Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-12-2012, 10:06 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Cool stone chips on paint

Hi. Does anybody have a suggestion on how to repair or avoid chips on the front of the hood? I have the arctic blue color and I don't want to screw up the paint job by just putting on some touch up paint. I have also heard the touch up paint from the dealership doesn't exactly match the color of the car sometimes. I hope that is not the case if I have to go with touch up paint.
Advertisement
Old 10-13-2012, 07:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
Avoid = clear bra.

Touch up rarely matches exactly, some colors are easier than other, I have tried things like Dr. Colorchip and Langka and they really are not worth the money. It is really just patience and a fine brush. 3M makes a decent chip repair kit which comes with a fiberglass tip pen to clean out the chips without affecting the pain around the area, then you just fill with a fine brush a layer at a time until you get it to the high of the surrounding paint. Some people are ok with that, otherwise you then use the 3M kit to sand it flush with the surrounding paint and then buff it out to make it perfect - if the paint matches really well, that can make it pretty much invisible, if the color match is off, it will just look like a minor imperfection close up and be un noticeable from a distance.

Best chip repairs I have found are done by airbrush, if you can find one of those guys, they don't come real cheap, but the airbrush will blend into the surrounding area and look nearly perfect, but it an get expensive.

Good luck with fixing them!

This is what I use, comes with everything you need except the touch up paint and a drill for the buffing pads. http://www.aprefinish.com/shopexd.asp?id=32531

Last edited by roadkillrob; 10-13-2012 at 07:35 AM.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:24 AM

Mein Auto: 530i
for small chips I have luck with dealer-purchased touch-up paint and a tootpick...infilling the chip with the slightest amount of paint. It's not perfect, but pretty close and far better than the chip (esp on dark colors).
Old 10-13-2012, 12:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 E92; '07Lexus GS350
I bought a bra from the dealer and had it installed when I picked up the car on 3-1-10 (had a 30+ mile freeway drive home). I only remove it when the car gets washed. After 13k miles, to include a 6k mile cross-country trip, the front of the car is flawless. FWIW, I've had bras on all my cars except the Lexus for over 10 years. A bra wasn't made for the Lexus when I bought it, and the results are obvious.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:43 PM

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsrad View Post
Hi. Does anybody have a suggestion on how to repair or avoid chips on the front of the hood? I have the arctic blue color and I don't want to screw up the paint job by just putting on some touch up paint. I have also heard the touch up paint from the dealership doesn't exactly match the color of the car sometimes. I hope that is not the case if I have to go with touch up paint.
My experience with Dr. Colorchip is different than other posters. I have used it on multiple cars (all black) and I'm pleased with the results. You can either search for a "professional" installer in your area, or order a kit for DIY.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 10-07-2013, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: 328i
I ended up repainting the entire hood of the car for $500. It looks perfect now after the re-paint. If you do this make sure you go to a professional painter and ask them to get the paint from BWW and use the best quality primer and clear coat. I am really happy with the results as it got rid off all the stone chips and the color matches exactly.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsrad View Post
I ended up repainting the entire hood of the car for $500. It looks perfect now after the re-paint. If you do this make sure you go to a professional painter and ask them to get the paint from BWW and use the best quality primer and clear coat. I am really happy with the results as it got rid off all the stone chips and the color matches exactly.
now you need to get the 3M spray on protector, or go to a shop and put the clear plastic sheeting on, or you will end up with more stone chips
Old 10-07-2013, 08:58 AM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
I've used Dr.Colorchip twice and I can say it's made a difference. Keep in mind, the point is to prevent rust. I find that I've gotten a very good match on all of my Dr.Colorchip encounters. It's probably one of the best preventive maintenance products on the market
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:27 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Robin128
Mein Auto: 335i auto, Volvo T5 man
If there is any dent get it removed...it amplifies all blemishes.

Scrape out all rust with sharp knife...do not disturb good paint. Go at this VERY sparingly.

Build up height, no overlapping, using tiny paint brush, then paint and finish with clear coat...but VERY sparingly...otherwise...re-spray panel and hope it matches rest of car.

Take valium as prescribed or at least half a bottle of Moet and forget about it.

You know where the mark is/was...noone else does, unless you tell them.

One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:56 AM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
stone chips on paint

Once you master the technique Dr. Colorchip can make stone chips disappear,

CA

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 10-07-2013, 01:57 PM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Cheapest way to avoid rock chips is to keep your distance when driving behind someone.

Ever notice drivers who tailgate have extremely pitted front bumpers and those who keep well beyond the safe following distance, have very little chips?

And +1 to Dr. Color chip. There are some chipped on my car I can't even find anymore!

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |

Last edited by fdriller9; 10-07-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:19 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335 xDrive 6MT
I like my dr. colorchip repairs on my BSM e92. It's not perfect, but it's better than the white stone chips on black paint, and it's better than tooth pick + touchup paint, in my opinion. You will end up with a very smooth finish on the touchup, which blends in very well. It looks slightly different than the rest of the paint, but without clear coat what are you going to do instead?

+1 for dr. colorchip if you are going to do it yourself. Otherwise have fun wet sanding.