Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:10 PM

Mein Auto: 128I
BMW Battery problems?

I have a 2010 BMW 128I with 28K miles that we have had fro 2 1/2 years. when we bought it the bragged about bumper to bumper waranty and the quality of the product. Well I just found out when the look at the fault codes the have some the say "blaim the customer". turns out they would not replace the defective batterybecause it regestered code 73. Then they proceded to tell me it was my fault because I left the key in the car. Which I thought strange since the key was in my wifes purse and does not need to be in the ignition to start. Then I got schooled on how to properly hit the button "twice" to turn the car I had been driving for 2.5 years off. Long story short and $362 later I had to pay for a new battery. When I went to pick it up the gave me the reason it was my fault. "Unfavorable driving profile" the battery can be depleted due to unfavorable driving caracteristics of the customer.
Unfavorable driving profile
The battery can be depleted due to unfavorable driving characteristics of the customer:
- In the case of extreme short-distance driving, it is possible that starting the engine takes more energy from the battery than is charged in the subsequent trip. The charge balance deteriorates if a great many current consumers are switched on during the subsequent trip.
- Very few trips: If the vehicle is moved very infrequently and the individual trips are not sufficiently long, it is possible that during the immobilization period more energy is taken from the battery by normal closed-circuit current than is charged while the vehicle is being driven.
If possible, point out these facts to the customer.
Has any one had any luck with BMW on this?
Ads by Google
Old 11-07-2012, 03:46 PM

Mein Auto: 97 M3, 97 528i, 09 MINI
I had a similar situation on my '09 MINI Cooper S. I drove it for two years no problems then my wife started using it to get to her job. She drove only 5-7 miles each way and used the lights, seat heaters, etc. We then started to get the low battery dash warnings. I tried hard to get the dealer to replace the battery and they explained the same story about user profile. I didn't believe them at first but when I looked at the actual change in driving patterns, it seemed they had a point. I went out and bought a battery maintainer and use it regularly. It also de-sulfates the battery so it should be good for a long while. At this point it has been almost a year since we had any low battery warnings. I am still not convinced the battery is not weak, but my warranty is good till the end of Dec. I suggest you buy a Battery Minder for about $35 and use it whenever practical.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:05 PM

Mein Auto: 128I
I have battery minders however there were no warnings just a dead battery which is very common in Arizona when the weather switches. Usually it is first few days of heat or first cold snap. That said my 2003 ford truck is used less and we have no issues with a $70 Interstate Battery which is good for 5 years with no question. Not sure why a BMW that lasts 2 years is worth $486.00 which is what they tried to charge me. Then out of the blue they decided maybe I could have it for $362. In addition we have a 1999 suburban in the mountains which gets used once a year for hunting battery is 6 years old and all we did was put a disconnect on it so it would not drain while sitting. Both the MINI and BMW have electronic drains which are much more the problem than the driving.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
You cannot revive the battery by driving on a highway for 30 minutes? Even if you replace the battery, your driving profile is going to run it down again.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/under-...r-battery1.htm

I am still on the original battery of a 2006 330xi with 132.5k miles. 80 miles a day 60 of which are highway miles.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:39 PM

Mein Auto: 128i convertible
a I agree with you that the dealer was not reasonable. While it might deplete a battery to only drive short trips it should not ruin a battery. There have been several reports of premature battery replacements in 1 series. I would have argued more and replaced it myself if they did not cover under warranty. I can make the software updates, or at least i think I can so there is no reason I can't replace a bimmer battery at reasonable cost.

