Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-22-2013, 04:43 PM
JulianC86 JulianC86 is offline
Registered User
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 50
Mein Auto: 13' 335
Transmission jerks when downshifting from 1st to 2nd

I just got a new 2013 335i xdrive with Sports AT 8speed and I've put about 200 miles on it and I was wondering if it was normal no matter what mode you are in that when you let off the gas and allow the car to roll to a stop as the car downshifts from 2nd to 3rd you feel the car dramatically slow down then when it shifts from 2nd to 1st the car jerks or jolts a very rough shift as if the car stops and goes has anyone experienced this at all I'm not sure if this is a normal thing or if I should be making an appointment to the dealer
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 09-22-2013, 04:53 PM
terryn terryn is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 218
Mein Auto: 2013 328xi Sport line
yes, mine does that too. One of the things I don't like about the sports AT. As you slow to a stop you get these back surges and the car downshifts. It's worse because you are not initiating it and don't know when to expect it.
__________________

2013 328xi Sport / DHP / Sport AT / Premium Pkg / Technology Pkg / Lighting Pkg / HK / Alpine White / Black leather / Gloss black trim / Heated front seats
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-22-2013, 05:01 PM
JulianC86 JulianC86 is offline
Registered User
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 50
Mein Auto: 13' 335
Exactly I thought it was just me but I live in a very highly populated area a lot of stop and go traffic a lot of lights so in all my other automatic cars I was use to letting off the gas and just allowing the car to roll to a stop without noticing the downshifting when I received my car this week I noticed it right away so at first I thought it just needed some breaking in but now 200 miles later it still continues to feel like you lose so much power from 2nd to 3rd and from 2nd to 1st you get that little jerk or jolt. Do you know if this is an issue or it is just something that all the 8speed SAT transmissions do??? How long have you had your car and been noticing this ??
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-22-2013, 05:13 PM
terryn terryn is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 218
Mein Auto: 2013 328xi Sport line
It's always done it and I have about 3000 miles on it now. I made the assumption after reading that the torque converter is locked above 10mph that that is why you feel the downshifts with this AT and not with others, but I could be wrong.

So I assumed this was the downside of a tight AT.
__________________

2013 328xi Sport / DHP / Sport AT / Premium Pkg / Technology Pkg / Lighting Pkg / HK / Alpine White / Black leather / Gloss black trim / Heated front seats
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-22-2013, 05:26 PM
JulianC86 JulianC86 is offline
Registered User
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 50
Mein Auto: 13' 335
Damn I guess I have no choice but to get use to this cause besides that I love the car. Did you by any chance bring this up to the dealer? Cause I did some research and I found two common possible fixes one which was resetting the transmission memory by holding following short step by step process and the other was that there is a supposed software update for the transmission...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-22-2013, 06:05 PM
SanDiegoBMW328i SanDiegoBMW328i is offline
Registered User
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 47
Mein Auto: 328i
This happened on my 328i but now that I have about 3500 miles on it things have smoothed out considerably. Happened also on the loaner car.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-22-2013, 06:16 PM
Bret_T Bret_T is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Georgia
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 312
Mein Auto: '14 435i & '03 S2000
Interesting. I would have thought that if BMW was going to have the car shift from 2nd to 1st at higher rpm's, they would have setup the car to automatically rev match. It seems like it would be easy to do and would eliminate this issue.
__________________
Rights are inherent. If one's ability to do something depends on the government confiscating the fruits of another's labor, it's not a right. It's socialism.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-22-2013, 09:13 PM
terryn terryn is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 218
Mein Auto: 2013 328xi Sport line
I did not bring it up with the dealer. I had it in a few weeks ago and raised somethings that bothered me a lot more, none of which they fixed.

