Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-07-2013, 05:38 PM

Mein Auto: 09 328xdrive
oil indicator showing lower level

Hey guys, I recently got a low oil indicator (said to +1 quart). I bought a quart and added just 3 days ago and the indicator was showing full OK level. I may have driven about 150 miles since then. I checked the oil level again today and it's showing slightly less than the full level - maybe a quarter of a quart less then what it was after I topped it off. I've read other posts that mentioned that certain amount of oil is burned, but at this rate I will have to add a quart in another month or so. I've never noticed any oil spots where I park, so I don't think I'm leaking oil. Also just had it in the service 2 weeks ago for a full check up - I'm assuming they would've spotted leaking oil. Is what I'm noticing normal? I think I'm going to bring it in the service again, but wanted to check if anyone had similar issues. I bought the car certified pre-owned about a year ago it has about 36K on it. Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
Old 10-07-2013, 05:52 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Probably not to worry.

My reading of your add oil description leads me to believe your first warning tripped at a quart or more low.

Now you are reading the indicator (not the warning) and it is not precise ..... 1/4 or so increments.

Keep reading it and I bet you will be fine til the next scheduled oil change.

But do pay attention to the indicator gauge, not waiting for the "idiot light" to come on.

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 10-07-2013, 06:18 PM

Mein Auto: '11 328i
oil indicator showing lower level

There is an underbody "cover" that extends past a good bit of the engine bay. This cover will catch a lot of oil before you see drips on the ground, at least in my experience. Certainly won't hurt to have it checked if you continue to notice the level dropping. Before my last oil leak (yes I've had more than one) I wasn't burning any oil at all.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-07-2013, 06:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
The electronic oil sensor has a personality

The electronic oil sensor has a personality and its not a stable one.
You need to take three reading on three separate drives to get and idea
of what's really happening with your oil level.

Last edited by ctuna; 10-07-2013 at 06:39 PM.