Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 535xi GT
mrblah, yes I learned that when Bemm kindly posted a link to an article in Auto News that outlined BMW's admission that a changeover to new enterprise software (for a parts inventory management system called ATLAS) was the cause of the worldwide parts shortage. This started a week after my accident so I was victim to some bad timing.

The article did not show BMW blaming IBM, the prime contractor, and SAP, the main sub-contractor, (likely for legal reasons) though I suspected as much knowing that SAP is notoriously difficult to implement and then use. BMW was caught out when it was let down by IBM and SAP and led to the comment that, in retrospect, BMW should have laid in extra inventory before the change to the ATLAS in case something didn't work out. That is exactly what happened here. That there was a problem can be understandable but how it is handled is key. It was not handled well at all and announcing what happened months after it occurred and two weeks before its resolution leaves a lot to be desired. All of the BMW drivers affected anywhere (and the dealer and/or body shops) were left in the dark with no feedback. as to what happened and why. My Collision Centre called BMW Canada with no joy and then called BMW in Germany to only receive acknowledgement that the parts I needed were on 'back order' with no expected delivery date provided. That is exactly what happened as the parts just showed up at the 'front door' on separate occasions.

It is small wonder that many, who might have potential interest in owning a BMW and who have heard of this problem and its handling, either in person or via the media, are put off the brand.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue2258 View Post
I have been keeping this to myself being that it is a bit of a buzz kill. My wife and 2 year old daughter were traveling on the highway at an above 80 mph highway speed with one large suit case, one small, and two tote bags. I am providing a mental picture of the load because I always keep in mind that out 550i GT will only allow 1,014lbs of load. I feel stongly that I was not overloaded. We traveled over a swooping dip in the highway. As we leveled off I heard a swoosh to from behind.. Within a few sort seconds we started bouncing instead of gliding down the road.

We are not under factory warranty. We discovered that the passenger side rear air spring/air strut was blown. This component looks like an air bag similar to the one on a heavy truck. It does not look like a traditional spring or shock. It looks more like a marshmellow. It is not the easiest part to acquire on any level in my experience.

We ordered our part May 28th. There were no air springs for 550i GT's available in the US or Europe. 1,200 air springs came available around July 15th in Germany. We hope that our part will be received in the next few days.

Parts availability has great deal of influence in regards to production of new cars. I can only speculate, but if the air spring I was looking for just became available then it is very possible that BMW is just now getting all the components pulled together for production of the GT.

Manufacturers of all types have parts supply issues. I just hope that I do not experience an occurrence of this duration again. I always tell my friends and family that it is "the joy of ownership". I also mention that IMO I will always get the extended warranty so that I have someone on the hook for these types of complications. We have an extra vehicle. A truck that we use for towing and such that we are glad we kept. We just really miss driving our GT at this point.
I have to admit...when I first started reading this story, I was afraid that this was going to be a really grim story about loss of life. Too much hollywood movie brainwashing...

Thank goodness it was just about sloshy suspension! I'm sorry to hear about the failed suspension. Hope this gets resolved soon, considering all of the inventory issues I've been reading about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue2258 View Post
Fish. I could assume that you know this but it should be discussed in regards to insurance payment for damages. I am not sure if you lease or own. Your insurance company or her's in this case is also responsible for the depreciation of you GT now that it has been hit. That type of damage is considered to be major. Your GT will appraise for considerably less considering the damage. When you turn in or trade you GT you truly stand too loose $8-$15k in my estimation. Your dealer may tell you less, but the GT already struggles at trade in and you can bet the people who know what the GT is will deduct it harshly for the damage. Press hard for the loss in value. Your insurance company should assist you, but keep in mind the GT's unique market position, and understand that the insurance company does not understand the market for high end BMW's. I grew up in the automotive industry, and I had a situation similar with our SUV. Best of luck, and so sorry for your troubles.
Man...I wish I would have read this a few weeks ago so that I could use the line that the "GT already struggles at trade in" to bargain for a better price. That, plus all of the additional negative press I'm reading in this thread, would have better prepared me for more leverage with the sales office. Oh well, hindsight is 550...I mean 20/20.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:56 AM

Don't Have A Collision

So, an update. On Tuesday (Monday is Thanksgiving Day in Canada) I get my GT back one day short of exactly 21 weeks from the day of the accident.

