Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-14-2010, 09:26 AM
Rolf-Dieter's Avatar
Rolf-Dieter Rolf-Dieter is offline
Alter Peter
Location: North America
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 533
Mein Auto: 2012 ///M3 LMB/Black
Made it home with BMW 19 INCH Cracked Rear Wheel

Made it home with BMW 19” Cracked Rear Wheel

If you have 19 Inch wheels on your car, read on. If not this might not be of interest to you.

For all you BMW drivers with the 2009 sports package 19 Inch wheels on your car I am posting this primarily to give you the heads up on possible cracks on your rear wheels.

My planned retirement trip was to be fun and it was for the first part. The second part (some 3,000 KM from home) turned out to be a nightmare. Why you might ask? Well let me tell you.

1) The Tire Pressure Warning (TPW) came on some 3,000 KM from home. I was lucky to be near a gas station that had a tire pressure station and I carried a good quality pressure gauge with me at all times since I check my tire pressure on a regular basis. Well the rear driver side pressure was low so I increased the pressure back to specification 42 PSIG.
2) Next morning after a night stay at a hotel, the TPW came on again. So again I was lucky since I was in Idaho Falls. So I pulled into the LES SCHWAB tire center. The people there were super and checked the tire right away. They not only pointed out the crack to me right away they also pointed out that my rear tires wore prematurely on the inside edges. For all this work and checking the people at LES SCHWAB did not charge me a cent, I call this truly excellent Customer Service. The Manager at LES SCHWAB then pointed out that I best go to BMW just down the road so I did.
3) The BMW dealer people were also very nice, however, I was only given two options. A) Be towed to the nearest Canadian Dealership by Road Side Assistance or C) Order the Wheel and pay for it then try to get my money back from the Canadian BMW people. All this since the US and Canadian BMW Dealerships have different warranty policies (something to put in the back of your mind when you travel north or south of the boarder). So I paid my $666- US for the new wheel (it included overnight delivery and taxes).
4) Well since the Idaho Falls BMW dealer only checks tire pressure I was directed to BIG O Tire. Again the people here were very nice and as I requested checked all of my wheels and tires. The nightmare for me now begins since the BIG O Tire people now found two more cracks in my passenger rear wheel. Since the two cracks were only hairline cracks (very fine at this stage) I decided to chance it and make my way home with it as is. For all the work and checks done at BIG O Tire I was only charged $19- US again Great Customer Service. Naturally I gave the boys a nice tip all around. With the badly cracked wheel in a plastic bag on the passenger front seat and another wheel with two cracks in it on the car as well as two prematurely worn tires I went on my way east.
5) So put yourself into my shoes knowing you have 2 cracks in a wheel on the car and two tires worn prematurely on the inside edges (see pictures). How would you feel? Yes a very scary situation, with every little bump or noise your fear of the TPW light coming on flashes thru your mind.
6) Well I made it home (someone must have been watching over me). Washing my car this morning, well I did the wheel first so you can all have a closer look.

Here is the link to the Cracked Wheel and Tire Album 17;

http://web.me.com/solgain/Road_Trip_...ked_Wheel.html


Meanwhile my advise to anyone out there with 19 Inch BMW wheels is;

A) Stay clear of roads with tight curves like The Coastal Highway 1 and 101 as well as the Mohave Desert.
B) Take it very easy on the on and off ramps to express ways.
C) Do get your car onto a lift and have the inside wheel rim checked for cracks.

After I deal with the Canadian Dealership regarding warranty issue for two rear wheels and two rear tires I shall get back to you and let you know my feelings as to why I experienced such wheel and tire issues after only 18,000 KM on a car that is not yet 1 year old.

Cheers,

Rolf-Dieter

PS. I will now continue to wash my car. Oh one more thing, did I enjoy my trip? Hell yes it was wonderful only wish BMW would not put such inferior wheels on such a fine driving machine.
__________________

Driving mt 2012 /// M3 LMB & Black Leather Interior Fully Loaded
I drove a Z4 35i across the USA in 2010 & loved it.
Somehow I just had to get back into the /// M3 and so I did.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 08-14-2010, 11:48 AM
teagueAMX's Avatar
teagueAMX teagueAMX is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: So Ca, USA
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 177
Mein Auto: Mixed
Rolf, it's good to have you back in one piece!