Jim
Old 09-20-2013, 01:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 128i vert
Most important question of all...why would you buy a battery from a BMW dealer?!? Pep boys, walmart, etc. etc. etc.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:58 AM

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedrass View Post
Most important question of all...why would you buy a battery from a BMW dealer?!? Pep boys, walmart, etc. etc. etc.
http://www.munichmotorsport.com/wordpress/?page_id=164
Old 09-20-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsd60 View Post
I have battery minders however there were no warnings just a dead battery which is very common in Arizona when the weather switches. Usually it is first few days of heat or first cold snap. That said my 2003 ford truck is used less and we have no issues with a $70 Interstate Battery which is good for 5 years with no question. Not sure why a BMW that lasts 2 years is worth $486.00 which is what they tried to charge me. Then out of the blue they decided maybe I could have it for $362. In addition we have a 1999 suburban in the mountains which gets used once a year for hunting battery is 6 years old and all we did was put a disconnect on it so it would not drain while sitting. Both the MINI and BMW have electronic drains which are much more the problem than the driving.
Modern BMW's cannot be compared to older model domestics as our cars are chocked full of electrical gizmo's and step motors that put a tremendous drain on our batteries. We're retired so our car doesn't get driven anywhere close to daily. Ours stays on a tender almost all the time it's not being driven and we've never had a battery problem in 5 years and 118,000 miles. I even mounted my charger to a padded board so it's quick and easy to just "throw it on the car".

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	X3 Battery Charger.jpg
Views:	1341
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	397899  
Old 09-21-2013, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usaret View Post
Most good BMW shops will reset the registration for you for nothing. They will also reset the computer if you get the oil changed for free. They know you will come back to them when something else needs done.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Most good BMW shops will reset the registration for you for nothing. They will also reset the computer if you get the oil changed for free. They know you will come back to them when something else needs done.
I would love to know which dealer will do that (this car is under warranty)! Every dealership I've ever known will charge you an hours labor just to look at the car. Which is pretty standard. A BMW master tech can make 6 figures. You cannot cover that salary and all the overhead by giving service away and most will not do it. Trust me on this. My dad was a GM tech for 38 years.

Last edited by usaret; 09-21-2013 at 06:32 AM.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:39 PM

I said shop not dealer. I meant shop. Use your google machine to find a BMW shop in your area. I let them do my oil changes most of time because I am lazy. But build a relationship, it's good to have when something really goes wrong. The point of the comment was to always stay away from dealers, unless it's covered.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
I said shop not dealer. I meant shop. Use your google machine to find a BMW shop in your area. I let them do my oil changes most of time because I am lazy. But build a relationship, it's good to have when something really goes wrong. The point of the comment was to always stay away from dealers, unless it's covered.
To each his own but there is NO WAY I would ever have such a thing done on a BMW under warranty. And you can save the condescending "Use your google machine" comments for somebody else. OK sport?
Old 09-23-2013, 04:35 AM

The google machine is a reference that you missed. Didn't mean to offend.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
The google machine is a reference that you missed. Didn't mean to offend.
I didn't miss anything..... You told me to Google it in your own supposedly clever way and I know full well how to find indie BMW shops.

Since you're into schooling people let me school you. The best way to find a BMW shop is with http://www.bimrs.org/ not google.

And let me get something straight.... You are suggesting that you take a BMW (that's under warranty) with a dead battery from the dealership down to Pep boys, walmart, etc. etc. etc. , install the battery and then drive it to your local indie shop and have them register the new battery.

First of all how are you going to get it there? If you say jump it and drive it..... How about you using your "google machine" to get the definition of "alternator death".

And you did not offend. I've go too many birthdays behind me to get offended by people in person let alone on line. The term you should have used is "raised my ire".
Old 09-23-2013, 08:05 AM

I was correct using . If you jump the car then drive to walmart and have the new battery put in you save $200. Even if you get the registration updated, which is not an emergency, but should be done, you save $$$. Why on earth would someone as old as you honestly insinuate that only a dealer can change a battery? Really? You must really love keeping them in business. BTW you could also save yourself $100 if you took it to the indie for that battery if you really don't trust walmart, which you should, I have used them and never had an issue. Last post I'm out.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
I was correct using . If you jump the car then drive to walmart and have the new battery put in you save $200. Even if you get the registration updated, which is not an emergency, but should be done, you save $$$. Why on earth would someone as old as you honestly insinuate that only a dealer can change a battery? Really? You must really love keeping them in business. BTW you could also save yourself $100 if you took it to the indie for that battery if you really don't trust walmart, which you should, I have used them and never had an issue. Last post I'm out.
Now you didn't do your homework like I told you.