1. I am getting 20 mpg. This is a tough one since they can just claim its my driving style. I don't baby it, but I don't constantly beat it. I was getting 24 mpg in my prior A4, same driver style, and it had lower mpg specs. Sucks.
2. I get a clunking, bobble sound in the front suspension when I hit bumps that put quick repeated stress on the shocks. To me it sounds, and feels, like a loose control arm. Dealer says nothing is loose. I hate it. It ruins the driving feel of the car when it happens.
__________________

2013 328xi Sport / DHP / Sport AT / Premium Pkg / Technology Pkg / Lighting Pkg / HK / Alpine White / Black leather / Gloss black trim / Heated front seats
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-22-2013, 11:04 PM
LarryboysUDM's Avatar
LarryboysUDM LarryboysUDM is offline
Apay Kapoy
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 599
Mein Auto: 13 335i 02RSX5MT 06ML350
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianC86 View Post
I just got a new 2013 335i xdrive with Sports AT 8speed and I've put about 200 miles on it and I was wondering if it was normal no matter what mode you are in that when you let off the gas and allow the car to roll to a stop as the car downshifts from 2nd to 3rd you feel the car dramatically slow down then when it shifts from 2nd to 1st the car jerks or jolts a very rough shift as if the car stops and goes has anyone experienced this at all I'm not sure if this is a normal thing or if I should be making an appointment to the dealer
Barely noticeable in Comfort. Noticeable in Sport DHP but I would not describe it as a jerk/jolt.
__________________
My 1st BMW-bought fr inbound inventory: Munich 2013 F30 335i, RWD, Alpine White, Black Leather, M-Sport Line/Pkg, Dynamic Handling Pkg, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, 403M (Potenza S001 RFT 225/40, 255/35 R19), Sport auto w/paddle shifters, Heated front seats, Harman Kardon, Aluminum Hex Trim matte EB accent, Anthracite headliner
Std: Xenon Adaptive Headlights/Sunroof/Alarm
Mods: Tint/DIY lower intake grill guard/ASS recoded
28K mi Dec14
Hergestellt in Deutschland
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-22-2013, 11:22 PM
JulianC86 JulianC86 is offline
Registered User
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 50
Mein Auto: 13' 335
LarryboysUDM how would you describe it what are your symptoms?? This is my first BMW as well and I just want to find out if this is normal or something I should be worried about cause like I said I driven many different automatic cars that don't react this way when rolling to a stop shifting thru its gears
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-22-2013, 11:23 PM
SanDiegoBMW328i SanDiegoBMW328i is offline
Registered User
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 47
Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryn View Post
I did not bring it up with the dealer. I had it in a few weeks ago and raised somethings that bothered me a lot more, none of which they fixed.

1. I am getting 20 mpg. This is a tough one since they can just claim its my driving style. I don't baby it, but I don't constantly beat it. I was getting 24 mpg in my prior A4, same driver style, and it had lower mpg specs. Sucks.
2. I get a clunking, bobble sound in the front suspension when I hit bumps that put quick repeated stress on the shocks. To me it sounds, and feels, like a loose control arm. Dealer says nothing is loose. I hate it. It ruins the driving feel of the car when it happens.
20 mpg per trip or overall?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-23-2013, 05:21 AM
terryn terryn is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 218
Mein Auto: 2013 328xi Sport line
I am not getting jerking. All I feel is a very noticeable slowing of the car as it downshifts
__________________

2013 328xi Sport / DHP / Sport AT / Premium Pkg / Technology Pkg / Lighting Pkg / HK / Alpine White / Black leather / Gloss black trim / Heated front seats
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-23-2013, 05:24 AM
terryn terryn is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 218
Mein Auto: 2013 328xi Sport line
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoBMW328i View Post
20 mpg per trip or overall?
20 mpg is the average I see per tank. Best I got was 24 one tank where it was mostly highway and driving like my mom. That is still way below the stated 33 highway. One average I am not even making the city spec, even when I do about half highway and half city.
__________________

2013 328xi Sport / DHP / Sport AT / Premium Pkg / Technology Pkg / Lighting Pkg / HK / Alpine White / Black leather / Gloss black trim / Heated front seats
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-23-2013, 05:53 AM
SanDiegoBMW328i SanDiegoBMW328i is offline
Registered User
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 47
Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryn View Post
20 mpg is the average I see per tank. Best I got was 24 one tank where it was mostly highway and driving like my mom. That is still way below the stated 33 highway. One average I am not even making the city spec, even when I do about half highway and half city.
24 per tank (that is your combined number) is different than per highway. Per tank is both highway and city. Reset your trip computer, put it in Eco mode and let us now what you get on a Typical trip. Also you would have to drive in Eco mode for the entire tank. Also keep your rom below 3000 if you can which goes for accelerating also.

