Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 09-24-2013, 12:04 PM
DoWorkBoston

Mein Auto: 325i
Opinions needed: x3 M Sport package or no?

I've narrowed down my vehicle search to two 2008 BMW x3s both with 48k miles but need your opinion on whether to go for the one with or without the M Sport package. The major differentiator, in my opinion, is the look of the body kit. The one I'm looking at with the sport package is only $1400 more than the one without sport--is it worth it? Is there any advantage to not getting the sport package (maybe more rugged with the plastic body kit)? I would very much appreciate any feedback.

Here are the side by side views:

Advertisement
Old 09-24-2013, 02:01 PM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto: 2009 X3
Re: Opinions needed: x3 M Sport package or no?

I have an 09 with the sport package. It comes with sport bucket seats, 19" wheels Pirellis, and sport suspension. Rougher ride from what I'm told, but I think it looks better with the sport package.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-24-2013, 02:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
I assume the one on the right is the Sport?
Old 09-24-2013, 02:18 PM
DoWorkBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangermouseX3 View Post
I assume the one on the right is the Sport?

Correct! Which do you prefer?
Old 09-24-2013, 02:25 PM
MT = Doppler Shifting

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 (MT)
I personally prefer the look of the Sport Package, which is mainly an appearance package but does also equip the vehicle with a stiffer (sport) suspension. Bear in mind that not all vehicles equipped with the Sport Package got staggered rims (18-inch front, 19-inch rear); mine has 18-inch rims all around.

I would suggest that the best way to decide between the two vehicles (aside from your preference for the styling) is to test drive both on the same roads (find at least one rough stretch), and determine if the ride of the stiffer sport suspension coupled with the feel of the sport seats is acceptable to you. Preferences for these things seem to vary quite a bit from owner to owner... I'm pretty sure the automobile value sources (e.g., Kelley Blue Book) do add in a 'delta' for the Sport Package, but I don't know the amount, off hand.

X3 w/6-speed & Sport Package:
A sports sedan disguised as an SUV...
Old 09-24-2013, 02:30 PM

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
I prefer the non-sport version. The sport I find just has too much paint, like i't been dipped in paint up to it's door handles. The non-sport breaks that up a bit with black plastic trim and vents.

Also the ride on the non-sport was better IMO, but the sport seats are better.

Seems like that sport has the Xenon lights though, and that would be a bigger pull for me than the looks, if one had better options.

There is a website where you can run the VIN and see the build sheet.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by output5151 View Post
Correct! Which do you prefer?
I have a black 07 non-sport btw.

I prefer the looks of the sport to mine and if it was a $0 choice I would go with the Sport. But personally I don't like it $1400 worth.

But I also find the ride on mine to be on the firm side, great at speed but too firm around town, so I wouldn't opt for the 19's even at even money, just for that reason.

Bottom line, I prefer the Sport version shown to look at, but I would buy the non-sport to daily drive, and spend the $1400 on something else.

My opinion only, obviously.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:26 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Sport or sport?

I just got my '08 with some kind of sport package. It has larger wheels and xenon headlamps but seats are regular, but leather . Ride is firm and it wants to go! I would have geared the 6 speed differently (less bottom, more top) and the ride is plenty firm. It also has running boards which makes a large difference appearance wise .
My suggestion: drive both go with the one your heart wants.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:10 PM

Mein Auto: X3 M-sport

I have a 2014 X3 m-sport. I needed the sport seats and they removed the sport package from the 14 model. The only way I could have those seats is the m-sport package.

Having put 7k miles on it in the first 4 months, I definitely like the sport suspension and the sport mode for the 5% of time I use it. Most of the time, I drive in Eco pro (congested city traffic) and comfort (highways)

Going back to your question. I believe going for sport vs non-sport is a matter of taste. Test drive both for approx 15-20 miles under real driving conditions and see if you notice any difference.

One definite must have feature in my book is Dynamic handling package. Once you drive a Bimmer with DHP, you can't go back.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:54 PM

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
You have a car from the future and you are posting in a thread for the E83? Eh?
Old 09-25-2013, 06:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0si
Have you driven both? The ride is very different from what I hear. You should see which you prefer.

