Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 bmw 645ci
Increased Emissions Warning.

I was driving the 6 a couple days ago and got an "Increased Emissions Warning". Wondering if anyone has ever had this problem... My mother took it into my local indy shop and was told I needed a routine BMW check up, replaced spark plugs, radiator cap, and some other small things like oil change and filter. Anyways got the car back and the message is still here. I had my mother take the car back up there (im out of town right now..) and had her show the shop the "Increased Emissions" messgage. Now they tell me I need a new Thermostat? Does this sound right to you guys? Thanks in advance for any input!
Advertisement
Old 11-09-2010, 03:05 PM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
Honestly it sounds like they're placating you to get as much money out of you as possible. But I'm just a cynic.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:12 PM

I think I might agree with you but will this "thermostat" fix my increased emissions problem in the car?
Old 11-09-2010, 03:22 PM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
I had a misfire a week or so ago and the warning lights went away on their own. I did take it into the dealer, however, and they found several faults relating to low battery problems. This tells me I might have a bad alternator. Or I might have some strange draw on power when the vehicle is off. Anyway, my point is these cars have so much integrated together that an obscure problem like the thermostat very well could be the source of the problem you're having, but I'd be suspicious.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:06 PM

Sigh.... Help guys!!!?
Old 11-09-2010, 04:29 PM

Mein Auto: Jet Black e63
I have never heard of a thermostat affecting an emission system. But, as petriej said, many systems work together on these cars.
I still highly doubt it. I would need a huge explanation and promise that the problem will be solved before shelling out my hard-earned cash.

BMW E63 (Jet Black w/Chateau Red Interior, Sport Pkg, Cold Pkg, Nav, Logic 7)
-20" Status 931 Staggered Wheels (Black Lip)
-Continental ExtremeContact DWS XL Tires
-AC Schnitzer Pedals/Footrest
-Lumma Roof Spoiler (Painted)
-50% Smoke Window Tint
-5W Kaibird LED Angel Eyes
-Black Vinyl Corner Overlays
-K&N Air Filter
Old 11-09-2010, 05:39 PM

Mein Auto: '05 645 Convertible
My thermostat was replaced under this error. Did not solve the problem it was a sensor.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:51 PM
Obsessive or Enthusiast?

Mein Auto: 650i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by p00fthedrag0n View Post
Sigh.... Help guys!!!?
is your friend! From what I pulled up from a couple of bimmer forums, it most likely is the O2 sensor. Have them check that first.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:34 PM

Mein Auto: 05 645ci
If you search around this is actually a common problem. The indy shop told you the wrong info. It's likely an o2 sensor issue but try driving around with it and see if it disappears. I believe my dealer told me sometimes it triggers when the car doesn't like the gas you put in. But eventually the warning didn't go away and it was the sensor issue.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:48 AM

Mein Auto: 650i Convertible
There are quite a few posting on this issue and there are many factors that can cause this issue to occur. Unfortunately, I feel that this shop is coming up with the common problems that affect other cars and not up on the 6er models. This is usually a senor problem that may have resulted from bad gas, or just going bad. Do a quick search on here and will should find something.

Previous Cars:
2008 650 Convertible 6 speed manual
2004 645 Convertible 6 speed manual
1994 540 6 speed manual
Old 11-10-2010, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw 645ci
Could be an O2 sensor. My o2 sensor went bad and caused an increased emissions warning light.

Tell the Indy shop you want the OBD2 diagnostic code before any other work is done. Post the code in the forum and i'll tell you what the problem is. The OBD2 code will pinpoint the problem. I purchased an OBD2 code reader. It tells you which part of the engine is malfunctioning based on the code the car throws.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
I got the same message a week ago, took it to the dealer and they found a vacuum leak issue that was contributing to the emissions error message. After getting the vacuum leak resolved ($420) the message was cleared and hasn't shown up since.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:42 PM

Thanks so much for the replies guys! I'm going to let the shop know about the o2 sensor and the vacuum possibility before I fork up $200 for the thermostat.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645 CI
also could be the pcv valve
Old 11-10-2010, 06:16 PM
Greg

Mein Auto: 05 645Ci convertible
My increased emissions was a sensor/pump in the fuel system. I think it has something to do with fuel vapors. My car is under CPO warranty but I don't think it would have been very expensive to repair out of pocket. Sounds like the Indy shop is trying to run up the bill on you...they either KNOW what is wrong or they DON'T. I wouldn't let anyone throw parts and labor at a problem unless they could tell me exactly what the problem is. Good Luck.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 650I
On my 2005 645ci I did have the increase emission light come on and in my case BMW did replace a thermostat. Light has not come back. On for more than 2 years.

