Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 09-30-2013, 06:28 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 328i
Exclamation Catastrophic Cooling Failure

HELP!! I was driving my 97 328i yesterday and I experienced a catastrophic failure with my cooling system, mainly the radiator fan and it's housing. I have not owned this vehicle for long and it has been running like a dream for the month I've owned it.

I was driving when there was a loud metallic clank the the gut wrenching sound of breaking plastic. Then the car shut itself off. when I looked under the hood almost all of the coolant was either draining out or was already on the road. The housing that the coolant reservoir was attached to was broken from it's mount and the top of it was bout midway down the fan. Two of the blades on the fan were also broken and on the ground under the engine.

Not sure what exactly broke or how to fix it. Wondering if anyone has had this problem before or might have any hints or tips. I am a sufficient mechanic and have worked on cars for years (never a BMW though). Since im a broke college student i want to do the job right but was hoping to minimize cost and avoiding expensive repair shops if at all possible. ANy insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
Ads by Google
Old 09-30-2013, 08:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW
Yup!
Time for a cooling system overhaul!
Common weak chank in the armour..

Although I am having a hard time visualizing... Do you have a pic?
A Metal clank? then the car shut off?

Chances are.. time for a new water pump(get a metal impeller) Low thermostat, housing, gaskets, belts and fan..
You can do the fan delete mod, at this time if you like.
If you do, its nice to keep the fan in the trunk. i.e. hot days, traffic.. I can install mine at a stoplight.

I have a spare radiator shroud, if you need it.

Cheers!

Bmw-Mania, Ladies and Gentlemen.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:54 PM

Mein Auto: 96 328is
As long as you didn't overheat for long you should be fine. You should rebuild your entire cooling system as a maintenance item at about every 75k miles IIRC. It is THE weak point on this car.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:00 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
^ Nick.. yes.. you are correct.. every 75k/miles..

Here is a good peek-a-boo

http://edgemotorworks.com/wordpress/...ing-m-edition/

Bmw-Mania, Ladies and Gentlemen.