Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 Z4
Z4 Battery Charger dilemma, who's right?

Hey guys!

I am getting ready to store my 08 Z4 for the winter, and I need to get a battery charger. However, I've been told 2 different things as to which one is compatible with my 08 Z4.

My service rep says to get the - 82 11 0 026 663 (lighter adapter model), because it works better.

But when I called to see if it was in stock, my parts rep says that it's not compatible with my car, because my Z is too new, and that I have to get the battery charger w/cables that connects to the car's battery - 82 11 0 406 881.

So who's right? Does anyone else here with a 06-08 Z4 have/use the lighter adapter model?

In all honesty, it does not matter to me which one I get, just want the one that works the best. TIA!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
2008 Z4 - Beige int. w/Light Poplar Wood Trim, & M Heated Seats
Premium w/NAV, and Sport pck., Xenon & Headlight Washers
Hi-Fi/HDR & NAV iPod Interface
Advertisement
Old 10-28-2008, 02:22 PM
A Clean Windshield

Mein Auto: 2000 Imola M Coupe
I use a hard wired trickle charger just like the oem unit. It has clips or a second lead you can add to the battery connections with lugs.

If the parts list shows the clip model works that will be fine. Don't know why the lighter model doesn't show use on your car, maybe an interference thing in the interior.

i suggest to just go with the parts guys recommendation. both should work.

Dinan suspension, M rotors /Axxis pads
Eurosport Cam Kit 1, touch lane change
Zaino polish, Beach Sand
Garys mirror adapter, S54 Oil Cooler
seat tilt coupling nuts, spare tire

"life's to short to drink cheap beer"

Old 10-28-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob lindquist View Post
Don't know why the lighter model doesn't show use on your car, maybe an interference thing in the interior.

i suggest to just go with the parts guys recommendation. both should work.
Thx for your response Bob.

See that's part of the problem, when I go to the BMW USA site, and look for parts for my year/make/model etc., it shows both chargers being compatible. So I don't know who's right.

I do know that BMW USA site on parts is not always correct, because Ron & I ran into this issue awhile back with the iPod kit for our cars, and it showed the wrong part on the site.

So this is why I was hoping someone here with a newer Z4, knew which battery charger worked for the 08 Z.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:21 PM

Mein Auto: BMW '08 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerZ408 View Post
Thx for your response Bob.

See that's part of the problem, when I go to the BMW USA site, and look for parts for my year/make/model etc., it shows both chargers being compatible. So I don't know who's right.

I do know that BMW USA site on parts is not always correct, because Ron & I ran into this issue awhile back with the iPod kit for our cars, and it showed the wrong part on the site.

So this is why I was hoping someone here with a newer Z4, knew which battery charger worked for the 08 Z.
I'm assuming it is the same on your 08 Z4 as it is on my 08 535i. The Cig lighters are dead when the car is parked/off. No power out, no power in. Get the other type.

I got this one. I use the permanent connection for under the hood.

http://www.atbatt.com/product/6841.asp

dj
Dark Poplar
6 Sp Manual
Sport
Premium
Rear Shades

BMW CCA #392316
Old 10-28-2008, 03:23 PM
Warning - Thin Air

Mein Auto: 2002 M Roadster/2014 435i
Quote:
I am getting ready to store my 08 Z4 for the winter...
It Colorado!

You can drive it all year.

When it snows here it usually melts the next day.

I drive my MZ3 all year. I just try to keep it out of the snow, but I have driven in the snow a time or two.

2014 435i M-Sport, Mineral Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Driver Assistance Pkg, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, 8 Speed Sport AT, Heated Front Seats, Active Cruise Control, BMW Perf Tune w/MPE, BMW Limited Slip Diff, BBS CH Wheels.