On mine 2006 M6 I had the
increase emission light come on and it was for my gas cap not being on tight.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:20 AM

Thanks everyone! Ended up having the thermostat replaced and it solved the problem!
Old 11-12-2010, 11:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 650 Coupe
Quote:
Thanks everyone! Ended up having the thermostat replaced and it solved the problem!
Thank you for circling back with an update.

2012 650 Coupe - Alpine White / Black Interior / M Package / Premium Sound
Previous Bimmers:
2008 650i Convertible - Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown Pearl Leather / Premium Sound / Sport / Cold / Comfort Access / Lane Departure / HD Radio / Sat Radio
2004 645Ci Convertible - Reverse Sensors / Reverse Camera / Retro iPod
2005 545i Sedan
2003 330Ci Convertible
2001 330Ci Coupe
1998 323i Convertible
1995 318i Sedan
Old 11-13-2010, 04:58 PM

Thanks for the input!
Old 11-13-2010, 07:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by feriors View Post
If you search around this is actually a common problem. The indy shop told you the wrong info. It's likely an o2 sensor issue but try driving around with it and see if it disappears. I believe my dealer told me sometimes it triggers when the car doesn't like the gas you put in. But eventually the warning didn't go away and it was the sensor issue.
Hey Feriors, are the kidney grills matte black or gloss to match the paint? Looks real good.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:00 AM

Mein Auto: 645 csi auto
645 emmissions warning light

Quote:
I was driving the 6 a couple days ago and got an "Increased Emissions Warning". Wondering if anyone has ever had this problem... My mother took it into my local indy shop and was told I needed a routine BMW check up, replaced spark plugs, radiator cap, and some other small things like oil change and filter. Anyways got the car back and the message is still here. I had my mother take the car back up there (im out of town right now..) and had her show the shop the "Increased Emissions" messgage. Now they tell me I need a new Thermostat? Does this sound right to you guys? Thanks in advance for any input!
RIGHT ! NOW THEN JUST LISTEN TO THIS. I have seen other links re this. I kept getting this light on and when I did the car seemed to want to shut down and it felt as though it was running on 3 cylinders and shook and somtimes stopped. I now turn the ignition off, give it a few mins and start up again and off we go, untill next time which might happen when cold or when doing 70 in the o/side lane on a motorway.
SO ! I took it to my No.1 Private Auto Electrician who informed me that he didnt think it was Electrical although several pots showed MISS FIRES !! (I initially thought my problem was either coils or plugs and was prepared to replace both)
His diagnosis was STICKING VALVES }?? He told me to fill engine with FLUSHING OIL and run it down a motorway for 30 miles. The problem with this car is that even when doing 70mph it never revs. over 2000. I THINK THIS IS OUR PROBLEM. Our engines are CHOKED UP cus they are NEVER EVER driven as they were designed to.(What on earth do we need 4.5Ltrs for) These cars are for RACING and we dont!! When was the last time you saw your Rev. Counted at 5000 revs.?? It just does not happen due to the FANTASTIC Gear Box we have.
So i took it for a 30 mile run and drove it IN MANUAL. Putting it in 2nd and 3rd and let the engine rev. for long periods at around 4000 & 5000 Revs. and then drained the FLUSHING OIL out while RED HOT and changed the filter and filled with FULLY SYNTHETIC OIL.
SO FAR EVERYTHING IS GREAT (after 2 weeks) but it could go for 2 wks before!!
Fingers are now CROSSED but the Information given to me by my Electrician MADE GOOD SENCE.
The moral of this is that we should have NEVER EVER bought a 4.5Ltr. Perhaps the 3Ltr should have been the one we should have bought CUS I LOVE THIS CAR. ITS SHAPE, ITS SEATING POSITION, AND ITS ACCELERATION ETC . Mine is an 04 and I have had it for 5 yrs which is why it is attracting problems. The other main problem I have had was the Active Steering. The STEALERSHIP had to sort that, using Diagnostic & K.D.S etc What a load of expensive cobblers!!! Stealerships need to address there PRICES especially for Mr Adverage like us.
Just thought I would pass this info. Hope It helps. Cheers Keith. P.S. The Spark also found a Thermostat Code which I also Changed at the same time. Other Blogs mention changing the Thermostate FIXED there EMISSIONS Light problems. Either way so far so good !!
P.S. P.S. IMPORTANT. I ALWAYS NOW PUT THE TOP OCTAINE PETROL IN HER as its an old car that deserves a BIGGER SPARK which will also help with Emissions.

Last edited by Keith Moon; 10-13-2013 at 06:33 AM.