I routinely get 33 mpg on my 22 mile commute to work which is mostly highway. I use 89 octane gas and drive in comfort mode.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-23-2013, 07:10 AM
terryn terryn is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 218
Mein Auto: 2013 328xi Sport line
No, my combined number is about 20. My highway number, in comfort mode, is 24. I can accept not getting 33 on the highway if not in Eco mode, but I should be getting better than 24 on the highway in comfort mode.
__________________

2013 328xi Sport / DHP / Sport AT / Premium Pkg / Technology Pkg / Lighting Pkg / HK / Alpine White / Black leather / Gloss black trim / Heated front seats
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-23-2013, 07:20 AM
Dr. 328xi's Avatar
Dr. 328xi Dr. 328xi is offline
xDriver
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 512
Mein Auto: 2013 328xi Sport Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoBMW328i View Post
24 per tank (that is your combined number) is different than per highway. Per tank is both highway and city. Reset your trip computer, put it in Eco mode and let us now what you get on a Typical trip. Also you would have to drive in Eco mode for the entire tank. Also keep your rom below 3000 if you can which goes for accelerating also.

I routinely get 33 mpg on my 22 mile commute to work which is mostly highway. I use 89 octane gas and drive in comfort mode.
This is why the mpg ratings for this car end up being artificial and difficult to replicate. I drive in comfort about 70% of the time and sport 30%, 90% city and 10% highway. I'm averaging 24mpg over the first 1600 miles on the car. Not bad, but like the poster above, not better than my old Audi, which was rated lower.

BMW uses the eco mode to create unrealistically high numbers that don't allow people to use the car as it was intended. They sell a car based on driving dynamics and performance combined with fuel economy, but fail to tell you that you can only really achieve performance or fuel economy, not both at the same time.

I'm not really complaining...people buying $50k cars probably aren't super concerned about an extra few bucks at the pump. I just find it interesting that they push the fuel economy numbers based on eco mode, even though i imagine less than 10% of BMW drivers use eco mode regularly.
__________________

| 2013 BMW xDrive | Sport Line | Sapphire Black | Dakota Black/Red Leather |
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-23-2013, 07:21 AM
rawlsfwqq rawlsfwqq is offline
Registered User
Location: Stonewood
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 4
Send a message via ICQ to rawlsfwqq
Mein Auto: 2002 Nissan Pickup
I do have my own preferences.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-23-2013, 07:22 AM
SanDiegoBMW328i SanDiegoBMW328i is offline
Registered User
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 47
Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryn View Post
No, my combined number is about 20. My highway number, in comfort mode, is 24. I can accept not getting 33 on the highway if not in Eco mode, but I should be getting better than 24 on the highway in comfort mode.
This is impossible - set your display to monitor MPG in real time and I am sure when you are on the highway it will be in excess of 40 mpg. Also look at the bar graph indicator below the tach (shows real time MPG).
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-23-2013, 07:24 AM
SanDiegoBMW328i SanDiegoBMW328i is offline
Registered User
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 47
Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. 328xi View Post
This is why the mpg ratings for this car end up being artificial and difficult to replicate. I drive in comfort about 70% of the time and sport 30%, 90% city and 10% highway. I'm averaging 24mpg over the first 1600 miles on the car. Not bad, but like the poster above, not better than my old Audi, which was rated lower.

