Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e30 325i
Help!! Lost my key

So yesterday I lost my only 1 key to my 1987 bmw 325. Today I got a replacement by the dealership, and it doesnt work.. not even the doors or trunk. So, is there a way to hot wire the car? Even to release the steering wheel. Will a push to start work? I need answers fast because its at my work and ill be getting a write up, then towed. Thank you

Sent from my SGH-T999 using BimmerApp mobile app

smokin, chokin, drinking, applauding, getting money.
Advertisement
Old 09-09-2013, 07:41 PM

Mein Auto: 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroboy424 View Post
So yesterday I lost my only 1 key to my 1987 bmw 325. Today I got a replacement by the dealership, and it doesnt work.. not even the doors or trunk. So, is there a way to hot wire the car? Even to release the steering wheel. Will a push to start work? I need answers fast because its at my work and ill be getting a write up, then towed. Thank you

Why did the keys from the dealership not work? Does it need to be programmed?

It might be cheaper for you to initiate the tow to a shop rather than have your work tow your car. At least you could pick the tow company rather than leaving it up to your employer.

Good luck!
Old 09-09-2013, 07:47 PM

Re: Help!! Lost my key

No, its old.. like a reg. Key

Old 09-10-2013, 04:47 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E30 318i 1991
Remove one of the locks from the door, glove box etc. and take it to a Locksmith to have a new key cut.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:58 AM

Mein Auto: 89 325i 2dr&DucatiMonster
Did you call the dealer and make sure they used the right vin when they cut your new key ? One number off is all it takes to make it totally wrong.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:43 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E30 318i 1991
What toybuilder said^^^^.

What happens sometimes though is the tumblers in the lock barrels wear down in conjunction with the old key that you have been using.
Now you have a brand new key cut according to the VIN specs but it will not work properly with the worn tumblers in the lock barrel.

You need to remove a lock barrel and insert your new key in it....ideally you should see that the brass tumblers are now nicely in a straight line so that the barrel can twist.

What you will probably see is that some of the brass tumblers are protuding and some are sunken so they do not form a smooth line.

If you carefully take apart he barrel you will see that there are about six flat brass pieces....they have numbers stamped on them and you need to make a note of the order in which these are placed eg. "5, 2, 6, 3, 1, 4" so you can then get them in the correct positions again.

The BMW dealer should be able to sell you these little numbered brass plates..purchase the correct numbered ones and insert them back in the tumbler in the correct order..spray some Q40 on the assembly and hopefully the brass sections now form a nice straight line.

Otherwise you can try leave in the original worn brass sections and carefully file off any protruding bits so that they line up in a nice straight line....you will have to do this with every lock barrel in the car.....this is what I had to do as could not get new BMW brass sections here in SA.!

Last edited by Billwill; 09-11-2013 at 01:47 AM.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:34 PM
Old School

Mein Auto: E23;E30;E38;E32;E34 +
I guess you are locked out at the moment. Get your Auto Club, AAA or whatever to get you in. You can remove the steering lock with simple tools even remote from your home shop. PM me. drive it home.
Previous:
E21 318i; E30 318i; E32 735iL; E34 535i; E38 730iL; E53 4.4i
Old 09-11-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFatherFigure View Post
I guess you are locked out at the moment. Get your Auto Club, AAA or whatever to get you in. You can remove the steering lock with simple tools even remote from your home shop. PM me. drive it home.
Getting in wasnt the problem, it was actually unlocked. Um.. I WAS SOOOOOO CLOSE TO SAYING FUHK IT, IMMA SELL IT. Thank goodness I didnt. Any who. I made a new key and doesnt even jiggle. Im debating if I should just jam a screw driver in it and pull it out for now and get a new one.? Theres no other better solution

Old 09-11-2013, 08:18 PM
livin large

Mein Auto: 2012 hypermotard 796
pull the lock barrel out and then use a screwdriver. that way you dont damage anything and could still drive the car
Old 09-11-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downhiller View Post
pull the lock barrel out and then use a screwdriver. that way you dont damage anything and could still drive the car
I would if I could but, in order to take out the barrel you need the key to turn once, right?. But key cant turn the ignition