2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:27 PM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally Posted by djfitter View Post
I'm assuming it is the same on your 08 Z4 as it is on my 08 535i. The Cig lighters are dead when the car is parked/off. No power out, no power in. Get the other type.
Cigar lighter doesn't go bye bye when the car is parked/off on my Z4.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4 Coupe 3.0si
That's funny that your service rep preferred the cigarette lighter unit, mine strongly preferred the alligator clip unit (which I used). I have since switched to the Deltran .75 amp unit (I know, there’s no rational reason to go with the lower power model, just personal preference ) and since it allowed for the use of an Extension cable (just more convenient for my set-up).
Old 10-28-2008, 03:48 PM

Mein Auto: '07 Imola Red ///M Coupé
I use the BMW Advanced Battery Charger with cig lighter lead (p/n 82-11-0-026-663), and it works perfectly fine for my '07 M. I haven't had any issues at all.

'07 Imola Red Coupé
Old 10-28-2008, 05:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 M Roadster
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hunter View Post
I use the BMW Advanced Battery Charger with cig lighter lead (p/n 82-11-0-026-663), and it works perfectly fine for my '07 M. I haven't had any issues at all.
+1 - works well. Learned the hard way last year why i need one of these.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to dwm Send a message via Yahoo to dwm
Mein Auto: 2002 M roadster
The cigar lighter model will work if your cigar lighter is connected to hot-at-all-times. Sounds like the Z4M is hot-at-all-times. Easy to check on any car.

For whatever reason, BMW isn't consistent about this across models. Some models have the cigar lighter hot-at-all-times, some don't. My M's is hot-at-all-times, but the one in the MINI is not.

I like the CTEK battery chargers if you want an alternative to the BMW models. CTEK 3300 is a very good maintenance charger. The 7000 is a little better since it has a desulphation cycle and a power supply mode. I have one of each and they both work very well.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:10 PM

Thx to all of you who posted, and for your help. Sounds like only the M version of the Z4 has power to the lighter socket when in off/parked mode, and I have a non-M. I will double check this tomorrow when I get a chance, but I am betting this to be the case.

Anyway, thx again for your help!

Old 10-28-2008, 09:26 PM
19,585 Miles

Quote:
Sounds like only the M version of the Z4 has power to the lighter socket when in off/parked mode, and I have a non-M.
Where did you come up with that?
Old 10-28-2008, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stygar View Post
Where did you come up with that?
Because so far everyone that has responded and uses it, has an M. Also, there has to be some reason my parts rep said it wouldn't work on my car, as the power to the lighter does not give or take once in off/parked mode.

To be honest Ron, I don't know. Which is why I posted and asked you guys, but I will check in the morning to see if I get power to the lighter when car is off - like the M's do.

The BMW USA site shows that this part will work (the lighter adapter charger), but as you & I both know - their site on parts for our cars is not always correct. The iPod kit being a good example.

Last edited by BimmerZ408; 10-28-2008 at 10:46 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:26 PM
19,585 Miles

Quote:
Because so far everyone that has responded and uses it, has an M. Also, there has to be some reason my parts rep said it wouldn't work on my car, as the power to the lighter does not give or take once in off/parked mode.

To be honest Ron, I don't know. Which is why I posted and asked you guys, but I will check in the morning to see if I get power to the lighter when car is off - like the M's do.

The BMW USA site shows that this part will work (the lighter adapter charger), but as you & I both know - their site on parts for our cars is not always correct. The iPod kit being a good example.
Why would they do the Z4 and not the M-Z4?
The BMW WDS electrical DVD shows them both as hot at all time (Fuse 5).

Let us know what you find out.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stygar View Post
Why would they do the Z4 and not the M-Z4?
The BMW WDS electrical DVD shows them both as hot at all time (Fuse 5).

Let us know what you find out.
I tested the lighter socket after the car was off for 30 mins, and tested the lighter (with car still off), and it worked just fine. So obviously both the Z4 & Z4M are the same (as far as the lighter socket), as you pointed out, with fuse 5.

There was much debate about this while I was there today to pick up the tender that plugs into the lighter socket, as my parts rep and the parts supervisor both said it wouldn't work.