Thanks for the report.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-14-2010, 01:34 PM
HerrK's Avatar
HerrK HerrK is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 596
Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i
Rolf,

Glad you made it back safely. In one of the wheel photos (the photo looking at the crack in the bead and spreading towards the center or "Rim Width") there appear to a couple of indentions (opposite side of the crack from the tape measure). One is a small dimple close to the crack the other further right in the photo apppears to be a cluster of indents. If these marks were not made during the tire removal process, it could be a result of impact loading marks from the tire. Not enough detail on the pics to say one way or the other. Certaintly doesn't appear to be any massive impact damage. BMW engr certainly needs to revisit the FEA/stress model. The RFT's may be putting a more direct impact load to the rim due to the stiff low profile. Not spreading the load across the sidewall into a greater circumferential area of the wheel.

Good luck with getting some retribution from BMW!!!
__________________


HerrK - Keine Eifelfahrt ohne eine Runde über den Nürburgring

May 2010 ED l 2011 35i l Crimson over Ext'd Coral Red w/brushed Alum l 6sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's l Comfort Access l Alarm l Power Heated Seats l & Nav.
FrauK - 2014 Q5 TDI - May 2014 ED | Cuvée Silver over Pistachio beige | Premim Plus | MMI | Nav | B&O
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-14-2010, 02:38 PM
Rolf-Dieter's Avatar
Rolf-Dieter Rolf-Dieter is offline
Alter Peter
Location: North America
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 533
Mein Auto: 2012 ///M3 LMB/Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrK View Post
Rolf,

Glad you made it back safely. In one of the wheel photos (the photo looking at the crack in the bead and spreading towards the center or "Rim Width") there appear to a couple of indentions (opposite side of the crack from the tape measure). One is a small dimple close to the crack the other further right in the photo apppears to be a cluster of indents. If these marks were not made during the tire removal process, it could be a result of impact loading marks from the tire. Not enough detail on the pics to say one way or the other. Certaintly doesn't appear to be any massive impact damage. BMW engr certainly needs to revisit the FEA/stress model. The RFT's may be putting a more direct impact load to the rim due to the stiff low profile. Not spreading the load across the sidewall into a greater circumferential area of the wheel.

Good luck with getting some retribution from BMW!!!

HerrK,

You have good eyes, yes the two markings are indeed from the tire removal tooling. I am still upset that BMW in Idaho Falls do not have a tire installation / removal facility. I was surprised about that, however, what could I do just follow the truck from BMW to the tire shop and hope for the best. What else could I do as a visitor from Canada to the USA. Certainly not take the first BMW recommendation and call Roadside Assist and tow my car to the nearest Canadian BMW Dealer (Properly Calgary Alberta up north). Then pay for the tow say $1,200- to $1,500- US plus a new wheel. What would you have done? Properly the same as I took your chances.

Cheers,

Rolf-Dieter
__________________

Driving mt 2012 /// M3 LMB & Black Leather Interior Fully Loaded
I drove a Z4 35i across the USA in 2010 & loved it.
Somehow I just had to get back into the /// M3 and so I did.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-14-2010, 03:20 PM
wag-zhp's Avatar
wag-zhp wag-zhp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Sacramento, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,526
Mein Auto: 97 White 328iC
Sorry to hear about your ordeal, and very glad to hear that you made it home safe and sound.

I have always thought that with an overall tire diameter of 25.5" or less that an 18" rim is the max serviceable size, and even then 18" is pushing the limit. A 17" rim is the size that I would recommend for a 1, 3, or Z series BMW, and then only if the roads that you drive on are in good to fair condition. This recommendation is based on road hazard survivability and performance considerations. Larger rims are heavier and the worst aspect of the additional weight is that it's pushed further from the center of the wheel, giving the wheel assembly a greater rotational mass, which has a detrimental effect on acceleration and braking performance. This, combined with the increased risk of road hazard damage really does make 18" and larger wheels quite impractical on today's road surfaces. 18" and larger wheels = bling and kill performance.
__________________
When it absolutely, positively, has to be destroyed overnight! OohRaah!!!
U. S. M. C.
Semper Fidelis
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-14-2010, 03:29 PM
HerrK's Avatar
HerrK HerrK is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 596
Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i
Rolf,