You may remember that I had asked (over a month ago) for it to be ready by closing time this past Wednesday. That morning I was informed that it was in for detailing (given how long they had had it) and would be ready possibly Thurs or likely Friday. I asked to take it 'as is' for my trip and return it Tuesday for the detailing only to be told that Onyx. He is a true hero and I dearly hope that some, or preferably all, his vision will return. the work involved paint sealing and it could bot be released.

I was disappointed and my wife is furious. She thinks that i should have had priority for all work at the dealer or at the Collision Center. She believes that any others in my situation screamed and yelled (or are members diplomatic corps here in Canada's capital) to be moved ahead of me in the work queue because I was 'too nice'. I like to believe that the work is following a strict protocol and needs to be done correctly so I get it back as good (or better) than when it left the factory.

Rumour had it that BMW will offer apme type of compensation so I suggested to the Collision Center staff that an additional year on the original warranty would suit me just fine since I missed ao much time with my GT this year.

We are here in DC using my wife's 335 xi but ot would have been nice to have my GT. I haven't caught a lot of breaks but at least the end the odyssey i at hand.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-12-2013, 01:46 PM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07 550i, 2009 B8 A4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish23 View Post
So, an update. On Tuesday (Monday is Thanksgiving Day in Canada) I get my GT back one day short of exactly 21 weeks from the day of the accident.

You may remember that I had asked (over a month ago) for it to be ready by closing time this past Wednesday. That morning I was informed that it was in for detailing (given how long they had had it) and would be ready possibly Thurs or likely Friday. I asked to take it 'as is' for my trip and return it Tuesday for the detailing only to be told that Onyx. He is a true hero and I dearly hope that some, or preferably all, his vision will return. the work involved paint sealing and it could bot be released.

I was disappointed and my wife is furious. She thinks that i should have had priority for all work at the dealer or at the Collision Center. She believes that any others in my situation screamed and yelled (or are members diplomatic corps here in Canada's capital) to be moved ahead of me in the work queue because I was 'too nice'. I like to believe that the work is following a strict protocol and needs to be done correctly so I get it back as good (or better) than when it left the factory.

Rumour had it that BMW will offer apme type of compensation so I suggested to the Collision Center staff that an additional year on the original warranty would suit me just fine since I missed ao much time with my GT this year.

We are here in DC using my wife's 335 xi but ot would have been nice to have my GT. I haven't caught a lot of breaks but at least the end the odyssey i at hand.

Sorry to hear you don't have your GT for your trip. Many times my better half has threatened that the service department does not want to deal with her. Her favorite saying is: I have to be nice to stupid people at work, others aren't so lucky.

In the end I feel more comfortable walking in to a place knowing I have kept my cool when others have not delivered as promised but have yet to figure out how to cocnsistently temper this with firmness to avoid feeling put on the back burner or being taken advantage of...

I hope you receive what you request for compensation. Stay safe on the road!
Old 10-12-2013, 02:42 PM

Don't Have A Collision

daders, Thanks for the supportive e-mail. My better half has never met the service department as I always take her car in. (She has also never, in two years, put any gas in her tank as "she doesn't do gas" even though she knows how to) .

I too try to tow the fine line like you described for the reasons you gave. I don't need to win a 'battle' only to lose the 'war' especially since I don't think I have enough facts to judge. If I could prove that I was pushed lower in priority unfairly due to a pattern of reaaonableness and 'squeekier wheels' did get higher priority and didn' deserve it then I would be angry enough to make a fuss. I am not sure I can prove anything.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:04 PM
There is no spoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish23 View Post
daders, Thanks for the supportive e-mail. My better half has never met the service department as I always take her car in. (She has also never, in two years, put any gas in her tank as "she doesn't do gas" even though she knows how to) .

