Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i GT M Sport
Question What's up with no fog lights on the GT?

I notice Standard, Luxury and Modern lines have fog lights but from avidude's ED pictures, the M-Sport doesn't. The 5 series sedan M-Sport has them. Any ideas on why the GT M-Sport doesn't?
Old 10-08-2013, 07:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i GT Neptune Blue
Seems to be a design trend on sport models. Real M cars don't have fog lights. M sport 7 series don't have them. 3&4 series M sports don't have them. But 5 series still gets them.

Not sure any of it makes sense to me. I think it looks plain without them, cheap plastic inserts where the fog lights should have been, I actually expected LED fog lights since I got the LED package...

ED: Aug 20, 2013
2014 BMW 550-GT M-Sport, Imperial Blue, Mocha Nappa, 20" 303M Wheels, Dyn Handling Pkg, Exec Pkg, LED Lighting, Driver Assist Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, B&O

2011 BMW 550GT Neptune Blue. ED Oct 2010
2008 BMW 550i Monaco Blue
2006 BMW R1200GS-ADV
2000 BMW K1200LTC
Old 10-08-2013, 09:06 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
And, rear fog lights, while standard or at least common elsewhere, are not on US models. But, you can buy a new switch, replace it in a few minutes, and get them should you want - the lights are already there, at least on the GT! I did, ECS Tuning has the switch.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:35 AM
figuring out my iDrive

Mein Auto: '11 535 GT xDrive
Ugh. I use my fogs to turn my headlights (too lazy to move the knob out of auto and too dumb to remember to put it back to auto) on when I'm using my wipers.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:42 PM

Mein Auto: X5 E70
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
And, rear fog lights, while standard or at least common elsewhere, are not on US models. But, you can buy a new switch, replace it in a few minutes, and get them should you want - the lights are already there, at least on the GT! I did, ECS Tuning has the switch.
That's good to know. Thanks for the tip.
How hard is it to remove the trip to get to the switch? Or does it even need to be removed?
I tend to break tabs and other delicate parts unless i have instructions.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i GT M Sport
Do some searching on Rear Fog Light Switch, especially in the 5 series forum. There's some Youtube clips and the whole nine yards on how to do it.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:24 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
The trim is just pushed in place with spring tabs. You don't want to use anything that might scratch the trim or the dash, but it pries straight out easily if you get something underneath an edge. Some have reported they were able to just use their fingernails. I used a plastic trim removal tool...pretty simple. Then, you need a Torx screwdriver. The (really small) connector has a lock, and can be a bit of a pain to remove, but you just remove that, plug it into the new one, screw it back in place, then press the trim back in and it works. It really should take less than 10-minutes, probably less.

Note, just like the front fog lights, the rear ones only come on in certain light switch positions for the main beams. And, they are pretty directional...stand really close and if you're tall, you may not notice them on it the daytime, unless you bend down.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:52 PM

Mein Auto: X5 E70
Quote:
The trim is just pushed in place with spring tabs. You don't want to use anything that might scratch the trim or the dash, but it pries straight out easily if you get something underneath an edge. Some have reported they were able to just use their fingernails. I used a plastic trim removal tool...pretty simple. Then, you need a Torx screwdriver. The (really small) connector has a lock, and can be a bit of a pain to remove, but you just remove that, plug it into the new one, screw it back in place, then press the trim back in and it works. It really should take less than 10-minutes, probably less.

Note, just like the front fog lights, the rear ones only come on in certain light switch positions for the main beams. And, they are pretty directional...stand really close and if you're tall, you may not notice them on it the daytime, unless you bend down.
Thanks a lot
I'll give it a try
Old 11-09-2013, 03:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i GT XDrive
How is the B&O sound system... You're the first person I've seen with it.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:33 AM

Mein Auto: 550
Quote:

I purchased the euro spec switch over on the F10/11 board (quite a bit cheaper than buying new from a vendor) and popped it in - took me less than 3 mins. No trim removal tool required. Just grab the right edge of the trim panel and pull - it comes out very easily and allows you to work your way around the top edge and then the bottom edge and work it out in 30 secs or less... The new switch works perfectly (front fog, rear fog, headlights and interior light dimming).
2010 550 GT Black Sapphire, Active Ventilated Seats, Convenience, Cold Weather, Driver Assistance, Dynamic Handling, Luxury Rear Seating, Premium Sound, Sport, Rear-View Camera, Ceramic Controls, Ski Bag, Side View Camera, Sirius and Triple3_O Coded.