Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 09-26-2013, 08:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3
Wife rams painted metal ropes

I get these lovely pictures via text today informining me that my wife ran into some metal ropes in a parking garage today. Her excuse was that the parking sensors weren't going off. Of course, she was 'annoyed' when I was giving her the car tutorial and didn't hit the parking button by the shifter, so of course the sensors weren't going off since she was only pulling in.

Anyway - take a look at the attached pictures, does anybody with bodywork experience think I can have the attached fixed without replacing the bumper. The car has less than 500 miles on it!!

I love my wife, but dang it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	car 1.jpeg
Views:	264
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	398929   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6319.jpeg
Views:	248
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	398930  
Previous: '02 330i / MT / M-package / Premium -- will miss this near perfect car
Ads by Google
Old 09-26-2013, 09:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: x3 35i

Sorry to hear about your pain. It's time to trade in the wife for a newer model j.k.

I would say just buy some dr. Color chip and just paint over it if there is no crack or deep scratches. That's what I would do. I'm guessing the wife will drive it again and again and again and she isn't as crazy about the cars as we are.

Love the color and black grill! How long did it take u to install it?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-26-2013, 09:49 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
Unfortunately, in many respects, the engineering behind the BMW telematics is far superior to the engineering behind the wife's ability to focus. This is especially so on something her husband deems important but she doesn't, even though shes does not know enough about the subject of discussion to make an informed decision if she is ignoring something she really needs to know. I doubt there is a single married man that has not come to the same opinion. Interestingly, at least with respect to my wife, the ability to focus was lost the instant we said "I do".

I understand your pain and how frustrating that damage must be on a brand new car. My suggestion (from similar experience with damage to a new vehicle) is to just bite the bullet and get it fixed right. Very soon the cost of the repair will be nothing but history and you will not have an ugly scar to frustrate you every time you see your car.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
That bumper looks 100% repairable. As far as the steel cable, I am not sure if the sensors would have pick it up even if they were on. As far as the wife, since she doesnt care about your prize procession, I say you burn one of her Gucci bags or Louis Vuitton shoes

Last edited by The X Men; 09-26-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:04 AM
Living in Fast Forward

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW E63 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
That bumper looks 100% repairable. As far as the steel cable, I am not sure even if the sensors would have pick it up even if they were on. As far as the wife, since she doesnt care about your prize procession, I say you burn one of her Gucci bags or Louis Vuitton shoes
Haha, that sounds like a fair trade!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-26-2013, 11:39 AM

well, I found a guy that works for a BMW bodyshop through a friend that would repaint the entire bumper for me for a significant discount, but the only catch is I'd have to bring in the bumper removed from the car. Ouch. With the senors, fogs and washers, I have to imagine this to be a bear. I looked on this forum and found no DIY for this removal. Anybody here seen a DIY on front bumper removal?

Regarding the black grills - thanks! Its a subtle change, but I think the impact is huge removing the chrome. Was just a matter of figuring out how to remove the old ones. From there is took about 5 minutes to remove and pop in the new ones...
Previous: '02 330i / MT / M-package / Premium -- will miss this near perfect car

Last edited by docwoz; 09-26-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:34 PM

Removing and reinstalling a BMW front bumper cover is not a job for the novice, unless you are pretty good mechanically and willing to spend some time on this project, I would not attempt it yourself. I had a front bumper replace on my 535i, the body shop show me the bag of fasteners that came with the new bumper cover, it was quite a bit of hardware, a lot more than your typical Japanese or American car bumper cover.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Removing and reinstalling a BMW front bumper cover is not a job for the novice, unless you are pretty good mechanically and willing to spend some time on this project, I would not attempt it yourself. I had a front bumper replace on my 535i, the body shop show me the bag of fasteners that came with the new bumper cover, it was quite a bit of hardware, a lot more than your typical Japanese or American car bumper cover.
Thanks - I was looking through the DIYs on other models and completely agree. High chance of major screw ups! I think I'll have this guy look at it and see what he can do without removal and go from there. I need this fixed though