Non-sport w/ optional 18in wheels here, and I find the ride to only be 'adequate' but I think thats an E83 thing in general. For aesthetics, hard to beat the M Sport, wish I had everything but the suspension I guess.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:55 AM
DoWorkBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by joylove View Post
I prefer the non-sport version. The sport I find just has too much paint, like i't been dipped in paint up to it's door handles. The non-sport breaks that up a bit with black plastic trim and vents.

Also the ride on the non-sport was better IMO, but the sport seats are better.

Seems like that sport has the Xenon lights though, and that would be a bigger pull for me than the looks, if one had better options.

There is a website where you can run the VIN and see the build sheet.
Can you direct me to the site you're talking about to look up VINs?
Old 09-25-2013, 09:49 AM

Mein Auto: 1988 325ix
http://www.bmwarchiv.de/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html is the best one I have found. Chrome will do a decent enough job of translating the page.

There's also a way to log in to the etk here: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/acc...catalogue.html . It's a bit convoluted though.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3.0si
I have an 07 with just the premium package and I've been driving the car really hard all summer and have never broken the tires loose yet on dry pavement. So far I've never felt the need for more traction or control, and yes even with just the standard suspension and basic 17" tires the ride is very firm.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:01 PM

Mein Auto: 1988 325ix
As far as I can tell, the only reason to get the M-Sport package is the nicer steering wheel. I really want that thicker wheel but not at the cost of the larger wheels/tires, the body color trim, and an even stiffer suspension. If it was me I would get the non m-sport one and keep that $1400 in my pocket, in fact I might even pay a premium to avoid the M-Sport package.

Best of luck in your buy,
Mike
Old 09-25-2013, 02:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0si Sport Pkg
Sport vs Non-sport

I own a 2007 M Sport with sport seats and staggered 19"s. From a drivers aspect the only way to go. However your choice should include riding in the rear seats. The ride there is significantly different than the front. Intolerable to some. So drive both and also assess the ride from the rear seats before making your decision.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: 1994 318is
I just bought an 07 M sport. i have 18's all the way around. i don't know what the standard suspension feels like but the sport is exceptional. Its a smooth and quiet ride but firm and controlled. i love the steering wheel, 18s look nice and are well proportioned to the rest of the body. I didn't care for the body panels, i like the matching paint. lastly the seats. Extra adjustability and support is worth every penny, especially on a long run when you want to change your seating position.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfitz63 View Post
....... Bear in mind that not all vehicles equipped with the Sport Package got staggered rims (18-inch front, 19-inch rear); mine has 18-inch rims all around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalicgreen318 View Post
I just bought an 07 M sport. i have 18's all the way around.

Just for the record, BMW's interpretation of a staggered setup is having wider tires (and rim width) on the rear, not different diam. rims.

So an E83 X3 came with one of the following:

17" wheels, same size tires on all 4 corners

18" wheels, same size tires on all 4 corners

18" wheels, wider tires on rear with 1" wider rim

And as already discussed, Sport, M-Sport and wheel/tire size options could be separate choices.

19" wheels, wider tires on rear with 1" wider rim
Old 10-13-2013, 10:15 AM

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
You WILL NOT regret getting the Sport package. BMW shouldn't even makes non sport models!!!!!
Old 10-13-2013, 10:56 AM

Mein Auto: X3, A6, Maxima, Jetta
I would get the sport for the seats alone!!
Old 10-14-2013, 07:05 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
I have the non sport with the 18" factory option. I have driven the sport version on many occasions and found (aside from the very uncomfortable sport seats -- for me) little if any difference in handling. Yes, the rough ride over terrible roads is probably a little worse, but it is bad enough in my "normal" E83 already. These are NOT the true M sport cars like the M3, M5 etc. and shouldn't be confused with them, since there is no engine or brake enhancement, and just a slightly stiffer suspension along with the interior bits. Be sure to take a long test drive in any "sport" version to see if you like the stiffer springs and sport seat. You will get virtually the same handling with the 18" option non sport as you do in the "sport" IMHO. It really is the tires and wheels that make any upgrade here in my view.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:03 AM
Marginal at best!

Mein Auto: 2008 X3 M-sport
Smile X3 m sport

My theory is if you're buying a BMW for the name get the non sport if you want to drive fast get the sport. I have a 2008 M Sport, that came with 19's I have upgraded to 20's with even wider tires handles great but it is a little stiff. The M Sport definitely looks better.

Last edited by udmx3; 10-27-2013 at 06:49 AM.