Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X6 E71 / E72 (2008 - current)

X6 E71 / E72 (2008 - current)
The newest sport activity vehicle from BMW is a crossover-coupe style and is expected to appear sometime in 2008!

Old 03-12-2013, 09:26 PM

Send a message via ICQ to ikeike
Mein Auto: 2010 5.0 x6
Angry Engine Failure : Reduced power

Hi everyone,

Im new to these forums and this is my first post.
I recently bought a used 2010 x6 5.0 from someone which had around 40,000 miles on it. Yesyerday when i was driving, i suddenly get a "Engine Failure : Reduced power" notice on the dashboard. The power is decreased signficantly but i could still drive it at low speed to my location. I read through the threads and i thought i would restart it and leav it for 1 hour and come back and see my luck if the sign goes away.
When i came back an hour later and turned it on, the sign is still there, and the car is shaking a little. I decide to drive it to the BMW service center so they can work on it in the morning. Just a few hundred meters more, i get the same warning, the car starts shaking and it turns off. There was some sort of smell, and the gas pedal wouldnt work even though the car was on. So i called a recovery truck and had them drop it off to the service center.
My car is out of warranty and now im worried on what might be the issue as i read some nightmare stories . So basically, engine failure sign, car shaking big time, gas pedal not working even when i floor it, its like the gas is not reaching the engine, and some sort of smell. What might it be ? and what might be the cost of fixing it under no warranty ?

Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 04-18-2013, 06:14 AM

Mein Auto: toyota mark II
so brother your problem is solved??
Old 04-18-2013, 06:21 AM

Nop, took it to a local garage. They told me the timing chain skipped, they opened the engine, changed the valves that got in touch with the piston heads, changed gaskets. After that they told me its ok to drive but the rpm will fluctuate a little because the computer needs getting used to the new engine. So while I was driving 15 minuts later, the rpm would violently drop to 0 and go back up every once in a while, until the engiine turned off when I was going at around 100 mph. I took it back and the ecu threw a turbo cooler code, so the garage replaced the turbo radiator, but thenn the ecu threw a throttle code fault, they checked the throttle body and told me it was fine. Eventually they concluded that I have a bad ecu, and they ordered one for me, so that's more $$ have to spend. I'm hoping at least they're right cause I need my car back, its been at the garage for over a month now. The ecu should arrive here by sunday. Fingers crossed.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto: '11 X6 50i; '05 X5 4.4
Damn.... Hate to hear that.. what is the in service date of your car? Any in serice date post April 2009 would still be covered.... Odd someone was able to purchase a 2010 that early in the year.. I didn't think the 2010 X came out until late summer 2009??
Old 04-21-2013, 12:41 AM

i bought it used 2 months ago from some guy. He had 38000 miles on it. He bought it early 2010. Update: My ecu arrived today, the garage dude is going to program it and fingers crossed all goes good.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:33 PM

In the US BMW offers a 4 Year/50,000 Mile bumper to bumper warranty. What is the BMW warranty in Abu Dhabi?
Old 04-21-2013, 08:55 PM

you have the option of 3 years (60 000 KMS) or 5 years (100 000 Kms). The guy i bought the car from had the 3 years warranty, u have to pay a lil more for the 5 year one and i guess he was a cheapskate. The warranty is renewable but this issue happened to me before being be able to do that. I do have the 100,000 KMS service contract still active though.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:21 AM

That sucks that they have a 3YR over there.. Ship it over here and drive it up to a dealer
Old 04-25-2013, 05:05 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X6 35i
Lightbulb

did they check the high pressure fuel pump...!!!!! or did they diagnosing by computer...!!!!
Old 04-26-2013, 09:36 PM

