Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-07-2013, 07:22 AM
nsrad nsrad is offline
Registered User
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: 328i
Aluminum dash kit for 328i

Hi,

I have the wood trim dash on my 2009 328i but want to switch to the aluminum trim. Does anybody know what is the best way to do this with a budget under $500?
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 10-07-2013, 07:35 AM
Zooks527's Avatar
Zooks527 Zooks527 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Mansfield, MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,899
Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
For that budget, find someone who wants to trade. Not the easiest task, but potentially doable.

Or, I suppose, offer to swap out the trim with a salvage yard that may have an appropriate car in house. Use some of your $500 budget to make the trade come off with the yard.
__________________
2009 335i xDrive coupe, Jet Black, Black Leather, Grey Poplar, Steptronic, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, iPod/USB, HD radio, Parking Assist. Rear Fogs, Hardwire V1, ProFit G3.
ED May 12, 2009, Munich dropoff May 16, Redelivery June 22, 2009




Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-07-2013, 12:36 PM
bladerunner123 bladerunner123 is offline
Registered User
Location: chicago
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: 328i
If your ever in the chicago area i would be willing to swap my aluminum for wood trim. assuming it would work on my 2011 with idrive. just not willing to risk swapping in the mail only to be disappointed
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-07-2013, 03:33 PM
fdriller9 fdriller9 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ/Philly
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,856
Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
You can find someone to wrap your trim. I did mine in brushed graphite. 3M makes a brushed aluminum too. Not identical to the OEM trim but similar. You can expect to pay around $250 for a professional interior wrap.

You can also try wrapping it yourself. Just google 3M 1080 scotchprint vinyl.

I normally use Fellers but you need to open a wholesale account.

Autovinylsolutions.com is ok too
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2466.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	400941  
__________________

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |

Last edited by fdriller9; 10-07-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-07-2013, 07:22 PM
nsrad nsrad is offline
Registered User
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner123 View Post
If your ever in the chicago area i would be willing to swap my aluminum for wood trim. assuming it would work on my 2011 with idrive. just not willing to risk swapping in the mail only to be disappointed
I don't have idrive so they wouldn't match anyways. Also I have heard that when you take the kit out the plastic which holds it in breaks most of the time so it becomes unusable. I am not sure if that is actually the case, but its what a friend told me. If it does break it would rule out the possibility of doing any kind of a trade.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-07-2013, 07:27 PM
nsrad nsrad is offline
Registered User
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
You can find someone to wrap your trim. I did mine in brushed graphite. 3M makes a brushed aluminum too. Not identical to the OEM trim but similar. You can expect to pay around $250 for a professional interior wrap.

You can also try wrapping it yourself. Just google 3M 1080 scotchprint vinyl.

I normally use Fellers but you need to open a wholesale account.

Autovinylsolutions.com is ok too
Wow your interior looks great. From the picture I would argue the brushed graphite looks better than the brushed aluminum. Did you get it professionally installed? was the price $250 including labor and material? Also did you change the trim on the doors as well?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-07-2013, 07:29 PM
nsrad nsrad is offline
Registered User
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
For that budget, find someone who wants to trade. Not the easiest task, but potentially doable.

Or, I suppose, offer to swap out the trim with a salvage yard that may have an appropriate car in house. Use some of your $500 budget to make the trade come off with the yard.
I actually found someone to trade with but now I am afraid once the kits are taken out they might be unusable due to damage.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-08-2013, 12:46 PM
SilverX3's Avatar
SilverX3 SilverX3 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Australia
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,298
Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
Try wreckers yards
__________________
Residence - StarTrek Enterprise
Job - Captain
Current Starship Fleet:
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-08-2013, 12:57 PM
Zooks527's Avatar
Zooks527 Zooks527 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Mansfield, MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,899
Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsrad View Post
I actually found someone to trade with but now I am afraid once the kits are taken out they might be unusable due to damage.
Well, that's your call. I've popped all of my dash trim off for one reason or another over the past few years with no problems. I will confess to not pulling the center console, nor do I have any desire to do so.
__________________
2009 335i xDrive coupe, Jet Black, Black Leather, Grey Poplar, Steptronic, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, iPod/USB, HD radio, Parking Assist. Rear Fogs, Hardwire V1, ProFit G3.
ED May 12, 2009, Munich dropoff May 16, Redelivery June 22, 2009




Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-09-2013, 07:49 AM
fdriller9 fdriller9 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ/Philly
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,856
Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsrad View Post
Wow your interior looks great. From the picture I would argue the brushed graphite looks better than the brushed aluminum. Did you get it professionally installed? was the price $250 including labor and material? Also did you change the trim on the doors as well?
Thanks. All the interior trim peices are wrapped...center console, door trim, even the rear center console.

I wrap in the side and provide this service so I wrapped it myself. Material cost is about $80. But it takes me about 5 hours to wrap all the peices for e9x interiors.

The trim is held in by plastic/metal friction clips and metal prongs. The trim is stubborn to remove in some areas, but you have a slim chance of damaging anything. Even if one of the clips break, they can be purchased at the dealer for under $1.
__________________

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-09-2013, 02:07 PM
nsrad nsrad is offline
Registered User
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
Thanks. All the interior trim peices are wrapped...center console, door trim, even the rear center console.

I wrap in the side and provide this service so I wrapped it myself. Material cost is about $80. But it takes me about 5 hours to wrap all the peices for e9x interiors.

The trim is held in by plastic/metal friction clips and metal prongs. The trim is stubborn to remove in some areas, but you have a slim chance of damaging anything. Even if one of the clips break, they can be purchased at the dealer for under $1.
Thanks for the reply. Just wondering, if you decide to remove the wrap later will the wood trim be damaged?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-09-2013, 02:21 PM
fdriller9 fdriller9 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ/Philly
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,856
Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsrad View Post
Thanks for the reply. Just wondering, if you decide to remove the wrap later will the wood trim be damaged?
Nope. Besides some left over adhesive, the vinyl comes off cleanly, without damage to the original finish. It can actually double as a protective film.

Some rubbing alcohol or goo gone, etc will remove the left over adhesive right away.
__________________

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-09-2013, 02:39 PM
Ilovemycar Ilovemycar is offline
wooohooo
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,742
Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsrad View Post
I actually found someone to trade with but now I am afraid once the kits are taken out they might be unusable due to damage.
I've taken out trim pieces from both door and dash, it seems quite easy. Center console, I've never touched. My trim removal tool kit was about $5 for a nice variety of shapes, they come in handy more than I expected. Also, the wood trim has a very thick coating on it, it is very durable, you can even machine polish it like you would car paint if you needed to. Brushed aluminum is delicate. I use some Klasse AIO every once in a long while to clean it up pretty good, and sometimes I'll even use polish too.

There was a nice pictorial here some time ago... here ya go...
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...470&highlight=
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms