Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 128i Convertible
New128i Convertible owner

Hello to all from Nashville, TN... I'm and old guy, lol, just purchased a 2013 white convertible with premium package. I just love it! I have been an avid motorcycle enthusiast for many years and of course sports cars. My wife decided we needed to go to a Trike and we did. This gave me an excuse to buy myself a Beemer instead of 3 motorcycles, a Trike and a BMW convertible, the perfect combination.

The biggest reason is I wanted the "Classic" BMW look and a naturally aspirated engine and this is the last year so the decision was easy.

I really like black and white so for me the white is just easier to keep clean. I brought it straight home and did my normal 5 coats of 2 different European paint sealers before it left the garage. Had the windows tinted today and the aluminum pedals installed.

I have been in Automotive all my life and the paint on the BMW is really nice as you know.

Later

Last edited by Chazzman; 09-07-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Advertisement
Old 09-07-2013, 04:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 128i vert, '14 X5 35d
Congrats Chazzman, nice ride. I know because an old guy who bought a '13 128i vert about 5 months ago - premium package, heated seats and steering wheel and HK sound system. First vert I've owned since my '64 TR4 I owned in the late 60's. Really enjoying it. Great fun to drive - wonderful engine (with a wonderfully sounding exhaust you clearly hear with the top down), best steering and brakes of any vehicle I've owned and really good handling - and it's comfortable! (not just compared to that old TR4, but compared to any modern car, including our '13 328xi).

Only problem - I'm taking drives in the 128 more often than rides on my Suzuki Vstrom so the latter is seeing little use lately.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:13 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 128i convertible
Well, since this is an "old guy" thread I'll add that I'm one too. I also just bought a 2009 128i convertible in Le Mans blue metallic with sport and premium package and a few other little options. It looks great next to my 2012 R1200RT in Midnight Blue.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 128i convertible
New(er) 128 convertible, too

Traded my 2007 Miata for a 2011 128 rag top in July. It is cashmere silver metallic with matching top and matching (Boston oyster) interior - pure oyster, not the black & oyster. Automatic and Premium package. I tried out a 328 retractable hardtop and didn't like it, but really like my 128i.

The 128 really handles: I have a "twisty-curvey" road nearby that I used to enjoy the Miata on and was amazed how well my 128 did it.

I'm bedazzled at the number of variables one can set - really too many for me. I don't think i've figured out the automatic windshield wipers yet, but that's not a big deal here in central Texas!

My only negative so far is squeaks/rattles from the passenger side windshield post inside plastic trim. A periodic squirt of WD-40 in the seams helps.

I had a 1999 528 5-speed manual that I gave my young son last year. I hope this Bimmer is as good a car as that one (still) is!
Old 09-15-2013, 03:27 PM

Smile

i guess i should have mentioned that i sold an aging (2005) Chrysler Crossfire Limited Coupe, which I bought new in November 2004, to buy the Bimmer. I loved the Crossfire and it was the most fun, fastest, best handling sports car i have ever owned. It was getting on with 110+K miles and beginning to show its age. The problem with the Crossfire is that it was about the only useful product from the ill-fated Daimler-Crysler union of the early 2000s. They quit making them in 2008 and of course the D-C marriage went by the boards about the same time. As a result the cars were truly orphans... It was about 80% Mercedes sourced (SLK 320) and nobody was left at the local Chrysler dealers who knew how to fix them. Mercedes dealers simply refused to touch them because it was a mere Chrysler. If you could find an independent shop willing to fix them it cost a kings ransom to do anything but an oil change. Anyway, the writing was on the wall and i felt lucky to find this little 128i convertible. it's bigger, heavier, squeakier, more comfortable, a bit slower, and i think, a little down on handing from Crossfire, but I'm learning to love it for the fine piece that it is. Only time will tell.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:47 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggsplorist View Post
Traded my 2007 Miata for a 2011 128 rag top in July. It is cashmere silver metallic with matching top and matching (Boston oyster) interior - pure oyster, not the black & oyster. Automatic and Premium package. I tried out a 328 retractable hardtop and didn't like it, but really like my 128i.

