Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 09-28-2013, 01:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 330XI, 11 X5 35d
1996 BMW 318i with 67,000km

My friend relatives are selling a 1996 BMW 318i, automatic with 67,000km. They stored the car for about 13 years because this car got into an accident back then, and they ended up buying a new E46, and when this car came back, it went straight into storage with the intention to sell it. They ended up selling everything, and moved to the UAE, but didn't sell this car. It came out of storage briefly in 2002. After that, for the last 11 years, the car hasn't been touched. Now my friends uncle is back to basically sell off the things in storage, get "rid" of the car and stop paying for storage.
Now to the important part.
The car has been totally neglected for the last 10 years, it still has the permit sticker from May 2002 on it. There is dust all over the car, but interior is clean. The tires need air.
The guy selling the car is basically giving it away, all he wants is $300 for the battery and for the next owner to drive it off. He doesn't want to spend time selling it.
Now my question is, I'm getting this car for practically free, but how much money do I need to put into this car to be in driving state? What does it need? It was a vegetable for 11 years.
Tomorrow, a new battery will be installed so I can see how it is.
Do you guys think, I should buy this car? Or steer clear?
Advertisement
Old 09-28-2013, 01:34 AM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
I'd take it, but understand the tires, hoses, and fluids will all need changing ASAP. There may be sealing problems, since the gaskets will all be dried out by now, but you won't know that until you run and drive it for a while. Any gas that's in it will need to be drained and replaced with fresh. DO NOT attempt to crank it on the gas that's in it. It's very likely the injectors will be clogged with dried out varnish the evaporated fuel left behind.

All that said, for $300? Grab it. I gotta ask, though...why does the owner want $300 for the battery? They cost nowhere near that much, even from BMW.
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 09-28-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
I'd take it, but understand the tires, hoses, and fluids will all need changing ASAP. There may be sealing problems, since the gaskets will all be dried out by now, but you won't know that until you run and drive it for a while. Any gas that's in it will need to be drained and replaced with fresh. DO NOT attempt to crank it on the gas that's in it. It's very likely the injectors will be clogged with dried out varnish the evaporated fuel left behind.

All that said, for $300? Grab it. I gotta ask, though...why does the owner want $300 for the battery? They cost nowhere near that much, even from BMW.

$300 is just an assumption. I am just worried that fixing it up will it be beyond the value of the car?
It would be a great spare and winter car.

Last edited by BMW318i_E36; 09-28-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:11 AM

Mein Auto: 318 i
Re: 1996 BMW 318i with 67,000km

I just bought one, for $600. Personally its a win, mine the ignition lock was broken so I could not started, plus who ever worked on it before I got this car, they messed up the air bag wire on the steering wheel, and to top it off they lost the title.
So I took the chance because I don't know the seller, but in my mind if some thing would of not work out then partying out the car for parts wood get your money back and some.my car turns on the first try I've changed all the fluids and tune up. $300 for steering wheel and Callum, $400. On a bonded title....

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-29-2013, 02:35 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Both of you... WTF?! 300 & 600???
that is one helluva deal for a E36!!

Time for some maintenance!!

Everything you guys are worried about can be sorted in a afternoon with oatsoda & tea.

You dont need to get a whole new steering column..
Just get that ignition tumbler removed so you can start the car.
Hint: little hole above where key goes in
Real easy procedure. Just search on here..

Airbag wire can be repaired and the airbag light reset.

Title is easy as PIE..

If you want to take a trip up the hill from the Frisco, or the next time im headed to the Bay.. I would be willing to help.

Bmw-Mania, Ladies and Gentlemen.

Last edited by bmw-mania; 09-29-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:53 AM

I hope so, unless its going to cost an arm and leg just to register it. Car is for driving and not for sitting doing nothing, just like a human being in a coma. Could be out for years, and when they wake up, they have to regain muscle mass, and so on.
I am still contemplating.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:22 AM

Back fees shouldnt be there..
If they are.. it shouldnt be that much.

If its a lien title.. or the car is out of the DMV system.. you wont have back fees.
Even if you do.. You can sign a affidavit at the DMV to reduce the costs.
Make a appt at your local DMV.. or one outta town, if your local branch is hectic.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:39 AM

Mein Auto: 318 i
Re: 1996 BMW 318i with 67,000km

Yes I know about the ignition switch but I got the steering wheel, but without air bag, but steering wheel and Callum for$100. And mechanic $200 to install that's not bad but car runs great I'm on the hunt for another one lol...

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-30-2013, 11:03 AM

Bean,
Its really easy.. you can do it yourself.
Congrats on a great find!!

Old 09-30-2013, 12:03 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
bmw-mania: PM me again when you get your inbox cleaned out. I have an answer to your question, but can't PM you because your inbox is full.
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?