This info comes from the parts catalog (published in 2007), for used BMW's. While they show this exact same part for Z4 in the Z4 catalog, as well as the BMW USA site - the used BMW car catalog says (in a somewhat misleading outline) that it works on the Z3 and older, with no mention of the Z4. This is why my parts rep was sure that it would not work on the Z4.

So my service rep called their engineering guy, to see if this part would also work on the Z4, he didn't see why it wouldn't. So final result, I bought it today, and will be testing it out next week when my baby goes into hibernation.

They said if it didn't work, that I could return the unit. But unless it's a defective unit, I think it will work just fine.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:51 AM
A Clean Windshield

Mein Auto: 2000 Imola M Coupe
Good Idea to buy one.

Dinan suspension, M rotors /Axxis pads
Eurosport Cam Kit 1, touch lane change
Zaino polish, Beach Sand
Garys mirror adapter, S54 Oil Cooler
seat tilt coupling nuts, spare tire

"life's to short to drink cheap beer"

Old 09-24-2013, 04:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si
I am relatively new here and I haven't seen in the FAQ that I shouldn't reply to old posts, so here goes:

I have a 2008 Z4 3.0SI A6 Roadster. I was looking into battery chargers (lighter socket vs. battery terminal) so I did some homework and can add some useful info to this thread. In my car, the lighter socket and gear lever indicator light (fluorescent red) stay LIVE for about 15 minutes after the car is shut off and you leave it and shut the door. After about 15 minutes, the lighter socket and that gear indicator light go DEAD unless you open a door, then they go live again until the door is shut again for another 15 minutes. So testing to see if your lighter socket is alive after you shut off the car is not a simple task. It will indeed be live for about 15 minutes but then will go dead. But opening the door to see if it is still alive will make it wake up again so do not be fooled by this and assume you have a live cig lighter socket indefinitely when the car is parked and off. I put down the top and plugged a cell phone charger (with red LED light) into the socket and shut the doors and walked away. The red LED light was still lit when I walked away from the car but sure enough, it was OUT about 15 minutes later when I checked on it WITHOUT opening a door. So I will make sure my battery-tender has battery terminal clipping capability.

HTH's everybody!
LoveBandit

Last edited by LoveBandit; 09-24-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:11 PM

Now I am not so sure. My stupid phone charger is REALLY sensitive to being pushed into the lighter socket correctly so maybe it just slipped out some and went off even though the socket stayed live. I will now proceed to close the doors and wait 15 minutes, then when the gear lever LED light goes out, I will climb over a door without opening it and test the cig lighter (my car has an actual lighter) and see if it gets hot. I will report back SOON....

LB
Old 09-24-2013, 05:29 PM

Well this is rather embarrassing but my first post was wrong. My lighter socket does stay ALIVE after 15 minutes with the key out and doors closed. My phone charger had slipped out enough so that the light went out which fooled me into thinking the socket had went dead. But the car lighter got hot so it must be alive...

As Roseanne Rosanadanna used to say on the OLD SNL...."nevermind". 8-/

LB
Old 09-24-2013, 07:12 PM
BMW CCA 1405

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 1.9 5MT
Cigarette lighters are always hot. For battery maintenance, you don't want a charger, or a trickle charger. You want a chipped, computerized intelligent battery tender-- the one from the dealer, or the Deltran Battery Tender. Because you don't want a constant trickle; you want the charger to cut off when it senses a full charge, and only come back on when needed.
http://batterytender.com
It does not matter where you connect it. I find the battery in the trunk is most inconvenient, the cigarette lighter the next inconvenient, and the terminal under the hood the most convenient.

Last edited by vintage42; 09-24-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:19 PM

I am hoping to go solar (since I have plenty of sun here and not a convenient outlet) and I was looking at this one:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006JO0TC/...productDetails

So I assume you would suggest I get this one instead:
http://batterytender.com/5-watt-solar-panel.html

TIA, LB.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:38 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 M (2007)
I got a CTEK MXS 5.0 and used the jump-start terminals under the hood (2006 Z4 M). You can leave it powered and connected to the car for the long periods of non-driving - it's an "intelligent" system that takes care of everything.