I too try to tow the fine line like you described for the reasons you gave. I don't need to win a 'battle' only to lose the 'war' especially since I don't think I have enough facts to judge. If I could prove that I was pushed lower in priority unfairly due to a pattern of reaaonableness and 'squeekier wheels' did get higher priority and didn' deserve it then I would be angry enough to make a fuss. I am not sure I can prove anything.

WOW! When we bought our Audi in early 2011 that was the last time she filled up a gas tank and the GT has only reinforced this behaviour! I definitely don't want them exchanging notes...might give each other more ideas, lol!
Every time I played the angry, impatient (italian) guy I always walk away wishing I had thought of something relevant so I leave that gig to the next guy. I find I'm much more astute when I am calm...
Old 10-13-2013, 05:37 AM

Don't Have A Collision

Don't worry, our exchange about this subject 'never happened' as you and I can invoke 'plausible deniability'.
My wife has never driven the GT as she finds it a 'bit big'
even though it is the same width, 4 inches shorter and just a foot longer than the 2007 Santa Fe that I traded in on my GT in March of 2012 (on her birthday no less-this year I bought a spiffy new Toshiba ultrabook on her b'day). She could and did drive the Santa Fe occasionally and I should get her behind the wheel of the GT.

I fully concur with your last para. I don't like making a scene
if I don't know all the facts. I'd rather use logic, reason while being polite and save any outburst for when some idiot driver does something stupid or illegal. That momentary release can be therapeutic .

Old 10-16-2013, 06:46 AM

Today marks 21 weeks since my accident and last evening, I finally was able to drive it home from the Collision Centre. It was in showroom condition, both inside and out, just like when I took delivery in Mar 2012. The newly-painted mud flaps look particularly sharp. In the trips that I have taken, everything has worked just like it did before the accident. I am not feeling euphoric as much as I feel relieved after such a long time. Thanks to all who expressed support,useful information and provided input to a thread I wish I never had had to start.

Here is an iPhone 4 picture (not the best quality) from the right side where the damage occurred. The door and rear quarter panel are new.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Repaired GT.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	402451  
Old 10-16-2013, 08:22 AM
There is no spoon

Glad to hear they have you in good order. On to more important topics...you still have green grass?!?! I would have thought snow or (at very least) dormant grass considering the white out they received in upper Midwest last week. ;-)

Out of curiosity do you know what the final tally was for the repairs?
Old 10-16-2013, 11:58 AM

daders, yes the grass is still green. It usually is here at this time of the year. We have been under a high pressure system for quite a while that has kept the weather quite pleasant, high 60s/low 70s F.(which is above average). I was in DC this past weekend and the weather was horrible. It rained (sometimes Noah's Ark style) off and on the whole time we were there. Didn't see nice weather until driving home and reaching Harrisburg, PA. The jet stream path is exactly why the upper mid-West was hit with snow but we were not affected while basking under the stationary high pressure system.

The bill I received was partially complete as a number of small parts charges were to be added plus a final bill from the dealer's service department. The bill shows $6800 for new parts, $2650 for body labor, $775 for re-finish labor, $600 for mechanical labor, $235 for frame labor, and $415 for glass labor for a total labor charge of about $4300. There is about $700 in various supplies and paint charge for a current total of about $12000 (Canadian, which is about $11,400 in USD). Sales Tax (13%) brings it to about $13,500 CDN. An expensive repair to be sure...........
Old 10-16-2013, 02:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i GT M Sport
Yeah!
Old 03-25-2014, 09:45 AM

This will be the last, albeit a bit lengthy, update in my thread since I have recently finished dealing with BMW on the delay in restoring my GT after my accident and the resultant loss of warranty.
Since I took 're-delivery' I waited a while to see if some offer from BMW was forthcoming. In parallel, I started working on a 'letter' to be submitted by e-mail when it was ready. I did it slowly to try and capture the right tone and tenor of my main message. I also chose to circumvent the normal 'chain of command' by starting with the dealer. Instead I put BMW Germany Customer Service as the main receipient, with info copies to BMW North America Customer service, BMW Canada Customer Service, the dealer's Collision Centre (which was the lead in the restoration) and my CA at the dealer (as a matter of courtesy and to whom I gave a heads-up that I would do so).