I would have done the same as you - milk it home and bitch up a storm at the place of purchase. I know how it is on the road from the BMW cylcle experience. Sometimes you just have to deal with it, as BMW cycle dealers are more rare than car dealers. Hope they don't give you too hard a time with the replacements. It appears that BMW clearly does not enough safety margin in the design of this and other 19" rims if they can't take some pothole pounding. The rim should literally bend before it breaks like this. Sometimes the Germans are very stubborn about admitting design errors and they passs that attitude along to the dealers. If they are good the dealer/BMW Canada should just eat the cost.
__________________


HerrK - Keine Eifelfahrt ohne eine Runde über den Nürburgring

May 2010 ED l 2011 35i l Crimson over Ext'd Coral Red w/brushed Alum l 6sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's l Comfort Access l Alarm l Power Heated Seats l & Nav.
FrauK - 2014 Q5 TDI - May 2014 ED | Cuvée Silver over Pistachio beige | Premim Plus | MMI | Nav | B&O
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-14-2010, 03:51 PM
HerrK's Avatar
HerrK HerrK is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 596
Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag-zhp View Post
I have always thought that with an overall tire diameter of 25.5" or less that an 18" rim is the max serviceable size, and even then 18" is pushing the limit. A 17" rim is the size that I would recommend for a 1, 3, or Z series BMW, and then only if the roads that you drive on are in good to fair condition. This recommendation is based on road hazard survivability and performance considerations. Larger rims are heavier and the worst aspect of the additional weight is that it's pushed further from the center of the wheel, giving the wheel assembly a greater rotational mass, which has a detrimental effect on acceleration and braking performance. This, combined with the increased risk of road hazard damage really does make 18" and larger wheels quite impractical on today's road surfaces. 18" and larger wheels = bling and kill performance.
I have to disagree with you as a correct design will work regardless of the requirements. For example the initial design of the V22 Osprey crash, crash, redesign crash, more redesign etc .. and finally they have them somewhat working. Engineers sometimes take numerous iterations to get the design correct for various reasons - cost, schedule, wrong requirements, wrong assumptions, inadequete safety margins, etc. I imagine the engineers realize they cut the margins too close, however now there are the lawyers, accountants, and executives.
__________________


HerrK - Keine Eifelfahrt ohne eine Runde über den Nürburgring

May 2010 ED l 2011 35i l Crimson over Ext'd Coral Red w/brushed Alum l 6sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's l Comfort Access l Alarm l Power Heated Seats l & Nav.
FrauK - 2014 Q5 TDI - May 2014 ED | Cuvée Silver over Pistachio beige | Premim Plus | MMI | Nav | B&O
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-14-2010, 04:10 PM
Rolf-Dieter's Avatar
Rolf-Dieter Rolf-Dieter is offline
Alter Peter
Location: North America
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 533
Mein Auto: 2012 ///M3 LMB/Black
HerrK

I so have to agree with you. I also come from an engineering background and have seen people on the top that used to be engineers that run the show replaced by accountants. The orders from the top are then cut costs whatever it takes. I've seen it first hand. I left one of the larger firms of North America and went into business for myself some 18 years ago.

I also have a good idea as to why the failure occurred it is crystal clear to me. I just don't like to talk about it now because I like to give BMW a chance to do it right by me that is to show me that they stay behind there product and pay for 2 wheels as well as two new tires. If they give me the same spiel as they have so many people before me. Then I shall go public and make my feelings known on this and other forums as well as some of the major car magazines I will then write a paper and explain why the wheels are failing. I wonder if you have seen the UK report "Watchdog" here is the link to it and the write up about the subject ....

http://whatconsumer.co.uk/forum/cons...racked-up.html

Meantime thanks for your interest and support,

Cheers,

Rolf-Dieter
__________________

Driving mt 2012 /// M3 LMB & Black Leather Interior Fully Loaded
I drove a Z4 35i across the USA in 2010 & loved it.
Somehow I just had to get back into the /// M3 and so I did.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-14-2010, 04:21 PM
Rolf-Dieter's Avatar
Rolf-Dieter Rolf-Dieter is offline
Alter Peter
Location: North America
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 533
Mein Auto: 2012 ///M3 LMB/Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag-zhp View Post
Sorry to hear about your ordeal, and very glad to hear that you made it home safe and sound.