I'll help you... but just this once.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_a_disc...the_alternator
Old 09-23-2013, 08:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 135i E82 MSport
Quote:
You really will be "out" if you keep using Chinese parts on your German BMW

Whatever.
Gone: 2011 X35i, Vermillion Red, MSport.
Gone: 2007 328xiTouring, Barbera Red, Lemon, 6MT.
Gone: 2009 M3 Sedan, Alpine White, Black Novillo, M-DCT.
Gone: 2008 535xi, Alpine White, Black Dakota, MSport.
Long Gone: 11 other BMWs between 1971 and 1986.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:16 PM

Mein Auto: 08 135i Coupe
Quote:
I think after 2006 all BMW vehicles have to use the BMW made battery and the vehicle has to be taken to the dealer so they can program the charging system to the battery. According to them if you use an aftermarket battery they would not be able to match them and your new battery will not last very long or it can damage your charging system.

I have battery tender on all my vehicles! they will save you a lot of money in the long run.

1970 Morris Cooper S * 2008 BMW 135i Coupe * 2008 BMW 128i Cabriolet * 2003 BMW 525i Touring
Old 09-24-2013, 12:18 AM

I am mad at myself for this, I said last post . But I have to correct the moron with the chinese comment. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=327816

My friend you are dead wrong. Battery is a battery. Hundreds of people have decided to not pay the exorbitant prices the dealers charge for the batteries and I have NEVER seen a post that says, gee my car is all screwed up now. NEVER.

+1 on the tender. I am military so it's a requirement for me, but I use it over long weekends too if I am going to be leaving the car in the garage.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:11 AM

BMW Battery problems?

I wouldn't assume a dead battery is an alternator issue, especially when it is easy to know. An alternator puts out over 14V and a charged battery about 13V. With the engine running above idle speed, measure the voltage. If it's over 14V, the alternator works. My favorite tool these days for a battery, "won't start" issue is my $20 HF battery tester. You have to charge the battery to test it but then you can measure the CCA and know if the battery is OK. Even before that you can jump the car and measure voltage to see if you have a charging problem. Handy tool.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-24-2013, 09:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 135i E82 MSport
Quote:
I am mad at myself for this, I said last post . But I have to correct the moron with the chinese comment. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=327816

My friend you are dead wrong. Battery is a battery. Hundreds of people have decided to not pay the exorbitant prices the dealers charge for the batteries and I have NEVER seen a post that says, gee my car is all screwed up now. NEVER.

+1 on the tender. I am military so it's a requirement for me, but I use it over long weekends too if I am going to be leaving the car in the garage.
Well, you are free to do whatever you wish to your car. Including using inferior parts. Some ppl know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Since you are resorted to personal attacks, there is only one "moron" on here, and it's not me. You have a nice day now.
Gone: 2011 X35i, Vermillion Red, MSport.
Gone: 2007 328xiTouring, Barbera Red, Lemon, 6MT.
Gone: 2009 M3 Sedan, Alpine White, Black Novillo, M-DCT.
Gone: 2008 535xi, Alpine White, Black Dakota, MSport.
Long Gone: 11 other BMWs between 1971 and 1986.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:04 AM

Since no one clicked on my link I will copy and paste. The point is the battery you are getting at the dealership IS THE EXACT SAME ONE YOU GET AT AUTOZONE. I used moron because I thought you read the information before making your Chinese comment. But alas you didn't.

anybody know what is the original equipment used for batteries on a BMW? I have a 2005 X3 and a 2004 545i and not sure the original battery are in them. pls advise

The original battery in a BMW is made by Varta.

The exact same Varta battery is not available for sale in N. America through BMW dealers or otherwise.

Replacement batteries for N. American BMW's were for a long time supplied by Douglas Battery, in a white/translucent case, and looked very much the same as the original Varta.