The 128 really handles: I have a "twisty-curvey" road nearby that I used to enjoy the Miata on and was amazed how well my 128 did it.

I'm bedazzled at the number of variables one can set - really too many for me. I don't think i've figured out the automatic windshield wipers yet, but that's not a big deal here in central Texas!

My only negative so far is squeaks/rattles from the passenger side windshield post inside plastic trim. A periodic squirt of WD-40 in the seams helps.

I had a 1999 528 5-speed manual that I gave my young son last year. I hope this Bimmer is as good a car as that one (still) is!
One more thing regarding your comment on the "squeaking" from the passenger side. Mine does the same ting and I was tempted to find stuff to tighten to stop it. Did you try tightening any of the dash contact points? I can see that lubing with WD40 or other light oil would work for a time but also I have to wonder if the petroleum in the lubricant will deteriorate the plastics it's applied to over time. Anyone have an opinion tightening or lubing? Should I just accept the squeaking and drive faster?
Old 09-26-2013, 08:42 AM

Mein Auto: Car
Congrats. I just picked up a 135i from the Nashville dealer this week.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:50 PM
'Fester

Mein Auto: '11 X5 35d
Congrats to all! Looking to join the ranks of 1 series owners. What kind of deals are you getting?
2011 X5 35d Alpine white/black leather, bamboo, Prem, Prem Sound, Cold, Tech, Sport, Adaptive drive, 20" 214's, CA, spare, active seat package, multi-contour seats, rear climate, roof rails, side-view cam, heated rear seats, auto high beams.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:48 PM

Mein Auto: Car
Re: New128i Convertible owner

Get pre-approved via a Credit Union if you can as they have some of the best rates. However, I told my dealer what I was pre-approved for and they beat that. My car is used certified pre owned.

Credit Union 2.49% for 60 months
BMW 0.9% for 60 months

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-27-2013, 10:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 128 convertible
Hello All, Well, the 128 convertible seems to be the choice old guy ride. I just bought myself a 2011 in Deep Sea Blue. The sport suspension is pretty fun! I think the young guys with seething testosterone are all driving 135s, so I'm glad there are some cronies here!

I test drove a 135 at a Toyota dealer. This poor car was completely used up at 60,000 miles! I sure can see why! 0-60 in right now if you want, but wow, twin turbos can eat an engine quick! The exhaust was full of soot, the engine idled bad, shook and rattled, and it wasn't long for this world. My old '98 328 with 200,000 miles runs better than that! Somebody's gonna buy it for $26,000, and the salesman will smile and say "have a nice day".

I've been lusting after a 3 series hard top convertible for years 'till I drove a 328 and a 128 in the same day. No questions asked! According to my butt, the 128 is way funner, and according to my sound level meter, the 128 is actually quieter than the 328 on the freeway!

Oh My!, Don't spray WD-40 on plastic! It tends to dissolve plastic slightly and leaves it forever sticky or tacky. There are other spray lubes that don't do this, but I'm spacing the name right now. I'd be tempted to use soap spray.

I paid $25,000 for my beautiful blue 2011 128 convert with 23,000 miles on it. The CARFAX says it's been pampered, so I'm pretty pleased. I got 1.99% on the loan. I'm upgrading from a '98 328 convertible. Even with aftermarket sway bars that '98 is nothing like the nimble yet smooth 128 sport suspension. I'm liking it!

Enjoy!
Old 09-30-2013, 01:55 PM

Mein Auto: 128I
Noticed no one is saying HOW old. Me, 61 and love my 2012 128i, Crimson Red, Sport suspension Coupe
Old 09-30-2013, 03:59 PM
'Fester

Lol! 50 here and am debating on 135i cab or a 5 series! Loved the 1 series ever since I had one as a loaner while my M6 was being serviced. Didn't want to give it back! My X5 lease ends in 2 months and I am shopping ! Not much left to choose from, but I have my eye on a cab. Just waiting for he holiday specials to arrive next month and we'll go from there!
2011 X5 35d Alpine white/black leather, bamboo, Prem, Prem Sound, Cold, Tech, Sport, Adaptive drive, 20" 214's, CA, spare, active seat package, multi-contour seats, rear climate, roof rails, side-view cam, heated rear seats, auto high beams.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:05 PM

