Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 10-06-2013, 01:00 AM

Mein Auto: e46
Can rain mess up XENON light? e46 2004

Hello,

im thinking since it happend during the storm that the heat from the bottom of the car evaporated steam when passing through the flooded piece of road, could of caused steam when passing through the flooded piece which in turn could of caused the ballast (which i think is outside the unit _near the engine to maybe compromise its seal. Because the inside of headlamp was fogged up a bit. any thoughts?

A few days back it started to rain really hard in my home town. As i was coming back home during local rush hour traffic, my e46 had to go through a flooded part of the road. Moments later the indicator light went on inside the dash and i noticed the passenger Xenon was no longer working. I checked the fuses...labled LIGHT MODULE, 2 fuses, both are fine.

I did research on the boards....

and i performed a series of tests as indicated. For one I placed the bulb from the Bad side on the working side (driver), and bulb lighted fine. Second, i put the ignitor from the BAD side onto the working side (driver), again worked fine. That leaves the ballast.

but ive read about small wiring, rear ground, ect

any suggestions??

Last edited by e46usa; 10-06-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 10-06-2013, 05:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i
Ignitor is inside the headlight, so you have to remove and completely disassemble it to retrieve the ignitor. So I think you swapped a ballast, not ignitor. And yes, I guess the ignitor would be a last thing I check.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yurekk View Post
Ignitor is inside the headlight, so you have to remove and completely disassemble it to retrieve the ignitor. So I think you swapped a ballast, not ignitor. And yes, I guess the ignitor would be a last thing I check.
You only have to remove the back cover and pull the bulb. The ignitor is part of the bulb.

Just replace the bulb. I would recommend you do it as a set. The new bulb may not match the old bulb in color.

I would first try and find the source of the leak though. I think it's safe to assume the bulb shorted due to exposure to moisture. Make sure the back cover has a good seal, if not buy a new one. If your lights are adaptive, check the seals around the AHL modules.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | H&R Coilovers | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine Type-R 1242D | JL 500/1 | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |

Last edited by fdriller9; 10-06-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:

Hello... When I thought to be the igniter is the red and black little box pictured above. I removed this from a little compartment above the headlampbox in which he connects directly to the bulb. I took this from the badside and connected it into the good side in the HID fired up fine. I was under the impression that the ballast was a bigger larger metal box that was buried underneath the headlamp. Please advise
Old 10-06-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
You only have to remove the back cover and pull the bulb. The ignitor is part of the bulb.

Just replace the bulb. I would recommend you do it as a set. The new bulb may not match the old bulb in color.

I would first try and find the source of the leak though. I think it's safe to assume the bulb shorted due to exposure to moisture. Make sure the back cover has a good seal, if not buy a new one. If your lights are adaptive, check the seals around the AHL modules.
Hello, well thanks for but i tested the bulb from the side thats not working over to the side that isworking and it fired up..so its safe to assume that it is not the bulb. Any other suggestions? Thanks
Old 10-06-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post

Well, when I was saying ignitor I was referring to this part 63126907504. It is called ignitor. Here it is on ECS http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-325...ghts/ES172725/

And this is the part I replaced on my car when xenon went out. I also swapped bulbs, then ballasts before buying it. None of which helped so I ordered and replaced the ignitor and the problem was fixed.

Last edited by Yurekk; 10-06-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46usa View Post

Hello... When I thought to be the igniter is the red and black little box pictured above. I removed this from a little compartment above the headlampbox in which he connects directly to the bulb. I took this from the badside and connected it into the good side in the HID fired up fine. I was under the impression that the ballast was a bigger larger metal box that was buried underneath the headlamp. Please advise
I guess you have pre-facelift, right? On facelift cars this part is buried inside the headlight and to get it out you literally need to completely disassemble the entire thing. So if you swapped it along with bulbs and everything works then it leaves a ballast. Try swapping it.

Last edited by Yurekk; 10-06-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Sorry guys. I completely forgot this is the E46 forum. I was referring to a E9x setup which is different than the E46 models.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | H&R Coilovers | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine Type-R 1242D | JL 500/1 | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 10-09-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
I guess you have pre-facelift, right? On facelift cars this part is buried inside the headlight and to get it out you literally need to completely disassemble the entire thing. So if you swapped it along with bulbs and everything works then it leaves a ballast. Try swapping it.
Yes, prefacelift. The unit is easy to get to. The hard part is the ballast buried under the headlight box.