I did it this way to signal that I considered none of the info addressees responsible for the long length of time the job entailed and included details of how well the Collision Centre kept me in the loop, and nicely gave me a loaner Subaru and returned my GT exactly as I had first recieved it. Since then, I have had no collision-related issues whatsoever. My e-mail, included a reference to the article for which Bemm kindly provided the link in which the head of BMW Germany described what happened with the change of parts management enterprise software that caused the worldwide parts shortage that affected me. I indicated that at least three months of the time period was due to the flat-out unavailabiity of parts and that fair consideration for me would be a two-for-one extension of my basic warranty, another 6 months past the original basic warranty expiration date at which time the CPO warranty would then kick in.
I recently sent the e-mail (with scans of the adjuster's estimate and the receipt for the day of pickup, both showing the dates) just before leavng for a two-week Caribbean cruise to escape the 'lovely' winter here. Within a few days, BMW North America responded by saying that it could only deal with US-based cases. I acknowledged that but added that the name BMW North America implies that it sits above BMW USA, BMW Canada and BMW Mexico. Clearly it does not, in particular for customer service. Maybe for other aspects of the BMW business it does......but I digress. Shortly thereafter, BMW Canada acknowledged my e-mail and said it was investigating. A few days later I received an e-mail from my dealer's Service Manager acknowledging my original request for the 6 month warranty extension and offering to double it to a year. That was satisfactory to me and I have accepted that offer and now consider the matter closed.

My thanks to all posters in this thread that expressed support and empathy throughout the 21-week duration of the repair. It meant a lot to me in terms of coping with the frustration and keeping some perspective. It is great to be part of such a fine group of GT'ers.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:36 AM

Mein Auto: F07 550ix
Congrats Fish and I am happy to hear you and your GT are out on the streets rolling again

BMW is known to be very accommodating when there is a strong case like yours was. Myself over here in Germany I had only the best experience when I had isuess.

Cheers
Fred
Old 03-25-2014, 11:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i GT
Fish - Looks like we've missed a lot of excitement/stress since October. Sorry to hear about your struggles with customer service. It sounds like things have worked out for you and that BMW has tried to accommodate for your time of going without your luxurious vehicle for so long. I'm sure you wished the whole thing never happened, but now you have additional coverage in what will presumably be the most optimal time that you can truly benefit from the manufacturer's warranty.

It seems like I often hear from long time owners that these high end vehicles will start to fail shortly after the warranty period is over. Cheers to additional coverage while you're enjoying the latter part of owning the GT!
Old 03-25-2014, 08:13 PM
There is no spoon

It is really nice to hear acknowledgement of unacceptability of your unusual situation from corporate. I'm sure it helped that you laid out the sequence of events in a thorough, well-reasoned, unemotional letter explaining your experience. Most important is that you are a happy customer and (to my mind) is really a no-brainer response from a financial and corporate good-will perspective. Thanks for sharing Fish and happy motoring ;-)
Old 03-26-2014, 09:44 PM

Mein Auto: 550i GT
Fish,

Great to hear BMW was willing to assist on the warranty. Nice to know the same dealer we both use is helpful in these cases.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:17 AM

Don't Have A Collision

Ninja, daders and dvansh,

Thanks for your posts. Yes, I was happy to receive acknowledgement of my inconvenience and the extra extension of the warranty though I cannot confirm if BMW Germany was directly involved other than to receive my original e-mail. If it was, it was likely 'silently' and it may have instructed BMW Canada to confirm my details and then make the offer to double my requested warranty extension via the Service Manager at my dealer. In any case, I had expected some resistance (mostly stemming from skepticism with customer service experience in general, not with my dealer) so I was pleasantly surprised at the offer, especially how quickly it happened. I sent my e-mail the morning I left for Florida for my two-week cruise and I had the offer a few days before the ship returned to Fort Lauderdale.