Mein Auto: 128I
50 ! You young whipper snapper
Old 09-30-2013, 07:38 PM

50!?! I got socks older than that, ya punk. 64 here. //sarc
Old 10-01-2013, 04:08 AM
'Fester

You guys are too funny! Female here, but I like being called a punk! But, isn't 60 the new '30''? Sorry to high jack this thread! Apologies to all you new owners and am looking forward to being in the ranks soon!
Old 10-02-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK View Post
You guys are too funny! Female here, but I like being called a punk! But, isn't 60 the new '30''? Sorry to high jack this thread! Apologies to all you new owners and am looking forward to being in the ranks soon!
Oops! sorry ma'am. when ya gets to be my age ya get a little cranky later in the evening... Seriously, it's a great little car. I agree with the idea of going to the BMW dealer and buying a CPO. And BMWNA Financial can beat just about any CU or bank rate
Old 12-04-2013, 01:28 PM

Mein Auto: Santa Fe 2.0T
WOW i gotta be the youngest buyer i'm 30 (my wife really) but I got a 2011 128 convertible last friday. i love the NA Inline 6 BMW sound. the newer 4cyl has the get up and go but not the BMW sound

was looking at maybe a 320 or X1 but this was a deal...the top goes down heh also it only had 1287 miles!!!

so it was a no brainer...it was a BMW STEP program vehicle so it looked like it sat indoors for quite some time but $0 repairs has been made to it so i felt good about buying.

too bad warranty runs out in May 2014....but I hate the local dealer anyway...
Old 12-11-2013, 07:21 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw 2012 128i convertible
Hi, this is my first post on any board ever! Since September 2013 I sold my Toyota and Lexus and Honda motorcycle and purchased a (new left over) 2012 BMW 128i convertible and a (new) 2014 BMW X1 SUV. I'm an old guy too. (60). In this short time I've realized, it's a whole new word I've ventured into. Jap/German. The 128i convertible is by far the most fun vehicle I have ever owned. With the top down its like driving my motorcycle but much more fun. The SUV is awd for the New England winters fuel efficient (4cyl turbo) and provides the utility I need. I have all the bases covered. I hope I have as much luck with them as I did with my Japanese cars. I know I'll definitely have more fun!!
Old 12-11-2013, 10:11 PM
zeddy

Mein Auto: '06 330cic ZHP / '07 M35x
Love my convertible - 7 years and still going strong!

Oh, and it's a proper rag-top too.

2000 Mercedes Benz E320 (daily driver)
2007 Infiniti M35x (wife's)
2006 330 cic ZHP 6sp (current)
2005 Z4 3.0 sp nav x-leather (retired)
2000 323i PP (best car, ever - retired)
Old 03-18-2014, 03:30 AM

Mein Auto: 128i
Another BMW newbie w/ 128i convertible

And older than all the rest, I suspect. Ran into this 2013 128i convertible special edition with 3000 miles at a local ORR lot and threw caution to the winds. It's been a great pleasure so far, though reading here has produced some anxiety--what to expect in terms of reliability, etc. I enclose snapshot. Our dog, who goes everywhere, finds the back seat a little snug. Got the special edition against better judgment because it was what they had available. Guessing it'll lose value faster than less "equipped" models. So it goes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-2.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	428734  

Last edited by fbx; 03-18-2014 at 03:51 AM.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 135I MS 6MT, 2006 X3
I'm older than dirt but that's never stopped me from enjoying my fully loaded (rare, every BMW option) 2011 135i 6MT M-Sport coupe that I purchased in December. Now if I could only get the weather to enjoy it! So far I've re-flashed the ECU (BMW Power Performance Kit), added a Cusco front strut brace, a K&N filter, and XM/Sirius radio. The previous owner added the BMW CF rear wing, performance foot pedals, short shift kit, parking brake, window tint, replaced the run flats with Hankook Vertis ZR tires, black kidney grills and wheel locks. Needless to say it's a nice looking great performing 135.
06 BMW X3, Bluewater/Tan/K&N's/XM (Wife's)