Regarding the poster who mentioned the senors may not have gone off because of the ropes, you may be right, but given the photographic evidenced where she grinded the rope on the senor, it should've gone off in this instance!
Old 09-26-2013, 01:04 PM

The damage is a bit above the sensors, depending on how thick the cables are, I am not sure if the cable have enough material to reflect the wave from the sensors.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:14 PM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Quote:
That bumper looks 100% repairable. As far as the steel cable, I am not sure if the sensors would have pick it up even if they were on. As far as the wife, since she doesnt care about your prize procession, I say you burn one of her Gucci bags or Louis Vuitton shoes
In which case you will not only have to pay to fix the car, you will have to pay to replace the shoes or the bag, or both.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 xDrive35i
My question is, did this happen after backing the car out or pressing the parking sensor/camera button next to the shifter (I don't remember what they call it)? The proximity sensors are only active after putting the car in reverse or when they are manually activated.

I feel your pain BTW, only I have no idea who to blame because I found some damage in the exact same spot after returning to my car. Some lame driver clearly needs to grow a sense of ethics and work on his/her parallel parking skills.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaX View Post
My question is, did this happen after backing the car out or pressing the parking sensor/camera button next to the shifter (I don't remember what they call it)? The proximity sensors are only active after putting the car in reverse or when they are manually activated.

I feel your pain BTW, only I have no idea who to blame because I found some damage in the exact same spot after returning to my car. Some lame driver clearly needs to grow a sense of ethics and work on his/her parallel parking skills.
It was pulling straight into a parking spot, so she was never in reverse, and since she didn't listen during my walkthrough of the car, she didn't manually engage the sensors. Those sensors are less than an inch in diameter - of course she would rub the wire directly on it! What are the odds...

I wish I didn't have someone to blame for this. My wife is 7 months pregnant. I calmly told her I had to go when she told me. I didn't want myself to get angry with her. The wrath of a pregnant women is severe - I suspect I would've seen some of those LV and Gucci bags on the next CC statement if I would've lost it!
Old 09-26-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwoz View Post
It was pulling straight into a parking spot, so she was never in reverse, and since she didn't listen during my walkthrough of the car, she didn't manually engage the sensors. Those sensors are less than an inch in diameter - of course she would rub the wire directly on it! What are the odds...

I wish I didn't have someone to blame for this. My wife is 7 months pregnant. I calmly told her I had to go when she told me. I didn't want myself to get angry with her. The wrath of a pregnant women is severe - I suspect I would've seen some of those LV and Gucci bags on the next CC statement if I would've lost it!
If the chain rub across the sensors, it would have went off had she turn the sensors on. Maybe that would have lessen the damage some what if she stop when it started beeping, but either way, the damage is done.
You did not tell us your wife is 7 months pregnant, her hormones are probably all over the place. Smart move backing off, there is one argument you can never win.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:30 PM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Pregnant women are protected from all wrongdoing. That is just the way it is.

18 years from now, if you have a kid who is into cars, you can relate this story, otherwise, pay the money, and keep your trap shut.

Trust me, my next anniversary is my fortieth.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamdog View Post
Pregnant women are protected from all wrongdoing. That is just the way it is.

18 years from now, if you have a kid who is into cars, you can relate this story, otherwise, pay the money, and keep your trap shut.

Trust me, my next anniversary is my fortieth.
Car and life advice - I love this forum! Thanks guys...
Old 09-26-2013, 06:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamdog View Post
pregnant women are protected from all wrongdoing. That is just the way it is.

+1
Old 09-26-2013, 07:22 PM

Mein Auto: 96Impreza,07Vette,11X335i
$700.00.
'11 BMW X3 35i, white
Old 09-28-2013, 06:44 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Money well spent -- to keep the wife happy!