Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 10-07-2013, 12:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 330ci
Shark chip: "smoother" engine?

I've read scores of threads about chips, but there's one issue I can't seem to answer from them: many posts say that a shark chip makes the engine more "smooth," and many say it provides a faster throttle response. Are these the same thing, or is there a difference?

I don't care much about the rev limit or the top speed, I have enough horsepower, and I'm already getting a pedalbox for throttle response. I'm wondering whether a shark chip adds anything other than improved throttle response, horsepower gain, and a higher rev limit.

In short, what does it mean to say the chip makes the engine more "smooth", aside from throttle response?

Thanks --
Ads by Google
Old 10-07-2013, 12:45 PM
TMS

Mein Auto: BMW
Mine has been in the car so long (Dec 2003) I can barely remember what the car was like without it, but more linear throttle response would be closer to the effect. Straight line rather than a curve to represent the throttle feel. Pros: throttle response is improved, the 500rpm redline increase is useful for autoX or the track, and it blows clean enough to pass CA smog with it in place (and nothing visible to fail the visual inspection). Cons: it produces a trivial horsepower gain and costs $400.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
Mine has been in the car so long (Dec 2003) I can barely remember what the car was like without it, but more linear throttle response would be closer to the effect. Straight line rather than a curve to represent the throttle feel. Pros: throttle response is improved, the 500rpm redline increase is useful for autoX or the track, and it blows clean enough to pass CA smog with it in place (and nothing visible to fail the visual inspection). Cons: it produces a trivial horsepower gain and costs $400.
Yes, it sounds like linear throttle response is the term I need here. Can you help me understand what it means for the throttle response to be linear? I'm new to this, and I've googled that phrase, but couldn't find a clear explanation. Thanks --
Old 10-08-2013, 06:27 PM
TMS

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Davis View Post
Yes, it sounds like linear throttle response is the term I need here. Can you help me understand what it means for the throttle response to be linear? I'm new to this, and I've googled that phrase, but couldn't find a clear explanation. Thanks --
On-off switch vs a delayed response (straight line to the throttle response, i.e.: linear, vs. a curve). I can't describe it better than that.

Frankly if I had to do it again, I probably wouldn't. The only feature I truly find useful is the raised rev limiter, but I participate in autocross and I have started tracking the car and both of those activities provide opportunities where holding a gear is preferred to upshifting. If you're looking for more power from your E46, sell it and buy a more powerful car. Or train yourself to be faster with what you've got.

Last edited by Cliff; 10-08-2013 at 06:33 PM.