In 2005, the automotive battery division of Douglas was acquired by East Penn. Mfg.

This is where my understanding gets fuzzy ....

In N. America, Johnson Controls has Varta as a brand name, but don't make the same batteries as the O.E. ones in many German cars.

Back in Germany, the Quandt family that owned Varta for a century, owns a substantial part of BMW.

In 2006, Exide won the contract for supplying U.S. dealers with replacement batteries.
(Maybe because the Quandts sold a chunk of Varta to Johnson Controls, or because Douglas Battery got absorbed by East Penn?)

Meanwhile, a good facsimile of the O.E. battery could be obtained through various retail outlets,
made by Johnson Controls but labeled as a Duralast (Autozone house brand), Interstate MegaTron, Everstart/Energizer (WalMart), Kirkland (Costco), and a few others.

Then there is the Deka "exact fit" battery which is an East Penn. brand and appears to be a Douglas rebranded (sold by Batteries Plus as a Werker).

Maybe BMW dealers have the freedom to get their replacement batteries from whoever they choose.

I kind of doubt that Exide is the sole replacement battery supplier for U.S. dealerships, particularly as most people rate them behind Johnson Controls in performance/longevity
Old 10-03-2013, 04:41 PM

Mein Auto: 10'135i, 07'MCoupe, 09'X6
man there has been an awful lot of belly aching and hurt feeling to just confirm for John that newer BMWs do not like to be run for short periods of time because it kills the battery. Plus 1 for installing a tender. they are cheep and super effective. I have one hard wired to my '07 M Coupe and i havent had any issues. Replace 2 batteries before due to driving it very little. One thing i havnet read is about the possibility that even though you keep the key in your wives purse, maybe it it too close the the car. i assume you have comfort access. if so maybe the car is picking up the key. Just a thought. Good luck.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 convertible
Battery issue with 3 series

Just wanted to let everyone know BMW has issued a recall on certain battery lot codes on 3 series. I have a 2011 328 convertible I bought used in April last year. I complained within two weeks about battery issues and was told it was the way I was driving it. Bottom line I finally decided I had a really issue. Called and took the car in today. During my conversation with the service rep he pulled this memo from BMW dated 11/13 /2013 about issues with certain batteries. Long story I finally got a new battery at No charge! However I was told to use a trickle charger on my car since I do not drive it a lot.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:09 PM

This may not be worth further commenting on an old thread but I kind of don't understand the infrequent driving as a battery issue. My 2009 128i vert often sits for several days and somtimes for a week or more if I am doing things I need the SUV for. It always has started fine and I do not use a battery tender. I only have a little over 30,000 miles on it so that alone tells you something about how much I drive it. My experience may be different than others at least in part because when I drive it, I try to throw in a 20+ mile trip (>40 miles round trip) of 30-45 minutes. My point is that it isn't just infrequent driving, it is also short trips that don't give the alternator enough time to charge the battery.

I saw the piece on sudden alternator death and I don't think it is that big a risk. I've jumped cars and driven them several dozen times over the years and I talk about cars a lot and I know of no instances of this actually happening. When a car won't start, the battery is seldom fully depleted. When it is, jumping it won't start it (I've tried). You can't get enough juice through jumper cables to start a car. If the battery won't help, it won't crank. So the battery has to be depleted but still functional for a jump to work. So the alternator isn't trying to charge a dead battery. The only practical way to deal with a dead battery is to charge it. It may or may not come back. I've experienced it both ways.

I also do not believe a dealer supplies a better battery but it shouldn't be one that doesn't fit or something. The local dealership has been advertising $175 battery replacements. If they do the coding in that price, I would be interested if I needed a battery. My quick googling indicated a price around $150 for a battery from other potential sources. But I will go elsewhere before I pay over $200 to a dealer. I don't think they are providing a lot of value. But if you go elsewhere, make sure what they provide fits and has the necessary vent. And have a way to do the coding. An independant BMW place could be a source, for the coding or the whole replacement effort.