Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 10-09-2013, 12:48 AM

Mein Auto: F01
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZ4AZ View Post

I still get looks and great comments on my car ALL THE TIME. 3 Series are boring to look at and a dime a dozen.
Glad you said it, everyone and their mother has a 3 series. Hell, I even had TWO! That's why I went with a different car for my third, the F01. Looking forward to picking up a z4.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:30 PM
BMWCCA

Mein Auto: 11 Z4 35is/ED & 12 X3 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcatxx87 View Post
Glad you said it, everyone and their mother has a 3 series. Hell, I even had TWO! That's why I went with a different car for my third, the F01. Looking forward to picking up a z4.
I had two 3 serieses and i thought of buying an M3 for the next. But, when Z4 coupe showed up in 2006. I always wanted roadster, but I was not sure about soft top. That changed my mind, and waited for at least a year, avoided buy the first year model. By the time I was ready to order, E89 style showed up. I fell in love with it. Glad to delay the purchase!
Old 01-29-2014, 08:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 & 2011 Z4
You Bet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK Z435IS View Post
OP- Main reason- its a 2-seater chick car!! Not many chicks can afford one,but if you ask I bet they all would want one.
Hey fellas.. Ladies find this roadster to be SEXY! Guys find women who own them Sexy! And guess what ...Its a SEXY ride... whether your a guy or a girl driving it!
Women find guys driving them sexy too!
So I don't get the 'chick car' label at all!!

I haven't owned my Z4 2011 30i that long but its obvious that both men and women find it to be a beautiful fast looking car.
I work solo in a busy place where my car is parked close by and folks know its mine and let me tell ya... every other person can't help but comment on it and you can see the look of envy in their eyes and this goes for just as many men if not more..as women!
And yes I own a 2nd vehicle that is my transport vehicle.

Also I have had a Z3 3.i 2001 for many years and LOVED that roadster. It too always got tons of attention and altho I am not into all the technical aspects of fast cars, I actually enjoyed driving the Z3 more than I have the Z4.
It felt more responsive and ruggedly sporty. I miss it!
Old 02-19-2014, 08:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW Z4 sDRIVE28i
In my opinion, the car isn't as popular due to practicability and price. Let's face it, roadsters in general are not the most practical cars available - limited space for storage, seating for two, etc. Add a price range that exceeds $50K puts this car into a market that isn't attractive for many.

If this car was cheaper, we would see just as many Z4's on the road as we do Miata's. (I am in NO way comparing this car to a Miata, BTW.)

That said, I have had my '14 Z4 since late Summer and have enjoyed it tremendously. We have two other cars, a '13 Toyota Tundra and a '13 Infiniti G37 Sedan. Without having the two other vehicles available, this car wouldn't be practical with a family of 4 plus two dogs.

My wife calls this car my mid-life crisis. Next December when the lease expires on the Infiniti and the M5 is in the garage parked next to the Z4, then she can claim mid-life crisis.

my .02

2014 Z4 sDrive28i

Old 02-19-2014, 09:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 Z4 3.0 si
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywitte View Post
In my opinion, the car isn't as popular due to practicability and price. Let's face it, roadsters in general are not the most practical cars available - limited space for storage, seating for two, etc. Add a price range that exceeds $50K puts this car into a market that isn't attractive for many.

If this car was cheaper, we would see just as many Z4's on the road as we do Miata's. (I am in NO way comparing this car to a Miata, BTW.)

That said, I have had my '14 Z4 since late Summer and have enjoyed it tremendously. We have two other cars, a '13 Toyota Tundra and a '13 Infiniti G37 Sedan. Without having the two other vehicles available, this car wouldn't be practical with a family of 4 plus two dogs.

My wife calls this car my mid-life crisis. Next December when the lease expires on the Infiniti and the M5 is in the garage parked next to the Z4, then she can claim mid-life crisis.

my .02
It's impractical, expensive and reviews have been good but not great (in general). So we are talking about a very limited audience.
The higher models cost more than a C7 corvette.

Not sure why it sells less than an SLK, as they are fairly comparible in utility/ performance/hard top etc. What I've read gives the MB a slight edge but nothing outstanding. I prefer the Z4 design but to each his own.

the boxster is generally considered a superior performance vehicle. It's selling way more than the Z4 4570 last year vs 2480 of z4. If you're looking at a sdrive35is the boxster can be had for about the same price.