I have always thought that with an overall tire diameter of 25.5" or less that an 18" rim is the max serviceable size, and even then 18" is pushing the limit. A 17" rim is the size that I would recommend for a 1, 3, or Z series BMW, and then only if the roads that you drive on are in good to fair condition. This recommendation is based on road hazard survivability and performance considerations. Larger rims are heavier and the worst aspect of the additional weight is that it's pushed further from the center of the wheel, giving the wheel assembly a greater rotational mass, which has a detrimental effect on acceleration and braking performance. This, combined with the increased risk of road hazard damage really does make 18" and larger wheels quite impractical on today's road surfaces. 18" and larger wheels = bling and kill performance.
Thank you for your comments. However, I do have to respectfully disagree with you. If BMW puts this wheel on a $70K before taxes car and only likes you to drive it on smooth roads then this should be made clear on the day of sale.

I owned and drove a M3 2002 BMW with 19 Inch wheels and normal tires for over 4 years. I had no spare and an inflation kit in the trunk as furnished by BMW. I never had a flat or any other type of problems with the tires or wheels.

So I ask what has changed between the 2002 and 2009 wheel design other then the now in use RFT ... I think the design of the 2009 wheel is inferior and not suitable for what BMW has it intended. That in my opinion right now is the long and short of it. If you watch the UK Video Clip you will note that an Engineer with a PhD has analyzed the three wheel failures he has had on his car and BMW finally paid him 7K Pounds Stirling to stop his investigation and law suit. What does that tell you? I wonder. Anyway I invite you to read all about it here ...

http://whatconsumer.co.uk/forum/cons...racked-up.html

Cheers,

Rolf-Dieter
__________________

Driving mt 2012 /// M3 LMB & Black Leather Interior Fully Loaded
I drove a Z4 35i across the USA in 2010 & loved it.
Somehow I just had to get back into the /// M3 and so I did.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-14-2010, 06:04 PM
Dr Stig Dr Stig is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Australia
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 112
Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35is
Guys,

As a PhD physicist and commercial specialist, I can tell you we have laws in most western civilizations to protect us agaisnt design error and poor manufacturing quality.

Consumer protection laws exist to ensure manufacturers, wholesalers and retailers maintain responsibility for goods sold to the public.

In Oz, we call them our trade practices laws. The most significant portion in this matter are the "fit for purpose" laws.
These not only decree that goods sold must be fit for the purpose they are sold for, which is NOT just to look good as some posters have alluded, but to survive the duties of a sports car in normal driving conditions.

In Oz, these laws go further than just setting a universal bar to be met. Providers of luxury and higher quality goods (even if merely sold under this claim) have to provide quality and durability above what is the norm for a mainstream provider.
In essence, BMW being a premium brand who charge more for the quality of their design and manufacture have to provide greater consumer protection under these laws that does a mainstream maker like GM, Ford or (shudder) Hyundai.

There will always be a case for a warranty to exclude repairs when extreme conditions have been applied to the goods, but potholes, speed humps, etc are normal road conditions.
It will be good business for BMW and the dealers to deny all claims until you force them to respect your consimer rights, as 90+% of the population bends over and takes it without anything more than a whinge over a beer to their mates.

As we say over here: "Sic 'em Rex!"

I bought my rim and tyre insurance to protect me if my wife scrapes the rims on the curb or if I pick up a nail. Not to give BMW a free ride when their rims are not up to the job of coping with everyday driving!
__________________

Dr Stig
Australia
Z4 sDrive 35is
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-14-2010, 07:10 PM
Rolf-Dieter's Avatar
Rolf-Dieter Rolf-Dieter is offline
Alter Peter
Location: North America
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 533
Mein Auto: 2012 ///M3 LMB/Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stig View Post
Guys,

As a PhD physicist and commercial specialist, I can tell you we have laws in most western civilizations to protect us agaisnt design error and poor manufacturing quality.
Thank you for your post it is much appreciated!

Cheers,

Rolf-Dieter
__________________

Driving mt 2012 /// M3 LMB & Black Leather Interior Fully Loaded
I drove a Z4 35i across the USA in 2010 & loved it.
Somehow I just had to get back into the /// M3 and so I did.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-14-2010, 09:04 PM
wag-zhp's Avatar
wag-zhp wag-zhp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Sacramento, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,526
Mein Auto: 97 White 328iC
HerrK and Rolf, Don't get me wrong, I am totally behind you in wanting to see this sorted out and handled by BMW. BMW needs to stand behind their product as it was delivered. If BMW is going to equip their vehicles with rim and tire combinations like this they need to ensure that the product is designed and tested well enough to stand up to real world conditions and stand behind them. I am not faulting anyone that buys a car with 18" or larger rims (my 330i had 18" style 135 rims, they looked great but were very heavy, but at least they had non-RFTs). I am faulting BMW for selling cars with wheel and tire combinations that are too fragile (and people that put aftermarket wheel and tire packages on their cars that have insufficient sidewalls).

Run Flat Tires are a huge contributing factor as the sidewalls are so stiff that they deliver too much of the force from road hazards directly to the rim. (Right at the point of impact, rather than being spread out over a larger portion of the bead section of the rim as a conventional pneumatic tire would.) But the real problem is that the combination of large rims inside the low profile Run Flat Tires just don't have enough cushion to survive poor road conditions. This is a design flaw. I believe this flaw is brought about by a combination of marketing pressure to sell big, sexy looking wheels that are impressive to look at, and consumer demand for the same. I believe that demand is based on the customizing that the street and show crowd perform on their vehicles. While a really big allow wheel with a razor thin side-walled tire wrapped around it looks cool, it is not very practical, performance or survivability wise. Somehow this look has been adopted by the marketing folks at many automakers. Unfortunately, consumers like Rolf, those in the watchdog article (interesting read, by the way), and many others, are feeling the pain for the marketing department's decision.

Rolf, good luck with your efforts. You deserve to be provided with a wheel and tire combination that is up to the task that your car was designed and marketed for. When I hear the phrase "The ultimate driving machine" I don't think of the ultimate driving around carefully so I don't bend a rim machine. I want to be able to drive my car like I stole it every once in a while. And that doesn't mean that I intend to abuse the car or endanger the rest of the population on or near the roadways around me, it just means that I expect the vehicle to be up to the task. I mean, that is why we own them isn't it?
__________________
When it absolutely, positively, has to be destroyed overnight! OohRaah!!!
U. S. M. C.
Semper Fidelis

Last edited by wag-zhp; 08-14-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-15-2010, 05:20 AM
Rolf-Dieter's Avatar
Rolf-Dieter Rolf-Dieter is offline
Alter Peter
Location: North America
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 533
Mein Auto: 2012 ///M3 LMB/Black
wag-zhp

Thank you very much for your follow up. I can see that we are on the same page.

I will keep you informed as to the outcome of my progress with BMW.

Cheers,

Rolf-Dieter
__________________

Driving mt 2012 /// M3 LMB & Black Leather Interior Fully Loaded
I drove a Z4 35i across the USA in 2010 & loved it.
Somehow I just had to get back into the /// M3 and so I did.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-15-2010, 01:44 PM
soberuk soberuk is offline
Registered User
Location: UK
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 11
Mein Auto: Z4 (e89)
glad you made it back safely and hope BMW sort it for you. here in the UK there has been quite a lot of media about the 19 inch wheels, you might already be aware of it but a BBC consumer programme covered the frequent cracking of these alloys and I thought you might be interested http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/...oy_wheels.html
regards
richard
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-15-2010, 05:18 PM
Rolf-Dieter's Avatar
Rolf-Dieter Rolf-Dieter is offline
Alter Peter
Location: North America
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 533
Mein Auto: 2012 ///M3 LMB/Black
Thanks Richard,

The link was pointed out to me and I read all about it when I waited for delivery in my hotel room Quite interesting. As I said I have a fair idea why the rear rims crack. I will address this publicly unless BMW will stand behind there product and repay me for what I paid to get one new wheel ($666- with 24 hour delivery) one more rear wheel that has 2 hairline cracks now and 2 new rear tires that wore only on the inside. I will not take this laying down. Thanks for your post Richard!

