Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 09-16-2013, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto: 1990 325is m20/260
Looking at an '88 535is

A white 5 speed '88 535is with 184k miles just came up for sale at a dealer up the street and it looks great. It had been wrecked a long time ago but it drives straight and it must have been pretty minor. The engine/transmission feel brand new and there's a small oil leak after i drive it but it looks like it's just the valve cover gasket. There's also a couple minor electrical issues, the driver's seat front to back adjustment and both power mirrors. Rust is starting to eat away the sheet metal on the lower driver's corner of the windshield, and this is my only real potential deal breaker.

The PO put on Bilstein sports, bigger swaybars (not huge ones) and poly bushings. He also put in a short shift kit. The dealer said they're probably going to list it at $10k. Here's my questions:

1. I'm an E30 guy but I also have an E39 540iT. Should the initial turn-in feel a lot heavier than both of these cars? It almost feels like the front wheels are toed out. There is a lot of camber in the back wheels so I'm guessing he might have cut the springs or something goofy.

2. $10k seems to be on the high side but it is from the dealer and the car looks great. Any thoughts on what I should come back with? I'm thinking more like $6k.

Thanks in advance for any help and I'm really excited about potentially getting this car. I've always thought they were so cool looking and after driving it, it really doesn't feel any bigger than an E30.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Advertisement
Old 09-16-2013, 04:58 PM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
My E28 steering has a considerably "heavier" feel than my E46, but tire selection, inflation pressure, and other factors can affect it too. $10k is too much, but it's a dealer, so they usually want more than these cars are worth. Check out the rust very carefully, it could be a deal-breaker.

Last edited by catso; 09-16-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:51 PM

Mein Auto: 1990 325is m20/260
Looking at an '88 535is

Thanks. I also noticed a couple spots on the rocker panel where the PO had sprayed over some rust just before he brought it in. The more I think about it I'm probably not going to do it but it sucks because I've always thought it was such a cool car.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:57 PM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by logantv View Post
Thanks. I also noticed a couple spots on the rocker panel where the PO had sprayed over some rust just before he brought it in. The more I think about it I'm probably not going to do it but it sucks because I've always thought it was such a cool car.

Keep looking, there's some nice E28's still around, but avoid rusty ones.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:03 PM

Mein Auto: 325i
I agree with the rust being a deal breaker, proper eradication is expensive... windshield probably needs to come out, may get cracked and need replaced in the process

rocker arm/camshaft oiler tube crush washers were something to watch for on these engines also....when loose the resulting loss of lube accelerated wear,
resulting in camshaft/ sometimes rocker replacement.. if the valve train is noisy...see a trusted technician...
despite this, the 87-88 535 has always been one of my favorites also... they handle and ride great.., with plenty of power
Old 10-02-2013, 01:20 PM

Mein Auto: 1985 635CSi, 1987 535is
I'd say that if you live in the rust belt and plan to drive the car year-round, some MINOR rust shouldn't be your major concern since the car's going to get rusty anyway. Focus on finding a one or two-owner car that's been well-maintained, with excellent records. Areas to watch on used ones tend to be the front suspension components (many of which need replacing at ~100-125K), rear suspension subframe bushings, the central locking system, driveshaft (guibo, central bearing and joints), and some electrical issues (power windows and seats, instruments, etc.). Locate a BMW master tech in your area...one who knows older bimmers like E28s....and have a PPI done before you buy. It's money well-spent.

Last edited by WhiteyM; 10-02-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:09 AM

Mein Auto: 91 e30 and a 02 530i Man
I have a not rusty one in the STL, money talks

I'll sell you for $6500

Last edited by brickwhite; 10-03-2013 at 09:12 AM.