Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 10-06-2013, 09:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 e46 320i
transmission fluid leak [front]

hi thanks to those who helped with information on servicing my zf 5hp19. the saevice went very well.since it has developed a leak in the front of the transmission. at 200ki probably did not catch it in time. however i thrive on diy,can any body point me to someone who has done a write up on transmission removal and seal replacement. apart from the fluid loss, the transmission is quiet and responsive. also i have a haynes repair manuel, this helpfull but inconclusive,could anyone recomend a better manuel. thanks to those who posted info,this has been invaluable.
Advertisement
Old 10-07-2013, 06:24 AM
You can call me Bill

Mein Auto: 2001 325i
Can't help with a manual or anything like that, I had mine replaced at a transmission shop. Mine was leaking from the bell housing thing that looked like a doughnut, and only under load, so the shop could never find the leak while on the lift. The inside of my bell housing was scrubbed clean from all the fluid sloshing out of it.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 325i
Re: transmission fluid leak [front]

As far as a repair manual, get a Bentley.

Is your tranny an auto or manual? If its a manual, it might be a rear main seal, especially since you say it's from the front of the tranny. Are you sure it's tranny fluid and not motor oil?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-09-2013, 03:05 PM

thanks for the reply, sorry i wasnt specific.my bad.its an auto,zf 5hp19. its definately transmission fluid.on a test drive, after servicing it went positively and quiet. untill the atf [oil] depleted.about 6miles. it dropped a a lot of fluid. the leak was there before i did the service,in foolish hope, i thought the service would solve the problem. thanks again, i would be completly at the mercy of the sharks if not for this site.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:13 PM

thanks for the advice, i took it to a repairer and discovered the front pump [supply unit] seized on the torqe converter. the whole transmision needs to be over hauled.the cost here in australia is $6000. as the transmision has 120k miles on it, i will replace it with a new one. i will try and get one from the good old USA. fer the moment and just for fun i will try and overhaul this tired old transmision myself. i am fascinated with the 5hp19, it is such a tough unit, i want one for an old one tonne ute i am restoring. so the overhaul exercise will be helpful to me even if it fails. i will post my results/failures on the site.this may save someone some money.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:32 PM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmick View Post
thanks for the advice, i took it to a repairer and discovered the front pump [supply unit] seized on the torqe converter. the whole transmision needs to be over hauled.the cost here in australia is $6000. as the transmision has 120k miles on it, i will replace it with a new one. i will try and get one from the good old USA. fer the moment and just for fun i will try and overhaul this tired old transmision myself. i am fascinated with the 5hp19, it is such a tough unit, i want one for an old one tonne ute i am restoring. so the overhaul exercise will be helpful to me even if it fails. i will post my results/failures on the site.this may save someone some money.
Good luck! Trans rebuilding is not for the faint of heart. Please let us know your results.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: '05 BMW 330i
Can 't you find a local shop to rebuild your old one vs new and save maybe half the cost?
'05 Mazda Tribute s AWD - 100,000 miles
Old 11-01-2013, 10:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 330i
I may get heat for this, but, have you checked salvage yards?
The bigger yards are considerably more advanced with their testing and removal than years past.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:34 PM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmaria1 View Post
I may get heat for this, but, have you checked salvage yards?
The bigger yards are considerably more advanced with their testing and removal than years past.
Used is always an option, albeit risky, but so is a manual conversion.