Old 09-12-2013, 07:05 AM

This is gonna sound a little insane but take the new key and (use a fine file or emory board)file the sharp points a tiny bit just round them a little .Then try it if it still won't turn at all some thing is off ,they got the vin wrong or cut the key wrong or just made a mistake some how. At that point you need to remove a lock the glove box one is the easiest just a couple of screws ,then you can take it to the dealer or a locksmith and get a key that should work.Don't damage your steering lock and ignition lock unless you have to .It'll cost way more to fix the locks than having a key made, plus you'll still be then buying all new locks,because you can't lock your doors or trunk till you get your a copy of your old key .

Last edited by toybuilder; 09-12-2013 at 07:16 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:00 AM

Try getting some graphite power you should be able to get it at the auto parts store or hardware store.Squeeze a little down in the ignition and then try to wiggle it around and get it to turn .Once you get it turning the new key should cut the tumblers enough to make it work.If it opens the trunk your really close to making it work.PS don't worry about that smuck my wife is the same age as me 48 next week and she looses her keys every few months sometimes I have copies ,sometimes I haven't made one from the last time she lost them.Just be glad your not dealing with a Audi Allroad key.

Last edited by toybuilder; 09-13-2013 at 05:07 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toybuilder View Post
Try getting some graphite power you should be able to get it at the auto parts store or hardware store.Squeeze a little down in the ignition and then try to wiggle it around and get it to turn .Once you get it turning the new key should cut the tumblers enough to make it work.If it opens the trunk your really close to making it work.PS don't worry about that smuck my wife is the same age as me 48 next week and she looses her keys every few months sometimes I have copies ,sometimes I haven't made one from the last time she lost them.Just be glad your not dealing with a Audi Allroad key.
Thanks man, and I bought some for 2 bucks, cheap!
I squirted a fair amount and twisting.. no luck yet.. my only hope is the locksmith to come

Old 09-14-2013, 06:45 AM

You know what else I was working on my 325 yesterday and remembered that my 12yr old broke the spare key off in the lock off the Grand Marque ,she thought it was the key for the car and keep turning till it broke. So I'm guilty too I currently only have one key to that car. Though after all this I think I'll go get some copies today.LOL
Old 09-14-2013, 12:10 PM
Renaissance Dude

Mein Auto: 1987 325i, 410K
I'm lucky that my rig's PO supplied me with that little master thingy that has no larger part to twist so you're never tempted to use it as a key. Master only.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	396854  

Dreamers, misfits, malcontents, finding the world not to their liking imagine themselves ideally suited for the world as it ought to be. - anon

Last edited by cmac2012; 09-14-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:40 PM

That's a great idea .I know what I'll be doing when I get back in a while.One of the copies gonna meet my hack saw.Then get mounted to the peg board in the garage.I think I'll do it with all my cars except the Audi they 100+ for a copy and I get a "discount" as wholesale account .
Old 09-15-2013, 12:12 AM
Renaissance Dude

Mein Auto: 1987 325i, 410K
And another good idea. I like having one for the E30 but I never considered making my own with my other rigs but why not? Cheap insurance.

Dreamers, misfits, malcontents, finding the world not to their liking imagine themselves ideally suited for the world as it ought to be. - anon
Old 09-15-2013, 08:14 AM

Mein Auto: 1990 325i
My original key had the light in it and the plastic broke. So I got a copy without the light and keep the broken one in my wallet. It's saved my ass a few times.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:52 AM

Mein Auto: 1990 325is
I found a totally useless BMW key in my glove box that doesn't fit anything on my car. Maybe it's yours?

But seriously, I hope you find your way through this. I had one key break off in my driver's door but I still have two that work and I've been looking for a place that will cut keys and not give me useless ones. My car's PO must have had key problems, too.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:34 AM
Nick's Toys

Mein Auto: 323i E30 2-door
Luckily here we have German Master locksmiths
He changed all my locks to work on 1 key, as the PO had decided to do things cheap
I hate it when people don't do things properly & then create a hash-up