BMW uses the eco mode to create unrealistically high numbers that don't allow people to use the car as it was intended. They sell a car based on driving dynamics and performance combined with fuel economy, but fail to tell you that you can only really achieve performance or fuel economy, not both at the same time.

I'm not really complaining...people buying $50k cars probably aren't super concerned about an extra few bucks at the pump. I just find it interesting that they push the fuel economy numbers based on eco mode, even though i imagine less than 10% of BMW drivers use eco mode regularly.
As do I. Sport and comfort about 50/50. Getting exactly as spec'd - 26 MPG (33 highway, 23 city). Drive around San Diego - very hilly.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-23-2013, 09:53 AM
Jokerswld34 Jokerswld34 is offline
Registered User
Location: Massachusetts
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 61
Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryn View Post
I did not bring it up with the dealer. I had it in a few weeks ago and raised somethings that bothered me a lot more, none of which they fixed.

1. I am getting 20 mpg. This is a tough one since they can just claim its my driving style. I don't baby it, but I don't constantly beat it. I was getting 24 mpg in my prior A4, same driver style, and it had lower mpg specs. Sucks.
2. I get a clunking, bobble sound in the front suspension when I hit bumps that put quick repeated stress on the shocks. To me it sounds, and feels, like a loose control arm. Dealer says nothing is loose. I hate it. It ruins the driving feel of the car when it happens.
That bobble clunking sound is probably a bad steering rack. Ive had the same problem and am currently waiting for a new rack to arrive at the dealer. I thought it was a bad sway bar bushing or strut top mount at first, but dealer verified everything was tight.

To test this theory, open your hood and open the driver door in a quiet area. stand outside the car with the ignition off and grab your steering wheel. Turn it back and forth with some light force and see if a) it has significant movement while supposed to be locked and b) you hear a clunking sound from the engine bay. if you do, go the dealer and perform same test with your SA and tech present. They will most likely contact the regional BMW rep and open a PUMA case for a new rack for you. I did this and within 10 minutes the new rack was on order. hope it helps

As for the mpg, that is very low if your engine has had time to break in. I would monitor your stats on your iDrive efficient dynamics chart and try driving very moderately for a few days to maximize mgp. Take some photos of graph at different interval lengths as you drive and share them with your SA. Im sure they will see if there's a huge discrepancy in mpg by doing that. You should be seeing at least 28-30 mpg highway if not more (although you have x drive so it might suffer slightly). My 328i m sport gets 34+ on the highway in comfort/eco at 75 mph all the time

Last edited by Jokerswld34; 09-23-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-23-2013, 04:53 PM
terryn terryn is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 218
Mein Auto: 2013 328xi Sport line
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerswld34 View Post
That bobble clunking sound is probably a bad steering rack. Ive had the same problem and am currently waiting for a new rack to arrive at the dealer. I thought it was a bad sway bar bushing or strut top mount at first, but dealer verified everything was tight.

To test this theory, open your hood and open the driver door in a quiet area. stand outside the car with the ignition off and grab your steering wheel. Turn it back and forth with some light force and see if a) it has significant movement while supposed to be locked and b) you hear a clunking sound from the engine bay. if you do, go the dealer and perform same test with your SA and tech present. They will most likely contact the regional BMW rep and open a PUMA case for a new rack for you. I did this and within 10 minutes the new rack was on order. hope it helps

As for the mpg, that is very low if your engine has had time to break in. I would monitor your stats on your iDrive efficient dynamics chart and try driving very moderately for a few days to maximize mgp. Take some photos of graph at different interval lengths as you drive and share them with your SA. Im sure they will see if there's a huge discrepancy in mpg by doing that. You should be seeing at least 28-30 mpg highway if not more (although you have x drive so it might suffer slightly). My 328i m sport gets 34+ on the highway in comfort/eco at 75 mph all the time
thanks, will give it a try, had not thought of the steering rack
__________________

2013 328xi Sport / DHP / Sport AT / Premium Pkg / Technology Pkg / Lighting Pkg / HK / Alpine White / Black leather / Gloss black trim / Heated front seats
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-23-2013, 09:44 PM
LarryboysUDM's Avatar
LarryboysUDM LarryboysUDM is offline
Apay Kapoy
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 599
Mein Auto: 13 335i 02RSX5MT 06ML350
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianC86 View Post
LarryboysUDM how would you describe it what are your symptoms?? This is my first BMW as well and I just want to find out if this is normal or something I should be worried about cause like I said I driven many different automatic cars that don't react this way when rolling to a stop shifting thru its gears
I don't have any issue with the way my sport auto tranny works. When it's in Sport DHP, I like the way it downshifts (engine brake) at slow speed because I don't have to press on the brake too much or too long.
__________________
My 1st BMW-bought fr inbound inventory: Munich 2013 F30 335i, RWD, Alpine White, Black Leather, M-Sport Line/Pkg, Dynamic Handling Pkg, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, 403M (Potenza S001 RFT 225/40, 255/35 R19), Sport auto w/paddle shifters, Heated front seats, Harman Kardon, Aluminum Hex Trim matte EB accent, Anthracite headliner
Std: Xenon Adaptive Headlights/Sunroof/Alarm
Mods: Tint/DIY lower intake grill guard/ASS recoded
28K mi Dec14
Hergestellt in Deutschland
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-23-2013, 11:00 PM
greywolf328i greywolf328i is online now
BMW New Guy
Location: Eastern NC
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 332
Mein Auto: 2014 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. 328xi View Post
This is why the mpg ratings for this car end up being artificial and difficult to replicate. I drive in comfort about 70% of the time and sport 30%, 90% city and 10% highway. I'm averaging 24mpg over the first 1600 miles on the car. Not bad, but like the poster above, not better than my old Audi, which was rated lower.

BMW uses the eco mode to create unrealistically high numbers that don't allow people to use the car as it was intended. They sell a car based on driving dynamics and performance combined with fuel economy, but fail to tell you that you can only really achieve performance or fuel economy, not both at the same time.

I'm not really complaining...people buying $50k cars probably aren't super concerned about an extra few bucks at the pump. I just find it interesting that they push the fuel economy numbers based on eco mode, even though i imagine less than 10% of BMW drivers use eco mode regularly.
I'm currently averaging on my 2nd tank 30.4mpg. This is about 60/40 highway/city. To be honest, I've been staying in comfort mode exclusively for break-in, driving moderately. I definitely agree you will not achieve economy driving the car like it should be driven. But it's nice to know the car will do that kind of mileage if you need it to.
__________________
'14 328i Sport Line - Mineral Grey/Black-Red Dakota Tech/Lighting/Premium/HK -Sport Auto w/ paddles

Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-24-2013, 06:29 AM
gweeta gweeta is offline
Registered User
Location: New England
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 85
Mein Auto: 2013 328i
I have 8000 miles on my 2013 328i xDrive and downshifts have always been abrupt when slowing. I posted about this a while back. Near as I can figure most people don't have the issue (or don't notice it), but a fair number of us do.

Hasn't kept me from enjoying the car, although I do find it a bit annoying in a car this expensive.

Last edited by gweeta; 09-24-2013 at 06:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-24-2013, 08:21 AM
JulianC86 JulianC86 is offline
Registered User
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 50
Mein Auto: 13' 335
gweeta yea I myself have started a couple of forums on the issue and read many about it and it seems like a lot of people do and don't notice it but if you are like me you test everything the car has to offer I even found out the hard way that if your door is open and you have no seat belt on if you try and move the car it will automatically shift into park I did this like three time trying to pull out of a steep driveway when i let my foot of the brake and tried to accelerator the car felt like the breakers were being slammed on i did this three times before I read the NAV and noticed what was going on but back to the original post I noticed this shifting issue while i was driving around town and letting the car coast while it shifted from 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to first you felt that engine breaking some say it gets smoother others say it stays the same so we will have to see what happens by any chance did you bring this up to the dealer if so what was their answer to you
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms