Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 Z4 35i, 2013 535iGT
iPhone heating up

Really enjoying listening to Pandora over BMW apps with my iPhone 4S. I use the USB cable in the center glove box. However, I notice the phone gets very hot. Anyone else seeing this?
Ads by Google
Old 08-10-2013, 12:54 PM

Mein Auto: F10 528i xDrive
iPhone heating up

It's normal because it is also charging the phone. I wouldn't worry about it, mine gets hot whether charging at home or in the car.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-10-2013, 01:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 740 Li
iPhone heating up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwolfe31 View Post
Really enjoying listening to Pandora over BMW apps with my iPhone 4S. I use the USB cable in the center glove box. However, I notice the phone gets very hot. Anyone else seeing this?
I had this, and didn't think much of it until my phone started to refuse to turn itself off, and was having problems holding a charge. I took it in to the Apple store and they said the battery started to swell so they exchanged it. I attributed the battery swelling to it being constantly "plugged in" in the center console... Something to think about! Tim.

2013 740 Li
2007 G35 (trade-in)
2003 Z06 (Black, 50th Anniversary)
2001 Z06 (Torch Red)
Old 08-10-2013, 03:33 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
Some devices have an internal switch to disconnect the charge current when they're fully charged, some chargers sense the level and drop the charge, and if neither one does, it can get overcharged...depends on the current level.

I know that my Nokia has an internal switch, and will not take any further current once fully charged. It switches itself internally periodically to keep it topped off, but does not accept current constantly. As a result, it should not overcharge itself. I do not know how the iPhone works, but it sounds like neither the phone nor the charging station are shutting themselves off without issues.

If the phone is being used for the internet connection, that produces a fair amount of heat in itself, especially if the signal strength isn't very high, the phone's amplifiers have a decent amount of heat.

Last edited by jadnashuanh; 08-10-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 Z4 35i, 2013 535iGT
I thought it might be the charging, but it remains hot even when it shows 100% charged. Maybe there is an issue with the charger not operating properly.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i GT
The phone is supposed to regulate when to take a charge and when to cut itself off. When the battery gets close to a full charge, it will go into a trickle mode to get close to 100% but not go over. If you do a quick search, there is a lot of information about how iphone charging works. I think there is a whole nerd culture backed by engineers that obsess over rechargeable batteries and the science behind how to get the most efficient charge possible. This is not unlike the nerd culture here at Bimmerfest that allows ppl to congregate, share and learn the most possible about their wonderful cars.

I'm not an expert about iPhones, but I know that when the signal strength is low, the phone has to use more power to maintain pulling down data to feed your pandora app. This exercise, combined with the battery charging, can cause the phone to generate a lot of heat.

Plus, if you have a case on the phone and keep it in the console, all of these conditions could create the perfect storm for your phone to over-heat. Sounds like Popoemt had a defective battery and is hopefully unique to her situation.

A disappointing function of the BMW apps is that the user must have that app open on the phone in order for the car to use it. So if I have pandora running and I receive an email or text message, my wife cannot check my messages for me without having the music cut off. Does anyone know any way around this?

I'm thinking of bringing in my old deactivated iphone 4, setup my iphone 5 as a hotspot and have pandora run on the 4 so that I can still have full access to my 5. Seems like an unnecessary iphone daisy chain just to get this to work in a luxury car...
Old 10-02-2013, 10:51 AM

Mein Auto: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungryninja View Post
I'm thinking of bringing in my old deactivated iphone 4, setup my iphone 5 as a hotspot and have pandora run on the 4 so that I can still have full access to my 5. Seems like an unnecessary iphone daisy chain just to get this to work in a luxury car...
Ok now that is pretty funny and sad.....but the reality. how long before BMW supports the 5? Months? probably....
Old 10-02-2013, 01:40 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
Having the phone in the console means it is being shielded by a lot of the car's structure. If you opt for the phone specific cradle, it not only charges the phone, but couples the antenna to the vehicle's external cell phone antenna, thus giving it the best possible signal strength, which should minimize the heat buildup. It might be worth looking at, especially if you often drive in marginal cellphone coverage areas.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i GT M Sport
This is the exact case for the cradle that many pooh-pooh for it's $250 price tag. By extending the phone's radio antenna to use the Shark Fin, it keeps the phone from boosting the gain when it detects poor signal inside the armrest and heating up when you just use the USB cable. The cradle also has fans in it to keep the iPhone cool.

Audi on the other hand just has a USB port all the way over in the glove compartment. Kudos to BMW for engineering.

Last edited by ErnestHouse; 10-03-2013 at 04:26 AM.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:53 AM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07 550i, 2009 B8 A4
Not sure if this is a 4 zone climate control feature or not, but our center console storage can become like an icebox when the A/C is set as low as 67 so that my iphone is cold when in there...I'm not 100% certain what vent mode allows that as I haven't done enough experimentation with changing the settings but when we went to a cooler climate and switched the vents it affected the glovebox in that it wasn't being cooled. The cold storage was a pleasant surprise as I like my Oreo cookies to be cold when eating them ;-)
Old 10-03-2013, 06:10 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by daders View Post
...The cold storage was a pleasant surprise as I like my Oreo cookies to be cold when eating them ;-)
That would be the o-rheostat value. I believe it's in the iDrive menu under Fuel Settings.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:35 AM
There is no spoon

iPhone heating up

Haha!! NERD ALERT!! My wife said she's glad she hasn't met the people I speak with here as she couldn't handle that many people like me :-o

Not sure how to take that...I need another cold Oreo.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:43 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535xi GT
Re: iPhone heating up

daders, She doesn't realize that you and your fellow GT forum dwellers are exceedingly well bred, and steeped in good taste for a fine BMW model as well as their choice of ladies in their lives?

Old 10-04-2013, 10:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i GT
iPhone heating up

Quote:
Originally Posted by daders View Post
Haha!! NERD ALERT!! My wife said she's glad she hasn't met the people I speak with here as she couldn't handle that many people like me :-o

Not sure how to take that...I need another cold Oreo.

Unpublished GT feature...Oreo chiller. Brilliant!

But wait, do you have a stash of Oreos in the console, or do you bring Oreos with you every time you get in the car?

Old 10-05-2013, 04:44 AM

I'd say this thread is officially OFF-TOPIC.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:55 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 535xi GT
iPhone heating up

It was daders' fault. He started it!

Old 10-05-2013, 07:03 PM
There is no spoon

iPhone heating up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnestHouse View Post
I'd say this thread is officially OFF-TOPIC.
BOOOO!!!

No Oreo stash in the car, they stay in the fridge! And to get back on track (thanks Ernest aka DAD!) I have iphone 5 that has intermittent heating while using apps, making calls, etc and definitely while charging if it is not in my Oreo cooler ;-)

I'm waiting on a new screen as I dropped mine recently and decided to also buy a new battery so I'll update if the heat issue persists after installing a new battery. Unfortunately it will be a while as I didn't check eBay shipping address when ordering and for some screwy reason it didn't make my new billing address my shipping when I changed it (almost 2 yrs ago now so USPS fwd already inactive). So the screen is being returned to sender...in China.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:15 PM
There is no spoon

iPhone heating up

A possibility that I read about is that perhaps due to the fact the phone is shielded it is boosting antenna power for reception purposes, thus causing the heating you are feeling. This was from the F30 forum with people discussing Bluetooth audio and common statements are that only the iphone attachment (not the BMW cord that utilizes both the usb & round jack) allows use of the vehicle's fin for reception. Not sure if this is true, but sounds plausible.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:16 PM
There is no spoon

iPhone heating up

*by shielded I mean in the car in the center console...

Old 10-05-2013, 07:39 PM

Daders is correct. The $250 cradle has fans that help keep things cool but also enables the sharkfin to help in the reception. When a phone detects bad reception, it increases power to the radio which causes battery drain and increase in heat. SO the cradle helps in both those regards. Everything you'd every want to know about iPhone integration in the 5 series with a heavy emphasis on iPhone 4 is here ... ad nauseum:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...16826#poststop

Last edited by ErnestHouse; 10-10-2013 at 01:11 PM. Reason: fixed url