Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E36 M3 (1995-1999)

E36 M3 (1995-1999)

Old 08-22-2013, 05:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 Jeep XJ
M3 with no ribbon/badge on the seats?

Hi all,
It's time for me to stop lurking. I'm looking at an M3 this weekend, with a high likelihood of purchasing. The guy finally sent me interior pictures today, and I notice that there are no M badges/ribbons on the seats, front nor back. The dash has the M badges, the floormats have the M badges, but nothing on the seats. They are not vaders, but I thought all M interiors had the badges on the seats?

My concern is that there could have been an interior swap at some point, which makes me wonder what else isn't stock. Is it unheard of to find an M3 without M badging on the seats?

Thanks!!
Ads by Google
Old 08-22-2013, 09:05 PM

Mein Auto: 99 Cosmos E36 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDonkinator View Post
Hi all,
It's time for me to stop lurking. I'm looking at an M3 this weekend, with a high likelihood of purchasing. The guy finally sent me interior pictures today, and I notice that there are no M badges/ribbons on the seats, front nor back. The dash has the M badges, the floormats have the M badges, but nothing on the seats. They are not vaders, but I thought all M interiors had the badges on the seats?

My concern is that there could have been an interior swap at some point, which makes me wonder what else isn't stock. Is it unheard of to find an M3 without M badging on the seats?

Thanks!!
I joined just to answer your question, lol. I'm active on bimmerforums and a tiny bit on m3forums but any, your ques is this. First off only the "sport" package (non lux) M3 had Vader's, they also had the twist side skirts and mesh grill where as lux had the wood grain non vader interior (sport seats) straight side skirt and slats across the lower grill. Now it's been awhile but I do know a few years they ran out of seats with the stitching from the supplier so what they did was installed sport seats and the headrests should have the /// stripes instead of being on the seat itself. It's been awhile since I read into it but thats basically what happened. You can easily verify if you have a legit M3 from the vin, they all start with WBSB, you can check the motor to make sure it says BMW M POWER, etc...
Old 08-23-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill990 View Post
Now it's been awhile but I do know a few years they ran out of seats with the stitching from the supplier so what they did was installed sport seats and the headrests should have the /// stripes instead of being on the seat itself.
Thanks for the response. That's definitely interesting.

I think I let on that I suspected the car wasn't a true M3, and that's not really what I meant. However, I did use that bit of info you provided about the VIN and confirmed that it starts with WBSB. That's an awesome piece of knowledge. It also definitely has the M Power motor.

My concern is just that it seems odd that there are no stripes on the seats. I guess it's not that big of a deal, I'm just hoping to be thorough before I make a long drive to check it out in person.

I've attached some pictures of the seats.

Thank you again for the info!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2pic driverseat.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	393132   Click image for larger version

Name:	18pic rearseatssunroof.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	393133  
Old 08-23-2013, 09:49 AM

Mein Auto: 99 Cosmos E36 M3 Coupe
http://www.bmwmregistry.com/model_faq.php?id=15

That will show you the info to confirm the seat problem. 3/4 of the way down it says exactly about the seat question you had. Now like I said the headrests should have the stripes. I have seen people sell the headrests w stripes so maybe that's what happened to yours. There's cool little bits of info all on e36 m3s. I believe it was the LTW m3 that had red seatbelts. I'd love to own them but when they show up in the classifieds theyre explensive just like other liniment edition things.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:23 AM

Wow. I didn't expect anything with level of detail. You rock wildbill! I'm on the same page as you per the headrests possibly being sold. That's definitely something that I will bring up with the seller. Thank you so much!
Old 08-23-2013, 11:05 AM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
Read this.

Sign up and fill in the last 7 of the VIN here. It will give you a list of installed equipment on that car.

Welcome to the 'Fest!

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Old 08-23-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petriej View Post
Read this.

Sign up and fill in the last 7 of the VIN here. It will give you a list of installed equipment on that car.

Welcome to the 'Fest!
It just keeps coming. I had read the 'buying an E36' thread, but now I've printed it to study further while on the road. I printed the spec per VIN thanks to your link there. I've also printed the BMWRegistry page from wildbill's link. I'm headed north in the AM to check it out, and hope to own an M3 before tomorrow is over.

You guys rock. Thanks for all of the help.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:29 PM

Mein Auto: M3, 335xi, X5 4.8
So? Did you get her?

All Space Grey
Old 08-24-2013, 09:53 PM

Yep. Just got back. I'll post her up tomorrow.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:33 AM

113K Miles. 5 Speed. Fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	393512  
Old 08-26-2013, 09:48 AM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
Awesome! This is what this community is all about!

Post an introduction thread with more pics in the regular E36 forum.

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Old 08-28-2013, 06:06 PM

Mein Auto: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill990 View Post
You can easily verify if you have a legit M3 from the vin, they all start with WBSB
for any lurkers....there's two legit M3 vins

WBSC for sedans, WBSB is coupe and verts
Old 10-06-2013, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: M3
E36 M3 Luxury Package

I, too, have just purchased a cosmos 97 M3 sedan. Was also wondering about the lack of badges on the seat. I contacted the previous (1st) owner, and he said that BMW removed all seat badges for e36 m3 sedans with luxury pkg. if you have rosewood trim all over, and no seat "m" badges, then this is the "luxury" package.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtech3 View Post
I, too, have just purchased a cosmos 97 M3 sedan. Was also wondering about the lack of badges on the seat. I contacted the previous (1st) owner, and he said that BMW removed all seat badges for e36 m3 sedans with luxury pkg. if you have rosewood trim all over, and no seat "m" badges, then this is the "luxury" package.
That's great info, thank you!

For the rest in attendance, I still haven't done an intro thread, but the M has been under the knife. Replaced the cooling system (thermostat, radiator, water pump) so far. Need to replace the brake light switch before I take it on a roadtrip later this week. I'm eager to get the 'should do' items out of the way, so I can start on the 'want to do' items.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 96 M3 / 99 K1200RS
I have a 96 M3 and the seats were like this when I bought it not long ago.
Not sure on history or PO(s) but the seats look like they weren't recovered and have original wear.
The rears have no M stripes either.

Also has the twist side skirts,
though I know it sat a while and they sold the mirrors and front bumper
they were replace with regular 3 series mirrors and bumper

Did a few things once I got it:
new tires and brakes. valve cover gasket. ASC TB delete, upgraded stereo, chrome to black kidney grills, yellow fogs, clear to amber signals, and a few other things.
I'd like to go back to the contour style M3 rims, M3 mirrors and front bumper. But those are just cosmetic so no big deal.
Had to swap another 5 spd tranny since 2nd was grinding. Runs great with only 147k miles.

I was thinking of painting the rims red, after seeing this:

Last edited by Bimmerman4ever; 07-08-2014 at 08:59 AM.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 E36M/4
Regarding the seats. The vaders look to have been covered in the center section where the M-spripes were. On the original covers, the ribs were more pillowed.

The picture of the OP seats look like the seats used when the Napa Leather with the M stripes ran out for the M3 sedans in 1998, but this is a coupe, so I'm going to guess the seats were replaced with ones from an E36 w/ sport leather. The Luxury Package cars have distinct leather pattern in the door panels.

The Luxury Package M3 seats had more robust, higher quality leather than the standard E36. The Standard M3 leather was Napa, which is soft and supple but wears and wrinkles easily. The Luxury seats wore better and may have been callled Dakota leather as opposed to Montana, which is more course and commonly used on the 3 series now. The leather used on the seats when the Napa ran out was the standard E36 leather. The shade of grey color was slightly lighter than the M Napa.