There are a number of posts about the behavior/actions of 'less-than-stellar dealers' in this forum so, as a bit of a counterpoint, here is the main part of the e-mail I received from my dealer's SM:

"I am writing in response to your letter with regard to the parts backorder experience from last summer. I am very sorry that you were required to wait as long as you did to receive the parts required to complete the repairs. I have received a copy of your letter from BMW and have reviewed the entire situation. I completely

understand your frustration and very much appreciate your patience in this difficult situation.

You have indicated in your letter that a warranty extension of six months would be acceptable compensation for the time and inconvenience you experienced in trying to get your

535 GT repaired. We have taken that a step further and with your authorization will extend the warranty not by six months, but by a year. Your new expiration date on the extension would be December 15, 2017."

Last edited by Fish23; 03-28-2014 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 5 Series 330d GT
I must say I was glad and sad to read this post. I went for the top of the line insurance with unlimited car hire and all the other stuff as I felt that an accident could take a while for parts to come in. After all before I even took delivery of the car the local dealer found a issue which required a part and that took 3 weeks, and that's for a brand new car, wait a few years and who knows. Well OK some of you know....

Glad to see people are getting their cars back, and the job seems to be worth the wait.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:10 PM

Don't Have A Collision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timfhothy View Post
did you get an extended warranty with your purchase?[img]http://rich.**********.com/9.jpg

Yes, I had a two-year/100,000 mile CPO warranty since it was an executive-driven vehicle from BMW Canada's regional office in Quebec. The warrantry extension that I was recently given as a result of last yerar's parts shortage was for my basic warranty that includes scheduled maintenance. It was due to expire in Dec 2015 and will now expire in Dec 2016 before the CPO warranty begins.

Last edited by Fish23; 05-21-2014 at 01:47 PM.
Old Yesterday, 02:00 PM

Mein Auto: 228i Mineral White/Terra
I am going through the same issue with my 2014 228i right now. I purchased mine on June 7th and was rear ended on June 30th. It is now been one month and there are 5 parts on back order for a car they are making in droves every day. These parts in total are about $110 and are keeping my $40,000 car from being repaired. It only had 628 miles on it when it was hit and of course, not drivable as over $10000 in damages. The lady who hit me insurance company is paying for my rental as it was 100% her fault. They are renting me a MB C250 which is about $2000 a month. After the repair, my DV claim and the car rental they may end up spending not too much less than what they would have if they totaled it. That is if these parts do not materialize soon. I am not holding my breath. I am thinking September at the earliest but would not be surprised if its October.
Old Yesterday, 05:44 PM

Sorry to learn that you were hit so soon after taking delivery. A real bummer.

Are you using a Certified BMW Collision Center? I did and they tried to source my parts across Canada and even tried in the US. If you are using one, have they tried that as
well? Otherwise you are at the mercy of BMW Germany which never provides a parts ETA unfortunately. If parts are available within North America then usually ETAs are available.

Even if it is the other driver's fault, insurance should not have to foot the rental bill for an uncertain repair date due to a parts availablity issue. A BMW Collision Center should give you a loaner and bill BMW Germany for it.

I note that your accident occurred about two weeks after mine but a year apart (yours on my birthday no less). I cannot see why it will take so long for $110 of parts as the parts inventory management software changeover that 'bit' me has been up and running since last September. Even the overly-generous vacation time Europeans enjoy should not delay the flow of parts to where they're needed.

