Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E39 M5 (1998-2003)

E39 M5 (1998-2003)

Old 09-29-2013, 08:54 PM

Mein Auto: C
Bought an E39 M5

I purchased a 2000 M5.. 130k on the clock....per some advice on a few forums I budgeted about 2k off the bat for initial maintenance I might not be able to perform.

While inspecting the car I noticed a leak in the power steering reservoir/pump hose area. The rear diff also had a drop of oil on it. Vague description i know. Might need rear rotors or a wheel bearing.....nothing terribly difficult as I am a fairly capable DIY guy.

I test drove It for about 45 minutes In a mix of residential/highway and city. I made my offer getting the amount off the price for what I figured would go into it.

After owning it for a few days and getting brave I explored some of the power of this car.The motor feels very strong. Runs and idles just fine.Sounds awesome....Thursday I could tell there was some clutch slippage. After a few hours it was real clutch slippage...bad enough that as I was pulling into my neighbor hood it failed completely. In gear....clutch out.....no power to the wheels. I've been driving manuals for 25 years and ever saw a clutch go from (seemingly) fine to totally gone so quick. I'll know tomorrow what the repairs will be. The clutch is not something I want to try myself.

This winter I had planned on installing a full exhaust system on my sport bike (Ducati 1098 awesomeness!!) and a new exhaust system plus primary belt drive on my Harley.im going to put those funds to my newest toy. I also sold a couple of pistols and two rifles that were more or less gathering dust.All told I pulled together about 3500 plus have a guitar I can sell. Its a nice Gibson SG (i love toys!!)that i really suck at playing. The idea is to keep this a cash operation. This winter I can use the loot I was gonna throw at the bikes to fix any other problems.

The problems are...obviously.....Clutch (at the shop)...dsc/cruise....abs works dsc/cruise does not...might need the shop there as I haven't researched that much.

Things I can do....diff. Seal...Power steering hoses...Brakes...wheel bearing...the shop is inspecting a lot of stuff also....I have a Bentley manual and TIS on the way.

I've always wanted an M series BMW......I was looking at M3s and couldn't find the right one. When I saw and drove this car I was hooked.

I have built two HDs from boxes, wrench (within reason ) on all my own rides and have been a motorcycle enthusiast since riding my first trail 70! Ducatis are pricey to own and HD ain't cheap either. Both are fun to ride and wrench on.about all I won't do are engine/ tranny rebuilds.

I think that's all .....I'm exhausted from work and cross eyed from typing on this IPad. I'm real excited about this car....every time I looked in the garage I giggled like a little kid. I'm disappointed that the clutch cooked that quick but that's life....I totaled a nice Monster notto emotion banged myself up and never blamed the bike....

Sorry for the long post but thats the story. Questions...comments and advice is welcome.
Advertisement
Old 09-30-2013, 01:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW E39 M5
All the problems you mention are relatively common ones, although I've not heard of a clutch going bad so quickly.

The power steering hoses are a common weak point, they are not cheap to replace but it's not a hard job.

The diff seals leaking are also common, replace all three seals when you do the clutch as the exhaust and prop shaft have to come off for the clutch anyway. If you do the diff seals then replace the fluid with either the BMW/Castrol stuff with Friction Modifier or Royal Purple, don't just use regular Castrol without the FM. Also have a look at the rear main seal on the engine when the clutch is out, these can leak too which will reduce the life of the new clutch, best get it sorted while you're in there. If the dual mass fly wheel is the original then it will probably need doing too and it's not obvious when they need replacing just by looking at them.

Good luck and enjoy the car, they really are an amazing vehicle.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:13 AM

Mein Auto: E39 ///M5
Congrats on your purchase, I am currently in the market for one as well. I recently just sold my 3 series and looking to upgrade to something a little bigger. Always wanted a M as well. Would you mind telling us how much you spent? I have found a few local ones by me and they are in the 18-21k range but only have 50-60k miles on them.
Tuning Tech Tune by Frank Smith (http://www.tuningtechfs.com/)
Tuning Tech IAT Kit
Supersprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace
Storm Motorwerks Products

2006 X3 3.0i M-Sport | Silver Grey | Terracotta | AT | Navigation | Premium Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | AFE |
Old 09-30-2013, 06:06 AM

I paid 11k for the vehicle.it was quite difficult to find one locally. Locally....everything with less issues was a lot more and a lot farther away.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:09 AM

Mein Auto: E39 ///M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdmonster View Post
I paid 11k for the vehicle.it was quite difficult to find one locally. Locally....everything with less issues was a lot more and a lot farther away.
That's pretty cheap for an M5. Nice find, post some pictures!
Tuning Tech Tune by Frank Smith (http://www.tuningtechfs.com/)
Tuning Tech IAT Kit
Supersprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace
Storm Motorwerks Products

2006 X3 3.0i M-Sport | Silver Grey | Terracotta | AT | Navigation | Premium Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | AFE |
Old 09-30-2013, 06:46 AM