Cheers,

Rolf-Dieter

PS I will also get rid of the RFT for 4 years I drove a M3 with 19 inch wheels and standard Michelin Tires, never had a problem with wheels or tires. I wonder what has happened to BMW wheel design between 2002 (year of my M3) and 2009 ....... oh yes of course the RFT
__________________

Driving mt 2012 /// M3 LMB & Black Leather Interior Fully Loaded
I drove a Z4 35i across the USA in 2010 & loved it.
Somehow I just had to get back into the /// M3 and so I did.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-02-2010, 04:16 PM
Sloppy Sloppy is offline
Registered User
Location: SoCal
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 2005 545i
2005 545i w/ cracked rear rim

I stumbled across the site last night and joined after I recently found out that I too have a cracked rim!

I have a 2005 545i w/ sport package 18" rims. I went in to get new tires on Tuesday 31 August and had my Dunlop RFTs replaced with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S +(due to the horrible ride/handling/noise of the Dunlop RFT's).

All went well until I'm driving to work on Weds morning and my low tire sensor comes on. Sure enough my right rear tire is flat. I go back to the tire shop, they air it up, dunk it, and discover a 1/2 inch crack in my rim. Great.

While I'm waiting to get the spare put back on, a guy in a 645i comes in no more than 15 minutes later and guess what..... cracked rear rim. The Discount Tire manager tells both of us that he sees 4-5 cracked BMW rims PER WEEK.

I contact the BMW dealer and they tell me the crack is a "failure due to impact" and that "I must have hit a curb or large pothole"..... WTF????? I think I would remember hitting/running over a curb. BMW is completely unreceptive to the issue that their rims when coupled with RFT's cannot withstand normal daily driving conditions.


BMW needs to make this right. I went to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's "Office of Defects Investigation site" and filed a complaint. I placed the link below if anyone is interested and recommend folks with a similar experience do the same. The only way BMW will make this right is if it gets enough federal government attention.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/


Oh yeah- $600+ dollars later my 545 is back on the road.

Sloppy
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-02-2010, 06:43 PM
Rolf-Dieter's Avatar
Rolf-Dieter Rolf-Dieter is offline
Alter Peter
Location: North America
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 533
Mein Auto: 2012 ///M3 LMB/Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy View Post
I stumbled across the site last night and joined after I recently found out that I too have a cracked rim!

I have a 2005 545i w/ sport package 18" rims. I went in to get new tires on Tuesday 31 August and had my Dunlop RFTs replaced with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S +(due to the horrible ride/handling/noise of the Dunlop RFT's).

All went well until I'm driving to work on Weds morning and my low tire sensor comes on. Sure enough my right rear tire is flat. I go back to the tire shop, they air it up, dunk it, and discover a 1/2 inch crack in my rim. Great.

While I'm waiting to get the spare put back on, a guy in a 645i comes in no more than 15 minutes later and guess what..... cracked rear rim. The Discount Tire manager tells both of us that he sees 4-5 cracked BMW rims PER WEEK.

I contact the BMW dealer and they tell me the crack is a "failure due to impact" and that "I must have hit a curb or large pothole"..... WTF????? I think I would remember hitting/running over a curb. BMW is completely unreceptive to the issue that their rims when coupled with RFT's cannot withstand normal daily driving conditions.


BMW needs to make this right. I went to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's "Office of Defects Investigation site" and filed a complaint. I placed the link below if anyone is interested and recommend folks with a similar experience do the same. The only way BMW will make this right is if it gets enough federal government attention.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/


Oh yeah- $600+ dollars later my 545 is back on the road.

Sloppy
Thanks for your post ...

Have a look here for the latest on my situation and further background

My Up to date Background here

Also here is an old thread that might be of interest to you

More people with cracked wheels
__________________

Driving mt 2012 /// M3 LMB & Black Leather Interior Fully Loaded
I drove a Z4 35i across the USA in 2010 & loved it.
Somehow I just had to get back into the /// M3 and so I did.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-03-2010, 08:28 AM
Sloppy Sloppy is offline
Registered User
Location: SoCal
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Thanks Rolf, there's a wealth of good info in there. I'm interested to see how everything plays out in the UK regarding their current complaints.