i think they diagnose by computer. why ? update : tried the new dme and its the same problem so its not the dme. I took the car out of the garage and im gonna give it to the dealership, it will ccost much more but at least they know what theyre doing. The car has spent 45 days in that garage, and theyre playing the guessing game.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 3.5d
Sorry to hear of ongoing issues with your X6 but I'm not surprised in the least. After owning 4 bimmers (325iS, X5 3.0L, X5 4.4L, X6 3.5L), same story with me. Problem after problem both during and after warranty and much $$$ poured into each. I have a 2009 X6 3.5L bought new that has 135,400 km now: fuel pump was replaced in warranty; it's been in service for a week now with air conditioner down, oxygen sensor needs to be replaced and gear lock malfunctioning & needs to be replaced. Total cost to be more than $3300 with BMW "goodwill" covering half. I've concluded that reliability is a real issue with bimmers. I empathize with you buddy; no more bimmers for me.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:49 PM

thanks man i had to learn the hard way. I sold my previous 2010 porsche cayman s to drive an x6, and i regret that decision more than anything. I loved that car. Anyways, the dealership ended up changing the DME, the oil level sensor, the fuel injectors (i paid 30%), the alternator and they told me my turbos r bad but can run so i just told them to change them (i paid 30%). Total bill : 8500 USD........i had to take a personal loan to pay that off. This will be my last bimmer.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:59 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X6 35i
Wow...it is too much, i'm lucky that my car still under warranty... BMW always have issue with their engines ...!!!
Old 10-01-2013, 09:23 AM

Mein Auto: X6
Hey, I drive a x6 5.0 2010 too, recently I've been getting the engine fault warning frequently but I would just switch off the car then when I turn it back on its gone, never took it to the dealership but I noticed that through time the warning message just went away, it's been almost 4months that I haven't seen that warning,I guess it's a recurring prob with bmws in our region
Old 10-04-2013, 10:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M5 NOW, M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by F2das View Post
Hey, I drive a x6 5.0 2010 too, recently I've been getting the engine fault warning frequently but I would just switch off the car then when I turn it back on its gone, never took it to the dealership but I noticed that through time the warning message just went away, it's been almost 4months that I haven't seen that warning,I guess it's a recurring prob with bmws in our region
If yours is doing this might want to check the battery these cars get nuts when the battery is dying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikeike View Post
thanks man i had to learn the hard way. I sold my previous 2010 porsche cayman s to drive an x6, and i regret that decision more than anything. I loved that car. Anyways, the dealership ended up changing the DME, the oil level sensor, the fuel injectors (i paid 30%), the alternator and they told me my turbos r bad but can run so i just told them to change them (i paid 30%). Total bill : 8500 USD........i had to take a personal loan to pay that off. This will be my last bimmer.
Don't fret bro you got some bad luck sorry to hear about it I picked up an M5 and if my Tranny goes it would be about 7k just on clutch, flywheel and SMG pump.

Last edited by SuperTerp; 10-04-2013 at 10:14 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:42 AM

Mein Auto: 750li
Engine Failure : Reduced power

This is depressing! So ur X6 had 40k Kms or Miles when this happened?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-30-2013, 04:40 PM

Mein Auto: X6
Engine Failure : Reduced power

So I've recently had this issue too. On a cold start, my CEL would come on and see reduced power warning. Also, I noticed upon startup, my radio would be muted and sometimes my time/date would reset.
I finally got fed up and took my car to the dealer. They said the muted radio and resetting clock was due to my IBS sensor, replacing the sensor and negative battery terminal fixed that issue.
They said my CEL (which my code reader said was a cylinder 5 misfire) was the low pressure fuel sensor. They wanted way too much money to replace it, so I'll buy the sensor and replace it myself come next summer.
Hope this helps anyone diagnose the same issues.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by gq_stylz_s; 11-30-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:00 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 525i
This is why I stick with the classic BMWs. No such problems and excellent reliability. My 1995 525i has a great classic look. Rides super comfy and no major issues. 180,000 miles on the old girl and still running strong
Old 04-10-2014, 02:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 x6 50i
Kind of weird to bump a thread to say such a thing..

Happy for you, but not helpful to anyone who has had this issue.
Old Today, 10:01 AM
Vroom Vroooom

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X5
Speaking of warranties, has anyone looked into extending their warranty through BMW? Not sure if they offer the maintenance extension, but if they did- it might be worth it. I've got a 2011, which goes out of warranty in December of this year. I had purchased an aftermarket warranty on my X5 which came in handy to replace an ignition coil, air compressor and AC system.