if you experience this at all but I have been doing some research on this and reading a lot of forums and it seems like many people have this same issue some say that it gets somewhat smoother as you break the car in more some say that it completely goes away others say they still feel it I have been getting a lot more comfortable wit the way the car operates now and I barely notice it myself anymore I was just worried that there could be something wrong with my tranny.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:14 AM

Greywolf328i I couldn't agree with you more I love the car and the transmission I have had it for a week now and I love driving it I just had the one small issue with it so I was worried that my tranny could be messed up but like I said I have been reading many forums and started many of them on this problem and it seems to me that a lot of people also have noticed this but as I am getting more comfortable with the car I have learnt how to better operate the car I just hope that this is not something that can cause any long term damage to the car because I purchased it.