Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 09-22-2013, 07:48 AM

Mein Auto: X3 35i
seat and other settings go away?

I have a 2014 X3 35i. I wonder if anyone has a good explanation of how the seat settings and other settings memory are stored and retrieved? I understand they are stored in the key fob when one locks the car, and then retrieved when you unlock the vehicle. But for me, I have lost one of the two seat settings several times, and other settings have gone away too. I expect it has something to do with how I am storing the settings in the two key fobs. My wife and I each have our own key fob, and we both want to use exactly the same settings, other than the seat settings. She uses seat memory 1 and I use seat memory 2. How do I set up the fobs in order to do this?

Thanks
Advertisement
Old 09-22-2013, 08:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X3 28i
As long as you and your wife do not mix up the keyfobs, the car will remember the the last settings when the car is switched off. You can also store personal profiles via iDrive and designate your name to the profile.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:35 AM

Mein Auto: X3 28i
If I recall correctly if you lock the car with the fob that will store the current settings to that fob. If you unlock with the fob then it will use those fob stored settings, so make sure to lock the doors with the right fob or comfort access if you have it. You can not assign an iDrive profile to a certain fob, which would be better in my mind. However, if you get in and the settings are wrong you can at least recall them from iDrive and then lock with the fob to transfer them over.
2014 X3 28i - Deep Sea Blue Metallic - Black 'Nevada' Leather - Brushed Aluminum - Cold Weather - Driver Assistance with Top View - Lighting - Premium - Technology - Satin Aluminum Roof rails - Rear manual side window shades
Old 09-24-2013, 08:24 AM
Is this thing on?

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironfan View Post
If I recall correctly if you lock the car with the fob that will store the current settings to that fob. If you unlock with the fob then it will use those fob stored settings, so make sure to lock the doors with the right fob or comfort access if you have it. You can not assign an iDrive profile to a certain fob, which would be better in my mind. However, if you get in and the settings are wrong you can at least recall them from iDrive and then lock with the fob to transfer them over.
Do you know if the seat position is supposed to begin moving to the FOB assigned settings once the unlock is emitted or the door is unlocked and then opened? When I unlock to drive with my FOB after my short wife has had the vehicle with her FOB, I must push seat memory button 1 to get my seat settings. This means I have to stand there and wait for several seconds as the seat moves to my long leg position. I would hope I have a setting wrong, and I can get the seat to begin moving at least once I open the door.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:49 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
This drives me crazy too. For example, wife and I went out last night. Got in car, set profile to mine thru I drive, got to store, locked car with my fob. Came out, unlocked with my fob....set to my wifes profile and positions. Reset thru idrive to my profile again, went to next store, locked with my fob, came back and unlocked with my fob....set to my settings. I must be doing something wrong, because it should not be this difficult to get it right.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Perhaps this will help you get the seat to adjust appropriately as you approach the vehicle:

First setup the seat position for one fob:

- go to MAIN MENU: SETTINGS: DOOR LOCKS
- Select LAST SEAT POSITION AUTOMATIC
- Get out, lock the door

Next, repeat the process with the second fob.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 xDrive35i
Key FOBS and Car Access System

rdvt4me,

I would ask your service folk. It was my understanding that using the fob to lock the vehicle following an i-drive profile selection associates the fob with that profile. Subsequently unlocking the vehicle with that fob (or via the door handle if you have the keyless entry) selects the profile last associated with the fob. So, I would expect that unlocking the car with your fob would have resulted in selection of your profile and all of your settings, not your wife's. Is it possible that she was very near and the vehicle read her fob rather than yours?

FWIW, the fob is part of the "car access system" and is referred to as the "identification trasmitter" in the BMW literature. It is detected by antennas in the vehicle interior. Presumably this is some sort of RFID-like system. The code stored in the fob must be read and must match the vehicle before the vehicle immobilizer, gearbox functions, and starting are enabled.

I think that the fobs contain several codes. One is a unique key code, recognized by your vehicle. All of the fobs for a particular vehicle share this code. It enables unlocking and starting. Each fob has another code (may be combined with the master code in some way) which uniquely identifies the fob. So, if you have 2 fobs, each has a unique identifier. That code is used to select the profile with which it is (or was last) associated and sets all of the values stored for that profile. The actual profile settings are stored in the Car Access System memory, not in the fob.

This is one of the reasons getting a new fob is a pain. A new fob must be "programmed" with the unique vehicle key code and a unique fob code.

More detail in the attached PDF.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 04_Car Access Systems.pdf (946.6 KB, 150 views)
Old 09-24-2013, 03:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3
From my experience, which fob locks the car is key. For example...wife was driving with her profile setting. When leaving the car, I locked with my fob instead of her digging the fob out of her purse (don't have comfort access unfortunately). Next time I went to drive the car, my fob activated wife's profile. Once you get the rhythm of the system, it's not too hard to keep things sorted out.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:52 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Coder,

Great explanation. My wife was with me at the time and she usually has her fob in her purse. I will experiment more over the weekend.

Wow, that attachement really has lots of info...thanks!

-Bob

Everyone else, thanks for the input. It's good to know I am not the only one having issues with this.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:43 AM
Is this thing on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coder View Post
rdvt4me,

I would ask your service folk. It was my understanding that using the fob to lock the vehicle following an i-drive profile selection associates the fob with that profile. Subsequently unlocking the vehicle with that fob (or via the door handle if you have the keyless entry) selects the profile last associated with the fob. So, I would expect that unlocking the car with your fob would have resulted in selection of your profile and all of your settings, not your wife's. Is it possible that she was very near and the vehicle read her fob rather than yours?

FWIW, the fob is part of the "car access system" and is referred to as the "identification trasmitter" in the BMW literature. It is detected by antennas in the vehicle interior. Presumably this is some sort of RFID-like system. The code stored in the fob must be read and must match the vehicle before the vehicle immobilizer, gearbox functions, and starting are enabled.

I think that the fobs contain several codes. One is a unique key code, recognized by your vehicle. All of the fobs for a particular vehicle share this code. It enables unlocking and starting. Each fob has another code (may be combined with the master code in some way) which uniquely identifies the fob. So, if you have 2 fobs, each has a unique identifier. That code is used to select the profile with which it is (or was last) associated and sets all of the values stored for that profile. The actual profile settings are stored in the Car Access System memory, not in the fob.

This is one of the reasons getting a new fob is a pain. A new fob must be "programmed" with the unique vehicle key code and a unique fob code.

More detail in the attached PDF.

I think you hit the nail on the head! With your input in mind, I went to the vehicle and found that each profile has it's own values for every setting. Therefore I have different settings for the same function than my wife has for the same function in her profile. This has now corrected our confusion. Thanks for your input.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:43 AM
Is this thing on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anfänger View Post
Perhaps this will help you get the seat to adjust appropriately as you approach the vehicle:

First setup the seat position for one fob:

- go to MAIN MENU: SETTINGS: DOOR LOCKS
- Select LAST SEAT POSITION AUTOMATIC
- Get out, lock the door

Next, repeat the process with the second fob.
Right on! This did the trick along with finally understanding how "Profiles" work for each driver and FOB. Thanks!