It's a beautiful car, I think with the escalating prices interest has fallen sharply. Maybe time for a refresh

Sent from my SCH-I545 using BimmerApp mobile app

Past: 2012 Audi A6

Last edited by Psychodo; 02-19-2014 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 sDrive35i
I've been seeing a ton of the Atacama Yellow Z4's recently at work (though I believe the color has been disconnected) mixed among new Model S's. It seems like a lot of the original E89 leases have been popping back out CPO. Until recently I often felt like in a typical building garage (say 800 spaces spread on 3 levels) there would only be 1-2 per floor; now the mix seems to be more like 10/level.

It's designed to have this level of popularity.

Sorry I have nothing else to add to the thread that is new, just reiterating:

- luxury roadster product
- 2 seater
- niche product category
- new price banding compared to previous Z4 and Z3's
- designed to be a low-volume vehicle
- in the same price group as other German products that have slightly more volume due to brand perception, image, etc.

I'd argue these things are all part of what makes the E89 such a great ride. Enjoy it!

Past models:
  • 2008 335i ZMT - ZPP ZSP ZCW iDrive CA HD iPod
  • 2006 330i - 5/12/05 European Delivery - ZPP ZSP ZCW iDrive

Last edited by JeffInSeattle; 02-20-2014 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Fixing spacing
Old 03-03-2014, 03:13 AM

Mein Auto:
I believe the price is the big reason. The somewhat poor reviews in the magazines didn't help either.

The previous Z4 wasn't nearly as good looking as this one and it sold twice as much, likely due to the USA place of manufacture.

I personally love this one because of the very pronounced roadster feeling of seating just ahead of the rear axle and the comfort. The previous car was a lot rougher to ride on and the fit and finish wasn't par to this one.

The metal roof also is much more practical for everyday use, and the noise level is excellent, allowing me to have formal business phone calls while driving. But this car can't be driven in the MI winter, even though I've heard of two guys that do it with winter tires on. For me it's just too nice to be trashed on the Detroit roads that are awful, in specially in the winter.

Leo-RochesterMI
2010 30ixDrive Black/Black
Old 03-03-2014, 06:38 PM

Mein Auto: not a Z4 just yet
What does surprise me is that they are selling so many more 6 series. The coupe is essentially just a 2 seater. Wonder how many 6series convertibles BMW sells. To me, although more expensive and somewhat different car, it's in the same "fun drive league" as the Z4.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
What does surprise me is that they are selling so many more 6 series. The coupe is essentially just a 2 seater. Wonder how many 6series convertibles BMW sells. To me, although more expensive and somewhat different car, it's in the same "fun drive league" as the Z4.
Agreed. I looked at getting a 6er instead of my last Z4 CPO purchase. It was going to be $20K more for a comparable CPO and it was still a ragtop (although it did have some other positives). I really enjoy having a car that can effectively be a coupe or a convertible at the touch of a button. Although my e85's were more nimble because they were lighter, I was willing to pay more for the e89 VS the e85.

BTW - JeffinSeattle - that's a great signature pic.

Our family's Bimmers - 3 e89's (one turned in), e90 - 335d and e46 - 325i

Old 07-12-2014, 07:16 AM

Mein Auto:
How often should I change the oil on my 2009 z4 3.0

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-27-2014, 10:12 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 200mph View Post
Consensus seems to be its a lot of money for the car, rather than a lot of car for the money.

When BMW heavily subvented leases in 2011, Z4's flew out the dealership doors. Since then, many would-be buyers made other choices. Magazines ding it for its weight and its price.

Several dealers have told me that its priced a good $10,000 too high (new) to find much of a market here... so many BMW dealers don't stock any, but will be glad to order you one.
^ this. I haven't read all the posts so I may be repeating others. There are two main reasons - BMW over priced this Z4 and they altered the character.

I love the E89 Z4, but it's much more of a cruising roadster than the previous Z4 and Z3. The E85/86 Z4 was a really fun little go cart. And it was significantly less expensive. BMW took the E89 Z4 upmarket from the E85/86 and they priced a lot of those Z4 owners/buyers out of the market. The E85/86 Z4 and the Porsche Boxster were natural competitors. The E89 doesn't compete well with the Boxster.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 07-27-2014 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:38 AM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 SDRIVE35IS
If it's power you want get a dinan tweak. I just did on my 2011 sdrive 35is. The 43 more horsepower in this car make it a real screamer. I love it
Old 08-01-2014, 12:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 Z4iDrive35i
With the right tires and a good tune (2009 35i with Cobb and Michelin PSS), the car is a real sleeper on the road. And it's a real monster on the track. I run mine at the Texas World Speedway. I run slightly larger tires up front and haven't experienced any understeer.

And I am a huge fan of the traditional motor up front, sitting on the back wheels style (started with a '57 Austin Healey 100/6).