If you don't get your vehicle back until October then you will be in the same 'time apart' territory as I was. Remember your warranty time clock is ticking while you are waiting even if your odometer is not. I went after BMW Germany for restoration of warranty time plus compensatory time and was successful if you look at my last posts. I'd happily share my e-mail letter on which you could model a similar letter for your case should you decide to pursue a similar path. Just PM me.

One other point - If you are using a BMW Collision Center and when it is finally ready, ask for a Certificate of Restoration as BMW does not repair their cars, they restore them. I have one and keep it with my owner's manual pouch in the glove box.

Good luck and keep us in the loop.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile appo
Old Today, 05:08 AM

Fish23 thanks for your words and help. I actually did read your saga and had already spoken to my wife about it and decided I was going to do something similar, if I did not have my car back in August. I am actually using a BMW certified Collision center. They are also a Nationwide preferred provider, so I will let them squabble over who is paying for my rental Most of the parts were available in the US, some had to be ordered and shipped from Germany and the other 5 parts are on backorder. I would think if the part was available they would be able to get it. The man who owns it is the #1 BMW dealer in the United States. Actually he is the #1 car dealer in the United States period. Rick Hendrick. I can't say for sure if they tried Canada or not. I will be sure to ask about the certificate of restoration. I also hired Auto Damage Experts to help me with my Diminished Value Claim. They went out a did a Pre Inspection before they start fixing it and will do the post inspection before writing up my demand letter and DV Report to submit to Nationwide. I will PM you when I decide to submit a letter to BMW. I already have sent them an email expressing my dissatisfaction with the parts supply chain and the fact that I have not heard from BMW since I bought the car almost 2 months ago. Not even a welcome letter. I was sure to tell them my dealer was wonderful, because they were. I actually purchased my car 110 miles away in SC because they discounted more than Rick Hendrick would at the time.

Last edited by sstarrx3; Today at 05:10 AM.
Old Today, 05:48 AM

It sounds like you have things in hand as well as can be expected and a plan going forward.

Glad to learn that you are using a BMW Collision Centre and that you are involving Auto Damage folks. I don't think we have them here.

It is a shame that you have to wait for parts on back order but if they have sorted out parts supply chain sincr last yearvthey may arrive sooner than you expect. I understand BMW has at least 7 huge warehouses in Germany for parts alone and hopefully it will be able to fill the back order quickly, particularly if those parts are common to other BMW models

The fact that you are not far from the Spartanburg, SC facility may help with transit time if the parts are 'on the shelves' over there and can 'piggy back' a ride on what must be a busy Germany-SC logistics highway. I would ask about sourcing in Canada as they may not have thought about it (but should) even if there is no stock here. I appreciated my Collision Centre trying that via BMW Canada even if it did not work.

I had a copy of the insurance adjuster's estimate for my damage and was amazed at how many parts were involved. Looking back I can almost see why they would not be held anywhere in Canada. I was also impressed at how much work was specified to ensure the frame was not compromised by the collision.

It takes a while to get that letter from, in your case, BMW North America (which is really BMW USA as it does not include Canada or Mexico). BMW Canada eventually sent me mine.

I remember when my collision occurred and the feeling of wanting to choke the living s___t out of the other driver because she desperately deserved it but of course one can't. Did you have a similar feeling, if just momentarily, especially since you had had it for so little time?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile appo
Old Today, 05:57 AM

Fish23, surprisingly I did not get upset with her. I am 46 and the young lady that hit me was 28. It was her first accident. Her car was totaled and I found myself just grateful she was not hurt and that I was not either. She hit me going about 45 miles per hour. I just could not believe how well my car absorbed the punishment. BMW does not play when it comes to safety. I am no patient saint...I cuss at bad drivers like a sailor at the total exasperation of my family when they are in the car with me. In this case I was just grateful.
Old Today, 06:05 AM

Don't Have A Collision

45 mph! Were you stopped? You must have been for her car to be totaled. I agree safety is a BMW feature. I ha no effects with mine either. Thankfully no one was hurt in your incident.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile

Last edited by Fish23; Today at 06:06 AM.