As soon as I get done running around ill post pics....have a different car to get a water pump in....another pro job unfortunately...requires the engine to be dropped and then a bunch of PM on my wifes car
Old 10-05-2013, 03:25 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Over on M5board for a LOT more help with DIY stuff
Old 10-27-2013, 07:13 PM

Mein Auto: E90 330i; E39 528i
I'm in the market for one too. I was looking at the M3's but it will be for my son. He's a pretty big boy and hates cramped spaces. We've been looking at a couple of 2003's so far.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:56 PM

Mein Auto: E34 540i - a blue one :-)
Ditto - pics wanted..............
Old 12-28-2013, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: 89 E30 Cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdmonster View Post
I purchased a 2000 M5.. 130k on the clock....per some advice on a few forums I budgeted about 2k off the bat for initial maintenance I might not be able to perform.

While inspecting the car I noticed a leak in the power steering reservoir/pump hose area. The rear diff also had a drop of oil on it. Vague description i know. Might need rear rotors or a wheel bearing.....nothing terribly difficult as I am a fairly capable DIY guy.

I test drove It for about 45 minutes In a mix of residential/highway and city. I made my offer getting the amount off the price for what I figured would go into it.

After owning it for a few days and getting brave I explored some of the power of this car.The motor feels very strong. Runs and idles just fine.Sounds awesome....Thursday I could tell there was some clutch slippage. After a few hours it was real clutch slippage...bad enough that as I was pulling into my neighbor hood it failed completely. In gear....clutch out.....no power to the wheels. I've been driving manuals for 25 years and ever saw a clutch go from (seemingly) fine to totally gone so quick. I'll know tomorrow what the repairs will be. The clutch is not something I want to try myself.

This winter I had planned on installing a full exhaust system on my sport bike (Ducati 1098 awesomeness!!) and a new exhaust system plus primary belt drive on my Harley.im going to put those funds to my newest toy. I also sold a couple of pistols and two rifles that were more or less gathering dust.All told I pulled together about 3500 plus have a guitar I can sell. Its a nice Gibson SG (i love toys!!)that i really suck at playing. The idea is to keep this a cash operation. This winter I can use the loot I was gonna throw at the bikes to fix any other problems.

The problems are...obviously.....Clutch (at the shop)...dsc/cruise....abs works dsc/cruise does not...might need the shop there as I haven't researched that much.

Things I can do....diff. Seal...Power steering hoses...Brakes...wheel bearing...the shop is inspecting a lot of stuff also....I have a Bentley manual and TIS on the way.

I've always wanted an M series BMW......I was looking at M3s and couldn't find the right one. When I saw and drove this car I was hooked.

I have built two HDs from boxes, wrench (within reason ) on all my own rides and have been a motorcycle enthusiast since riding my first trail 70! Ducatis are pricey to own and HD ain't cheap either. Both are fun to ride and wrench on.about all I won't do are engine/ tranny rebuilds.

I think that's all .....I'm exhausted from work and cross eyed from typing on this IPad. I'm real excited about this car....every time I looked in the garage I giggled like a little kid. I'm disappointed that the clutch cooked that quick but that's life....I totaled a nice Monster notto emotion banged myself up and never blamed the bike....

Sorry for the long post but thats the story. Questions...comments and advice is welcome.
Clutch failure like hat is not unheard of.

IM guessing the car is stck in the engaged position if so then id suspect the hydraulics slave or master cylinder.

Otherwise it could clutch disc failure. Ive seen it happen on a NIssan with a sr20 swap. the screws holding the friction pads to the disc failed and one of the pads flaked off and the clutch died Fortunately the screws didnt go flying through the bell housing

But yeah Id do the clutch job my self if i were you its not difficult at all just time consuming. You can do it in a day, all you need is a set of jack stands and a good low profile jack. Harbor frieght has a great one. The clutch itself is pretty expensive for these cars, and id go ahead and replace the flywheel as well. just to make sure everything is good.

Budget about 1000.00 in parts DIY and save yourself the other 1000 in labour.

A clutrch job on any RWD car is easy and pretty much the same. AWD with active yaw control is another story thats the only job that requires special equipment

As for the rear diff there is no seal I can think of that would leak thats going to be easy to replace. The sealed areas are around th pinion shaft, the two by the stub axles and the gasket around the case. If you have a leaky seal around the pinion or carrier thats not a simple DIY job.

The leak marks could be caused by excess oil on the housing when the previous owner changed the diff oil. Id clean the case off and drive it a few miles to see if it really is leaking. If its not and you dont hear any gear whine id leave it alone. If it is then id plan on doing a rebuild. Unfortunately getting to those seals especially the pinion seal is not possible unless you're doing a rebuild since you will change the setup of the diff when you pull it apart and you will need to set it up again. Its not terribly difficult to DIY but it will require special tools like a dial indicator, and a dial torque wrench etc.

Last edited by 3star; 12-28-2013 at 10:51 AM.