I searched the NHTSA Office of Defects complaint page, so far about 4-5 people with 5 Series BMW's have filed complaints regarding cracked rims.

I'll post an update in a few months regarding milage/wear or if I turn up any additional cracked rims after I've had my Michelin non-RFT's on the 545i for a few thousand miles.

Please let me know what the final outcome of your whole ordeal once you hear something. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Sloppy
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-01-2013, 11:12 PM
Durt1 Durt1 is offline
Durt1
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Here are some interesting reads....on BMW and cracked rims.....

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=499268
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=449829
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=591712
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=591712
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=463595
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=708009
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc.../t-449829.html
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=558655
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=668558
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=493168
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=592405
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=644961
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=663275
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc.../t-593109.html
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc.../t-644961.html
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=7197217
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=360483
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=565030
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc.../t-463595.html
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc.../t-663275.html
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=698734
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=453185
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=487828
www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95361
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=5261414
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=276504
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=439499
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc.../t-478511.html
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=688936
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc.../t-688936.html
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=639626
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc.../t-616962.html
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc.../t-435430.html
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=663824
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=586761
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=529972
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=712681
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=438223
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=703457
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=569078
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc...p/t-551688.htm
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=668924
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/tag...mw+cracked+rim
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc.../t-586761.html
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc.../t-462223.html
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=710770
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc...p/t-563320.htm
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc.../t-592405.html
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc.../t-587489.html
...if you need more reading, I have this many again to post...but I am getting tired.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-04-2013, 06:34 AM
mrdeeno mrdeeno is offline
Registered User
Location: Bethlehem, PA
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 12
Mein Auto: Sequoia and Civic
Does anyone know when they updated the 296 style rims so they're less prone to cracking? Is this limited to 2009 models, since most posts I've seen about cracked 296 rims are on 2009 models?
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-04-2013, 08:18 AM
Durt1 Durt1 is offline
Durt1
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durt1 View Post
Here are some interesting reads....on BMW and cracked rims.....

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=499268
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=449829
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=591712
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=591712
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=463595
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=708009
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc.../t-449829.html
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=558655
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=668558
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=493168
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=592405
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=644961
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=663275
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc.../t-593109.html
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc.../t-644961.html
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=7197217
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=360483
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=565030
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc.../t-463595.html
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc.../t-663275.html
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=698734
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=453185
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=487828
www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95361
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=5261414
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=276504
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=439499
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc.../t-478511.html
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=688936
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc.../t-688936.html
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=639626
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc.../t-616962.html
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc.../t-435430.html
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=663824
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=586761
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=529972
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=712681
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=438223
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=703457
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=569078
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc...p/t-551688.htm
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=668924
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/tag...mw+cracked+rim
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc.../t-586761.html
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc.../t-462223.html
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=710770
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc...p/t-563320.htm
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc.../t-592405.html
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc.../t-587489.html
...if you need more reading, I have this many again to post...but I am getting tired.
The above post is mine, but interestingly..it was on another thread....i did not post it here..but it is kinda relevant.

The post above about the laws is great. We did pay a premium and we in turn, should expect it. The insurance isn't a free pass...nor does a 'if ya use low pro tires you will need to replace the rims sooner' relieve them of their responsibility to provide the quality paid for.

I am personally into my 335i for 7 rims and 8 tires. Ugly. The dealer list price for a tire was about $1,000.00 (nut I found them for $650). The funny part is when I wrote BMW Canada, they told me because i took my car out of their dealer network. they couldn't help me. talk about being held hostage. Pay overpriced rates for service and parts, or we won't support your car any more.

At the end of the day....the issue with the rims and BMW is perfectly clear. It's a shame that they have taken the position they have because the car is good. I have the 650 and now the 335i cab, and I will be looking at other options when I go to refresh the fleet. The wife wants the new X3 but unfortunately, I am not prepared to take the risk of the manufacture hanging me with a large bill, nor do I want to pay for insurance to cover a faulty design.

Durt1
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms