Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 07-25-2013, 03:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW M3 CONVERTIBLE
DSC from bad to worse

I have an '02 M3 and have had it since new. Still all stock. About a year ago, the DSC and flat tire monitor (FTM) lights both came on at the same time. Since then I have seen these 2 lights come on together about once every two months. The lights clear (go out) after I turn the car off and back on.

I took it to the shop and they told me a rotation rate sensor (yaw sensor) was bad. It was over $500 for the part alone so I decided not to get it replaced until I had a chance to research the issue.

A few weeks ago, I had a blowout on my left rear tire. The blowout was caused by excessive wear on the inner edge on the tire and the right one had the same wear and was ready to be replaced as well. (someone said my RTAB's were bad and caused the tires to wear like this).

I bought some larger than normal tires for the rear of the car
(275/40/19's) and had them mounted and put on the car. Very tight fit. These tires are 2 inches taller than the front tires (245/35/19's). Since then my car has really been acting up: Now the DSC and FTM lights come on a few times a day; the DSC light only flashes at times; and the front right ABS activated on its own when I wasn't even applying the brakes (scary).

Just curious if anyone else has seen anything similar to this.
Advertisement
Old 08-18-2013, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 M3 Convertible
Yes, I have a similar issue and posted a thread a while back.

I have a 2002 M3. The DSC and FTM lights will flash. While flashing, I get a pulsating feel from the ABS brakes. Then the lights stay on all of the time and the pulsating stops. To me it feels like the DSC system is getting a false reading and is trying to stabilize the vehicle. It usually only lasts for a few seconds. The pulsating stops, the lights stay on and the car drives normally. The DSC and FTM systems are disabled when the lights are on, however. This repeats itself when I turn the car off and set out again with the systems re-enabled. These symtoms have been intermitent. The last 4 or 5 outings in the car have not re-produced this.....

There are two sensors, one is located under the driver's seat and the other is in the front interior kick panel. I was waiting for something more difinitive on which one is causing the problem or if it is something else all together.

Still looking for the solution.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:59 AM

Mein Auto: E46 M3
Re: DSC from bad to worse

Try replacing the speed sensors. I know they aren't OEM, but I got all 4 on eBay for about $60 total. Not very expensive, really easy to do, because all you need is a 5mm allen wrench and a jack. Even easier if you take the wheels off. Never had the pulsating issue, but my DSC light was on. Replaced all 4, because better safe than sorry. DSC light was out before I made it out of the driveway.

Read up on what the speed sensors do, then find a DIY on a forum (or Youtube), and it should make more sense.